Thread: Noah and the flood

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phands View Post
    There was no noah. There was no flood.

Move on.
    And who the fuck are you? Pope of the internet?...heeheeeheeeheee.

It was an obious quetion for theists to respond to. I always have to rember to connect the dots for people.
    Dunno about pope....maybe an antipope. And why bother to debate the never-happened with idiots who cite abject guff like what LIRC regurgitated?

We must be about due for a replay of the moronic Walt Brown and his HydroPlates brain-fart.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    All things are possible for God
    (See Luke 1:37)
    Actually that summarizes thjem ,odern history of Christianity and sconce. God works in mysterious ways unfathomable to us mere humans.

When cornered in an argument and can not fit an explanation into scripture say it is god that made it happen. There are different fossils at different depts. in the Earth, god must have placed them there when he created the Earth, circa 19th century.

3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    I forgot this one, Cosby as Noah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA

4. Top | #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
    Hey Lion, can you tell me when all this happened?
    Nope. I don’t even have strong opinion.
    And neither is it a matter of Christian orthodoxy or salvation to believe in a particular timeline.

How long was it from the ark to the tower of Babel, for existence? And the date of the Tower please. Because according to the bible, the races didn't start diverging after the ark, but after the Tower.
    The word “race” is unscientific. Show me the science which defines where one race begins and another race stops.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quite correct. The concept was quite popular among Christians over the years. Call it groups sharing the same language then.

And your timeline evasions are telling. I'm not asking about christian orthodoxy. I'm wondering when all this had time to happen. You can't leave for 15 minutes and then come back claiming you've played an entire regulation soccer game and not raise a few eyebrows.

If you think these are literal events that had to happen, you must have at least some idea of when they happened. We've had this conversation before, and I expected you would dodge again, but I have to shine the spotlight on your dishonesty whenever I can. It's really quite comical that one would have the opinion that certain things definitely happened, and that it is important to believe that they did, but it is absolutely unimportant to have an opinion on when they happened.

As I said before: If you say that something happened, it is fair for me to ask 'when?' If you can't answer 'when?' you have to answer 'well why do you think it happened, if you don't know when?'

6. Top | #16
    Scientists aren’t dishonest when they say they don’t know.
    It’s not timeline evasion.

7. Top | #17
    Is Sarpedon Greatest Iam ?

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quite correct. The concept was quite popular among Christians over the years. Call it groups sharing the same language then.

And your timeline evasions are telling. I'm not asking about christian orthodoxy. I'm wondering when all this had time to happen. You can't leave for 15 minutes and then come back claiming you've played an entire regulation soccer game and not raise a few eyebrows.

If you think these are literal events that had to happen, you must have at least some idea of when they happened. We've had this conversation before, and I expected you would dodge again, but I have to shine the spotlight on your dishonesty whenever I can. It's really quite comical that one would have the opinion that certain things definitely happened, and that it is important to believe that they did, but it is absolutely unimportant to have an opinion on when they happened.

As I said before: If you say that something happened, it is fair for me to ask 'when?' If you can't answer 'when?' you have to answer 'well why do you think it happened, if you don't know when?'
    My favorite timeline ridiculousness has to do with evolution...
    Somehow, a single boatload of critters exploded into more than a hundred million species after the Good Ship Ark I ran aground. Okay, that might be something that some quasi-reasonable people can accept. But it is simply not believable that nobody bothered to note the thousands of new species that were popping up every week/day/hour during this amazing event. I know that if a crockoduck suddenly appeared in my yard or aquarium, I'd be more than a little bit dumbfounded and would do whatever was in my power to document it. Almost all of these new species would be like crockoducks to those humans who were around to witness their appearance. But not one word about it - anywhere.
    This problem also goes to the distribution of that hundred million species. I truly love the creo notion that kangaroos were blown to Australia by a volcano and some of the other straws to which they cling to try to "address" this little problem (when they actually try).

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    When cornered in an argument and can not fit an explanation into scripture say it is god that made it happen. There are different fossils at different depts. in the Earth, god must have placed them there when he created the Earth, circa 19th century.
    Lol - reminds me of a CARM conversation wherein I asked about the fact that old earth geologic theory pointed Neil Shubin's team to the exposed Devonian rock on Ellesmere Island, and old earth evolutionary theory implied that a transitional "fishapod", if it ever existed, should appear in such rock. So they went to Ellesmere island for several summers, and lo and behold, found the predicted fishapod (tiktaalik). I asked how that could have happened if both old-earth geology and old-earth evolution theories were incorrect. Was God simply favoring scientists over his "faithful", or what?
    The only answer I got was this:
    "Simple. They just looked in the Fish Layer!"

This, at a site that bans not only "Fundies Say The Darnedest Things", but even the acronym FSTDT!!!

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've always been Sarpedon.

You are correct that scientists often admit uncertainty. However that does not mean they don't at least have a guess. Name one thing that scientists say happened, but they don't even give a range of when. I'm not asking for a precise date. How about a 500 year range, can you do that?