Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Kid "proves" Hawking in wrong - God exists!

  1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    22,778
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    65,251
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    Yes, to me it does.
    But feel free to mind your own business if you think it doesn't matter.
    [zoidberg]Ohhhhhhhhhh.[/zoidberg]

  2. Top | #22
    Senior Member excreationist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    535
    Archived
    4,886
    Total Posts
    5,421
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by phands View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    If Vishnu is real then atheism is false.
    By your own asswipe religion and your own "logic", vishnu isn't real, and so Atheism is correct.
    If I have a son then the belief I'm childless is false.

    I don't have a son therefore I am childless. (but what if I have a daughter?)

    I'm not sure what that fallacy is called.

  3. Top | #23
    Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    9,519
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    17,566
    Rep Power
    61

  4. Top | #24
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,133
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    31,610
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    My religion is theism.
    No it isn't. Theism is a class of religious beliefs, not a belief in itself.
    Yours is atheism.
    So if any Supreme Being exists - I'm right and you are wrong.
    By the exact same logic:

    I believe in unicorns.
    My religion is therefore that animals exist.
    If any animal exists, unicorns exist.
    Cows exist; Therefore unicorns exist.

    This is undeniable, because it's possible that cows and unicorns are ONE in the same animal.

    You probably will never realize or understand this, but thinking things through logically is much harder than you seem to imagine it to be, and you are spectacularly bad at it. I mean, really, really awful. It leads you to the most hilariously absurd arguments, and totally unsupported conclusions.

  5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member Sarpedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    MN, US
    Posts
    2,885
    Archived
    8,446
    Total Posts
    11,331
    Rep Power
    65
    So they are making more hype about the same kid? Can't they find more than one 'genius' homeschooler? I think they are setting themselves up for disappointment...or a new Fox News pundit.

  6. Top | #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    857
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,656
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

    Yes, to me it does.
    But feel free to mind your own business if you think it doesn't matter.


    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Did Stephen Hawking really say “God does not exist”?
    You can't prove that Vishnu doesn't exist, therefore Vishnu is real, therefore the Bible is wrong when it says your god is the one and only god.
    If Vishnu is real then atheism is false.
    (highlight mine)

    True. If Vishnu exists, and is a supernatural entity as described by Hindu mythology (Vishnu is one avatar or representation of the three gods that represent the Hindu holy trinity), then atheism is false.

    Do you think Vishnu is real?
    Last edited by atrib; 09-25-2018 at 03:56 AM.

  7. Top | #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    857
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,656
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    If the burden of proof works the way you say, then yes, atheism is false, but that also means that all the gods of all the religions are true, which means the Bible is definitely false because the Bible claims to represent the one and only true god.
    Only if Vishnu and Jehovah aren't ONE in the same Being
    True. But the mythological Vishnu bears no resemblance to the mythological Biblegod, so one should not begin with the assumption that they are the same entity. Vishnu and Biblegod both appear to be fictional characters created by our Bronze Age ancestors in an attempt to answer questions that humans at the time could not possibly have answered.

    So, are you claiming that they are the one and the same? I know you never tell us what you actually believe, probably because you don't want to be shown that these beliefs are inconsistent with reality, but this game you have been playing gets old.

    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer
    So either you can admit that you're doing the burden of proof wrong and abandon your insistence that other people disprove your truth claims, or you can keep insisting that it's our job to disprove your god,
    I don't insist that others disprove my claims.
    Quite the opposite.

    When did you ever hear me say anything like...atheists have the burden of proof?
    The persuasive burden rests on the person who WANTS to persuade.

    And if atheists wish to remain unpersuasive that's fine by me
    This "I am not going to commit to anything" has been played out for all its worth. Try something new for a change.

  8. Top | #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    857
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    3,656
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    My religion is theism.
    Your religion is whatever specific set of religious beliefs you adhere to. Be that a sect of Christianity or any other set of beliefs that someone has made up. Theism is a generic term that describes the belief in an existence of a supernatural entity or entities.

    Yours is atheism.
    Atheism is not a religion, it is the absence of religious beliefs, or a rejection of theistic beliefs in the existence of a supernatural entity or entities


    So if any Supreme Being exists - I'm right and you are wrong.
    That is dependent on how the term "Supreme Being" is defined. Would you like to define what a "Supreme Being" is in your mind so we can have an actual conversation?

  9. Top | #29
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,040
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Only if Vishnu and Jehovah aren't ONE in the same Being
    Yawn.

    Exodus 20:3— You shall have no other gods before me.

    Exodus 20:4–You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God,

    Deuteronomy 4:35,39 — Unto thee it was shown, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. (39) Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

    Deuteronomy32:39 — See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

    2 Samuel 7:22 — Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God; for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

    1 Kings 8:60 — That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

    2 KINGS 5:15 — And he returned to the man of God, he and all his company, and came, and stood before him: and he said, Behold, now I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel; now therefore, I pray thee, take a blessing of thy servant.

    Isaiah43:10,11 — Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he:before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no savior.

    Isaiah44:6,8 — Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.Fear ye not, neither be afraid; have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

    Isaiah 45:21 — Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time: who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Savior; there is none beside me.

    Isaiah 46:9 — For I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.

    Hosea 13:4 — Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me; for there is no savior beside me.

    Joel 2:27 — And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.

    Zechariah 14:9 — And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

    Mark 12:29-34 —And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

    John 17:3 — And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

    Romans 3:30 — Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

    1 Corinthians 8:4-6 — As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 11-17-2018, 03:38 PM
  2. Campus "rape", a clear indication the univsities are doing it wrong
    By Loren Pechtel in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 08-14-2017, 09:18 PM
  3. AU take the wrong side in suit about a companies "head covering" policy
    By ronburgundy in forum Separation of Church & State
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2014, 06:41 PM
  4. Creation Museum To Display Dinosaur That "Proves" Biblical Flood
    By Potoooooooo in forum Religions vs. Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •