Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: I can easily prove that God does not exist, but...

1. Top | #231
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That doesn't explain how such distinguished scientists like the co head of the Human Genome mapping project, Francis Collins is a creationist. Anyone would thing that he of all people should know better.

I think that even a genius like Charles Darwin were/are able to automatically switch off the reasoning part of their brains when it comes to belief in magic.

2. Top | #232
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    That doesn't explain how such distinguished scientists like the co head of the Human Genome mapping project, Francis Collins is a creationist. Anyone would thing that he of all people should know better.

I think that even a genius like Charles Darwin were/are able to automatically switch off the reasoning part of their brains when it comes to belief in magic.
    Our brains are as wired to pretend. It's an essential part of making the brain what it is. Even language is part of that process because those sounds we make that we associate with objects and experiences are just that, associations.

3. Top | #233
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

If you ever read Collin's book, "The Language Of God", (I have) you'd know Collins is not a creationist. He spends a fair amount of his book debunking creationism. Collins is a Darwinist. He believes in guided evolution.
    Cheerful Charlie

4. Top | #234
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

If you ever read Collin's book, "The Language Of God", (I have) you'd know Collins is not a creationist. He spends a fair amount of his book debunking creationism. Collins is a Darwinist. He believes in guided evolution.
    He believes in the " Fine Tuning" hypothesis! What's the difference between the two? I also attempted to read The Language Of God. Unfortunately I found it speculative. Not at all factually based.

5. Top | #235
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

He believes in the " Fine Tuning" hypothesis! What's the difference between the two? I also attempted to read The Language Of God. Unfortunately I found it speculative. Not at all factually based.

In his book, Collins knocks down creationism, Intelligent design and finally settles on theistic evolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution
    Francis Collins describes theistic evolution as the position that "evolution is real, but that it was set in motion by God",[3] and characterizes it as accepting "that evolution occurred as biologists describe it, but under the direction of God".

It is an old idea, by no means new with Collins. It predates Darwin. Darwin pretty much killed that off with natural selection, as far as it being science. It is what is left after creationism and ID is debunked, for sophisticated religious believers who need an hypothesis to save their religion.
    Cheerful Charlie

6. Top | #236
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Exactly my point! Collins and others like him just cannot let go the idea of God.