Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video essay about Columbus, bad but not pure evil?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Video essay about Columbus, bad but not pure evil?

This is an interesting and seemingly fair video about Columbus.

What is interesting about this video is that he contends that the events around the time of Columbus and shortly after him did happen that Columbus' name was used as a dumping ground for the records of these terrible acts to save the reputations of the true actors. Was it easy then for these explorers to pass out terrible acts on an immediate predecessor?

So let's say that Columbus was a 2 on the evil scale of his time but a 8.5 for our current scale should statues come down? What if was an 8 for his time and a 9.6 for our time?

As a background on the guy who made the video, he is usually a bit to the left, his videos on current immigration I think skews left as well as the one about guns. He seems to hang with a somewhat left crew as well. I think that the more removed the topic is from our time the more unbiased he seems.

Finally, despite the status of Columbus being seen as a fairly decent man or a sick, evil man will have political implications now, it is better to try and find out what he was like with as little bias as possible.

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It is an excellent and accurate speech. And he cuts through the myths. Very much enjoyed watching it.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How unsurprising to find Jolly enthusiastically agreeing with something posted by someone who is openly fascist. Really, I'm shocked. Can't you see how shocked I am? This is my shocked face. OK, you can't see my face right now, but I assure you that it looks really shocked. Like this:

Anyway, i'm not going to bother clicking on one of Repo's links. The last time I did that, I had to sit through an interminably long and rambling video that didn't admit to the topic of discussion until near the end. I'm just don't have the patience for fascist arguments or even the nature of fascist arguments.

Disclaimer: Before any conservatives or libertarians (who are completely different, it's just a coincidence that they tend to take the same positions on the same topics using similar arguments) get their panties in a wad, I recognize that by criticizing fascists, that proves that I am the real fascist here. Because only a fascist would be horrible enough to say anything bad about fascists.

Columbus Day is a holiday largely because Catholic-Americans wanted a holiday that celebrated a Catholic. At the time, Columbus was the most popular Catholic historical figure thanks to the poorly researched ramblings of some novelist who thought that Columbus was the one who "discovered" that the world is round. Seriously, they could have and should have picked any other Catholic…

…OK, almost any other Catholic and have been better served. Instead, in an age when everyone is yelling about the Catholic church molesting children, we are talking about Columbus and his buddies giving each other underage female slaves as gifts and/or party favors. Columbus is perhaps the one and only historical figure Americans can point at and say "Wow, that guy was really horrible to indigenous people" without being laughed out of the room for rank hypocrisy.

4. Top | #4
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    ^^^

Columbus day was not instituted to glorify Catholics. It was a day for Italian-Americans - the Italians generally happened to be Catholic but then so were the Irish but the Irish got St.Patrick's day. Neither was for their religion but for their country of origin.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    ^^^

Columbus day was not instituted to glorify Catholics. It was a day for Italian-Americans - the Italians generally happened to be Catholic but then so were the Irish but the Irish got St.Patrick's day. Neither was for their religion but for their country of origin.
    Thanks for the info

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Whether Columbus himself, specifically, was evil is a non-sequitur toward the argument of whether his statues should come down.

One way or another he symbolizes the conquest and massacre of an entire culture of people for the profit of Europe. If you were a native looking at his statue you wouldn't think: it's cool, he was one of the few European explorers that didn't brutally massacre and enslave my ancestors.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer
    How unsurprising to find Jolly enthusiastically agreeing with something posted by someone who is openly fascist.
    I also agree that trains should run on time. So did Hitler. Oh the horror.

Had you actually watched the video, you would have seen that the guy in it agrees with pretty much everything you said.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer
    How unsurprising to find Jolly enthusiastically agreeing with something posted by someone who is openly fascist.
    I also agree that trains should run on time. So did Hitler. Oh the horror.

Had you actually watched the video, you would have seen that the guy in it agrees with pretty much everything you said.
    I am more of a Nazbol.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    If repoman is a fascist than Underseer is a pedophile. Words mean whatever we want them to mean, right?

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    How was Columbus singulary evil compared to all the rest in the world, and where on Earth including the Americaas where there was something different?

American native cultures were violent and warlike. They wared on each other and had whatto us toaday grotesque rituals in some cultures.

It is easy to bash Columbus et al. Much harder to take an objective balanced view.