Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 192

Thread: Therefore, there is a god

  1. Top | #21
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,135
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,797
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    An alien running a simulation might answer prayers, and most people would not call it a god, but an alien. This may well increase the overall level of confusion, which is high already just because of the type of argument you're trying to make. But I'll assume for the sake of the argument that you're right, and in particular, I will assume for the sake of the argument that any agent that answers prayers is a god.
    The logic of this argument is not dependent on the interpretation of the vocabulary. You yourself demonstrated this by substituting to the lexical vocabulary the mute variables S1, S2 and S3.

    Given this, and as far as the logic of this argument is concerned, we don't have to assume anything not already in it. In fact, you can't add any new assumption. It would be like trying to argue that p or not p might not be true if I can find some way to slip in a new proposition in there, like (p or not p) and 2 = 3. So, you can slip in something like "god doesn't exist" or some such.

    Once the logic of it is clear to you, then you have to deal with possible interpretations. On this particular point, which is important, since the logic of the argument doesn't depend on the interpretation of the vocabulary, you can take the word "god" as meaning anything you like, the argument will still be a logical truth. Now, if it's true for all interpretations, it's also true for all interpretations which we will find very annoying. We don't care that the argument can also prove there will be a tomorrow. What bothers us is that it also proves that there is a god in the usual sense of the word, or indeed in any conceivable sense of that word. What matters here is that we cannot dismiss any of these interpretations because it's there, like a pile of rubbish. Some rubbish won't bother you so much but the god one should draw your attention. This is in effect a conjunction of interpretations, all true, and so you have to pay attention to the most annoying of them because it's there and it won't go away unless you found what's really wrong with the logic of this argument, if anything at all.
    EB

  2. Top | #22
    Contributor ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,502
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    The logic of this argument.....
    What logic?

  3. Top | #23
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,135
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,797
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    How so exactly?

    Intuition is fine but you have to explain what's wrong with this statement, if anything. It won't be good enough for you merely to make suggestions as to what might be wrong there. Anyone can do that and it doesn't look good.

    I'm not saying your intuition is wrong but it's a fact that the statement is a logical truth (or tautology, in modern parlance). If you want to claim otherwise, which I would understand, you'll have to support your claim with something much more substantial than mere suggestions.
    EB
    I haven't a clue what you're on about and I doubt you have either. The conclusion does not follow. The second part is a non-sequitur and the two statements together are arguably a fallacy (affirming the consequent). How much simpler can it be put? And since the second part is not a way of restating the first part, it's not a tautology either. And nor is logical truth necessarily a tautology, as you seem to imply. You're all over the shop.

    Also, if you want to assert it's a logical truth, then you need to explain why or how it is. In fact as the thread starter and the person making the first claim (that it is a logical truth) the onus is arguably on you in the first instance.




    Let X = no god
    Let Y = pray
    Let Z = prayer answered

    What you have is :

    1. If X and Y then not Z.
    2. If not Y then X.

    The second statement does not follow from the first.
    I agree your argument here isn't a logical truth.

    See? Your first post was lacking in specifics. There was little to argue about. Now we have the details of your reasoning, it's clear it's wrong. So, I repeat, your XYZ argument here is not a logical truth. That's right. And your reasoning is wrong.
    EB

  4. Top | #24
    Contributor ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,502
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    How so exactly?

    Intuition is fine but you have to explain what's wrong with this statement, if anything. It won't be good enough for you merely to make suggestions as to what might be wrong there. Anyone can do that and it doesn't look good.

    I'm not saying your intuition is wrong but it's a fact that the statement is a logical truth (or tautology, in modern parlance). If you want to claim otherwise, which I would understand, you'll have to support your claim with something much more substantial than mere suggestions.
    EB
    I haven't a clue what you're on about and I doubt you have either. The conclusion does not follow. The second part is a non-sequitur and the two statements together are arguably a fallacy (affirming the consequent). How much simpler can it be put? And since the second part is not a way of restating the first part, it's not a tautology either. And nor is logical truth necessarily a tautology, as you seem to imply. You're all over the shop.

    Also, if you want to assert it's a logical truth, then you need to explain why or how it is. In fact as the thread starter and the person making the first claim (that it is a logical truth) the onus is arguably on you in the first instance.




    Let X = no god
    Let Y = pray
    Let Z = prayer answered

    What you have is :

    1. If X and Y then not Z.
    2. If not Y then X.

    The second statement does not follow from the first.
    I agree your argument here isn't a logical truth.

    See? Your first post was lacking in specifics. There was little to argue about. Now we have the details of your reasoning, it's clear it's wrong. So, I repeat, your XYZ argument here is not a logical truth. That's right. And your reasoning is wrong.
    EB
    You're a waste of space.

    Bye.

    ps My XYZ argument (which is actually your argument) was not meant to constitute a logical truth. That was the point. Duh.

  5. Top | #25
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,135
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,797
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    The logic of this argument.....
    What logic?
    Give me a list of logics I could pick and choose from.
    EB

  6. Top | #26
    Contributor ruby sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,502
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    The logic of this argument.....
    What logic?
    Give me a list of logics I could pick and choose from.
    EB
    No. You claim it's a logical truth. So how is it?

    Never mid.

  7. Top | #27
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,135
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,797
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    I agree your argument here isn't a logical truth.

    See? Your first post was lacking in specifics. There was little to argue about. Now we have the details of your reasoning, it's clear it's wrong. So, I repeat, your XYZ argument here is not a logical truth. That's right. And your reasoning is wrong.
    EB
    You're a waste of space.

    Bye.
    If you're not prepared to question your own assumptions it's just as well you give up early rather than late.

    Still, you have been given all the elements you need. You're right your XYZ argument is not a logical truth. But mine there is a god argument is. So?

    Also, somebody else did what you tried. So, you may want to look at what he has done.
    EB

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    Give me a list of logics I could pick and choose from.
    EB
    No. You claim it's a logical truth. So how is it?

    Never mid.
    Can't you give me a short list of the logics you had in mind?
    EB

  8. Top | #28
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,135
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,797
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    ps My XYZ argument (which is actually your argument) was not meant to constitute a logical truth. That was the point. Duh.
    Do you think I didn't know that? Whoa! I'm so incredibly stupid these days. Sometimes it feels like I'm talking to you in French for all you seem to understand.

    Still, look at your post here, it includes an assumption that's not true.

    And I don't mean "duh"!
    EB

  9. Top | #29
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    7,337
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    16,377
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

    "If there is no gasoline in the gas can, then it is not true that if I fill my car's tank with it, my car will be able to drive.
    I don’t fill my car's tank with it;
    therefore, there is gasoline in the gas can".
    It's not me saying it's true. I'm just reporting. The thing is a logical truth, or a tautology in modern lingo, and that's it.
    That's not a truth.
    If some "system" of logic contends that it's a truth, then I can propose an easy-peasy experiment to refute your logic system.

    Step One. Get an empty gas can.
    Step two. Get you to recite your "logical truth"
    Step Three. Look in the gas can.

    Conclusion: Logic system refuted, declared useless.


    So maybe your point was to either
    A. show that this "logic" system is useless and gives false results or
    B. Demonstrate that you do not understand how to use the logic system.


    (Anyone want to place any bets?)

  10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,013
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    2,604
    Rep Power
    61
    Can this all be merged with Anselm's ontological masterpiece? And at that point I'll put on the loudest music I have and scream over it -- because that would be logical.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •