Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metaphysics Competition

1. Top | #1
    Contributor

Metaphysics Competition

Are there any aspiring Kants out there?

Put together in one post the most convoluted but consistent display of argument and metaphysics you can muster. Any topic.

Knock our socks off with mental gymnastics and contortionism.

If there are responses, at some point we will all judge the best. One post only and no revisions once the edit option times out. Sate the goal at the top.

Gentlemen and women, start your keyboards.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts

Goal: Explanation of Reality

WAB's Theory of Metaphysics (summary):

The in-itself and the for-itself are not identical to the within and the without, at least not with respect to the multitude of identification algorithms which co-depend in intellibility, contradiction, and ambiguity. However, one should not leap to unfounded assumptions regarding analysis and synthesis, for the analytic subsists in the intermediary between substance and non-being, whereas synthesis is the confluence of instantiation and movement: movement being the abnegation of stasis at the transverse of universal antipodes. It should be mentioned that none of this should be confused with truth, since truth contravenes on conceptual dogmatism and borders on sensation beyond the powers of induction or deduction. Therefore, p and not-p are not equal to determination nor negation, which follows from above, and contingent on this is the necessity for the recalibration of the phenomenology of thought, albeit thought qua thought is merely the by-itself and transcends the in-itself and the for-itself, and even the of-itself, for that matter. Did anyone notice that matter rhymes with hatter? The author wished to be a milliner as a youth in Vienna, but he was laughed at; yet this is neither here nor there. In fact, here and there do not exist, except in a black hole, where they are complete opposites, or exactly the same, depending on one's point of view. Now where was I? ...

Last edited by WAB; 10-10-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

3. Top | #3
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Are there any aspiring Kants out there?

Put together in one post the most convoluted but consistent display of argument and metaphysics you can muster. Any topic.

Knock our socks off with mental gymnastics and contortionism.

If there are responses, at some point we will all judge the best. One post only and no revisions once the edit option times out. Sate the goal at the top.

Gentlemen and women, start your keyboards.
    Can I just say Star Trek universe and not type it all out? It's convoluted but can be made sufficiently coherent through said mental gymnastics and contortionism. That's my entry.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Main
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    The in-itself and the for-itself are not identical to the within and the without, at least not with respect to the multitude of identification algorithms which co-depend ... where they are complete opposites, or exactly the same, depending on one's point of view. Now where was I? ...

Sir, you are an artist!

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    The in-itself and the for-itself are not identical to the within and the without, at least not with respect to the multitude of identification algorithms which co-depend ... where they are complete opposites, or exactly the same, depending on one's point of view. Now where was I? ...

Sir, you are an artist!
    A work of art.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Thanks Bomb, and Steve.

But where are all the other entries? This is easy-peasy. I would personally love to read the metaphysical navel-gazings of my fellow travelers here. I might even offer rebuttals (absurdly, of course).

And Floof's: I think this was supposed to be absurd and funny. Star Trek - so damn serious.

Berkeley is very funny. You can open any one of his books and quote from anywhere. And no-one alive will know where you got it from.

As well with Kant, and Hegel.

Anyone ever tried to read Aristotle's Prior and/or Posterior Analytics? You will be mind-boggled within a few pages, and beg for death.

Spinoza*. Now there's the man. The "Prince of philosophers" - Deleuze (who was no slouch). See his work on the importance of film on the public mind.

Just look at that face.

He had attacks on his life and didn't blink an eye. He lived on soup and his pipe. He declined a position at a great academy in preference of a life as a lens grinder. He allowed his sister to take a large inheritance from him, without contesting.

Read Spinoza! And forget (if you can) the God element. He discussed emotions, the psychological make up of humans, like no-one else. Give the man a chance.

Ethica is a must read for anyone interested in philosophy.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    T
    And Floof's: I think this was supposed to be absurd and funny. Star Trek - so damn serious.
    Not sure I understand you. Are you saying Star Trek is too serious for this thread?
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    T
    Not sure I understand you. Are you saying Star Trek is too serious for this thread?
    Well, yes. I'm pretty sure Steve meant it to be less than serious. Steve??

If I am wrong, deepest apologies, and I love Star Trek.

I should also mention that Berkeley, Kant, and Hegel, are tremendously funny.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    T
    Well, yes. I'm pretty sure Steve meant it to be less than serious. Steve??

If I am wrong, deepest apologies, and I love Star Trek.

I should also mention that Berkeley, Kant, and Hegel, are tremendously funny.
    Yes, it's obvious that it's a light hearted thread, just humor. It's just weird that someone thinks Star Trek is not light hearted and humorous. It's one of the most light hearted and humorous things in existence. So I was a bit confused at your response.
    The Authoritarians

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sorry again! Sure, there's a lot of humor in Star Trek.

I've seen TOS over and over again. I've practically memorized each episode. I could win many quatloos in TOS comps; but I know nothing about the NG or anything else.

My apologies, Floof. I have misspoken.