Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Therefore, there is a god

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Therefore, there is a god

This post of mine didn't get the attention it deserved. So, I have to try here, see if the Higher Spirit who is inhabiting this adobe can inspire proper cogitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Logic seems definitely to prove there is a god...
    If there is no god, then it is not true that if I pray, my prayers will be answered. I don’t pray; therefore, there is a god
    Is that simple enough as a logical truth for you? Is that not intuitive? Can you even tell it's a logical truth or explain why it would or wouldn't be one?

Me, I have a simple explanation. Do you have one?
    EB
    So, this bit of propositional logic is so simple it should be understood by all here. However, it happens to be a logical truth, i.e. it is always true, which should be a real shocker for most people here since it says there is a god.

So, me, I have a simple explanation but this thread isn't about me. It's about you, and specifically whether you can question your own assumptions so as to get to the truth.

So the question is as follows:

Can you see intuitively whether it is a logical truth?

So first, if you feel intuitively it is, please tell me if you feel comfortable with a piece of logic proving there is a god?

Now, if you feel intuitively it's not a logical truth, then, just to make sure, how would you go about proving it isn't?

For those who don't have any intuition about it, you can go in peace, there's a logical truth that says a god will provide somehow.

And for all the few big mouths here who can't even argue their case, please don't waste your time, just abstain.

Thank you to all.
    EB

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It got exactly the attention it deserved. It is just tediously wrong.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

3. Top | #3
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This post of mine didn't get the attention it deserved. So, I have to try here, see if the Higher Spirit who is inhabiting this adobe can inspire proper cogitation.

If there is no god, then it is not true that if I pray, my prayers will be answered. I don’t pray; therefore, there is a god
    Is that simple enough as a logical truth for you? Is that not intuitive? Can you even tell it's a logical truth or explain why it would or wouldn't be one?

EB
    Ya, that doesn't make sense. It seems to me like you're saying that if a statement is false then the opposite of that statement is therefore true. The opposite could be false as well.

Not having a god answer the prayers of people who pray says nothing about those who don't pray. It provides no premise whatsoever to get to your "therefore".

Here's a rewording of your example:

"If there is no gasoline in the gas can, then it is not true that if I fill my car's tank with it, my car will be able to drive. I don’t fill my car's tank with it; therefore, there is gasoline in the gas can".

When you don't use it to fill your tank, you have no information about what's in the gas can. There might be gasoline in there, there might be water in there, it might be empty, etc. You haven't taken any steps at all to find out one way or the other.

4. Top | #4
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In science, I might say,

If there is no reaction between these chemicals, then when I add these ingredients, nothing will happen.
    I would be fool to then claim, "If I don't add these two chemicals together, that proves they will react."

But that appears to be what you are doing.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Non sequitur. If you don't pray no prayer can be answered. Of course those who do pray should have prayers answered if God answers prayers. Scientific tests to establish that theory have failed. Prayers for hospital patients mean to test that proposition failed to show prayers are answered.
    Cheerful Charlie

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

EB
    So, this bit of propositional logic is so simple it should be understood by all here. However, it happens to be a logical truth, i.e. it is always true, which should be a real shocker for most people here since it says there is a god.

So, me, I have a simple explanation but this thread isn't about me. It's about you, and specifically whether you can question your own assumptions so as to get to the truth.

So the question is as follows:

Can you see intuitively whether it is a logical truth?

So first, if you feel intuitively it is, please tell me if you feel comfortable with a piece of logic proving there is a god?

Now, if you feel intuitively it's not a logical truth, then, just to make sure, how would you go about proving it isn't?

For those who don't have any intuition about it, you can go in peace, there's a logical truth that says a god will provide somehow.

And for all the few big mouths here who can't even argue their case, please don't waste your time, just abstain.

Thank you to all.
    EB
    If you insist.

I don't think the word "god" is precise enough to be used in this context (and I'm not sure there is any context in which it is), so I would say: "what's a god?" But let's say that "god" means an omnimax (i.e., omnipotent, omniscient, morally perfect) agent (if you prefer to use another concept, pick your choice, but it's not relevant to the point I'm going to make).

Let

S1:= There is x such that x is a god.
    S2:= There is z such that z is a prayer said by Speakpigeon.
    S3:= There is y, z such that y is a god, z is a prayer by Speakpigeon, and y answers z.

Your argument (leaving aside the indexical reference to simplify, and trying to render the part about praying and prayers more easy to address; if you think it makes a difference, please let me know and I will adjust the reply) seems to be:

P1: ¬S1->¬(S2->S3).
    P2: ¬S2.
    C: S1.

Sure, that is valid. But I see no good reason to think P1 is true. We're talking about a material conditional here. In fact, if P2 is true, I would argue that P1 is false, and to show that, I would of course argue that there is no god!
    Now, this is limited to the definition of "god" given above. If you prefer not to define "god", then I would go with "what's a god?", and ask for any argument supporting premise P1, given the fact that P2 is true.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    If you insist.
    I don't think the word "god" is precise enough to be used in this context (and I'm not sure there is any context in which it is), so I would say: "what's a god?" But let's say that "god" means an omnimax (i.e., omnipotent, omniscient, morally perfect) agent (if you prefer to use another concept, pick your choice, but it's not relevant to the point I'm going to make).
    It is good enough that a god here be understood as whatever answers prayers and that we call "god". Good enough both for the purpose of doing logic here and as a proxy for whatever people call God that they think answers their prayers.

Let

S1:= There is x such that x is a god.
    S2:= There is z such that z is a prayer said by Speakpigeon.
    S3:= There is y, z such that y is a god, z is a prayer by Speakpigeon, and y answers z.

Your argument (leaving aside the indexical reference to simplify, and trying to render the part about praying and prayers more easy to address; if you think it makes a difference, please let me know and I will adjust the reply) seems to be:

P1: ¬S1->¬(S2->S3).
    P2: ¬S2.
    C: S1.
    OK, all good. Good job!

Sure, that is valid.
    Ah, now you're talking.

But I see no good reason to think P1 is true.
    ???

You see no reason to think that if there is no god, it is not true that if you pray then your prayers will be answered?!

Please take some more time to think about it...

We're talking about a material conditional here. In fact, if P2 is true, I would argue that P1 is false
    And that would be wrong. There are two cases where both P1 and P2 are true. Something you could check easily enough for yourself.

, and to show that, I would of course argue that there is no god!
    But P1 does assumes there is no god and still there are two cases where both P1 and P2 are true..

Now, this is limited to the definition of "god" given above. If you prefer not to define "god", then I would go with "what's a god?", and ask for any argument supporting premise P1, given the fact that P2 is true.
    Whatever answers prayers and that we call "god" would do. With that assumption and two cases where both P1 and P2 are true, I'm sure all atheists should object.

Please, look again at the conjunction "P1 and P2".

Still, I'm not sure there's anything to argue about since you've admitted the thing is valid.
    EB

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

Ya, that doesn't make sense. It seems to me like you're saying that if a statement is false then the opposite of that statement is therefore true. The opposite could be false as well.

Not having a god answer the prayers of people who pray says nothing about those who don't pray. It provides no premise whatsoever to get to your "therefore".

Here's a rewording of your example:

"If there is no gasoline in the gas can, then it is not true that if I fill my car's tank with it, my car will be able to drive. I don’t fill my car's tank with it; therefore, there is gasoline in the gas can".

When you don't use it to fill your tank, you have no information about what's in the gas can. There might be gasoline in there, there might be water in there, it might be empty, etc. You haven't taken any steps at all to find out one way or the other.
    It's not me saying it's true. I'm just reporting. The thing is a logical truth, or a tautology in modern lingo, and that's it. The paradox doesn't rely on the semantics of the words used. It's true due to form, like "X or not X" is true whatever X may be.
    EB

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Non sequitur. If you don't pray no prayer can be answered. Of course those who do pray should have prayers answered if God answers prayers. Scientific tests to establish that theory have failed. Prayers for hospital patients mean to test that proposition failed to show prayers are answered.
    That there is a god follows from te premises. Not me saying so. Just a fact. And the premises are very, very reasonable. No reason all atheists in the world shouldn't sign for them.
    EB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phands View Post
    It got exactly the attention it deserved. It is just tediously wrong.
    Well, then it should be piece of cake to explain. Could you please do that?
    EB

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If God answers prayers, but you have no prayer to answer, you get no prayer answered. How can that be wrong?

If God answers prayers, we should see those that pray get their prayers answered. Each year, many children die in hospitals from cancer. All the prayers of sorrowful parents, grandparents and others have no effect. A basic fact of life.
    Cheerful Charlie