1. Top | #41
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post

Sometimes I do.

- - - Updated - - -

Just on principle, I don't like any sandwich that I have to moosh in order to get it into my mouth. Those burgers are clearly too tall to fit in a normal human mouth without mooshing.
    True...How about this ?

Open-faced? Eh.

2. Top | #42
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

True...How about this ?

Open-faced? Eh.
    I think the top’s off for promotional purposes only.
    A tall burger is an unruly burger and needs to be cut and rotated ninty degrees to be made manageable but this shouldn’t be the case. Too thick of a patty or heaven forbid a double patty overwhelms the condiments and for my taste then requires dipping.
    It’s all so unnecessary. Food should be civilized. I should not need more than one quality paper napkin. Nothing should drop to the table, floor, or shirt while eating. I should not have to worry about schmutz at the corners of my mouth. Finally, no food should run down between my fingers.

3. Top | #43
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post

True...How about this ?

Open-faced? Eh.
    A tall burger is an unruly burger and needs to be cut and rotated ninty degrees to be made manageable but this shouldn’t be the case. Too thick of a patty or heaven forbid a double patty overwhelms the condiments and for my taste then requires dipping.
    It’s all so unnecessary. Food should be civilized. I should not need more than one quality paper napkin. Nothing should drop to the table, floor, or shirt while eating. I should not have to worry about schmutz at the corners of my mouth. Finally, no food should run down between my fingers.
    That reminds me: the other day I bought a chicken caesar wrap at a local grocery store. The dressing was in a little packet I could barely get open, the chicken was dry, and the entire thing fell apart as I tried to consume it. I had to scoop most of the contents up out of the silly plastic container it was sold in. I don't usually get angry at food, but that wrap irritated me.

It didn't look like this one:

I was married to a Mexican woman. She used to say that part of the fun of eating a taco was taking the remains of your first taco (from the plate it dribbled onto) and making another one.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

4. Top | #44
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

5. Top | #45
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Had an outstanding olive burger from Halo Burger last time I was in Michigan. Nothing in recent memory comes close.
    I've heard Halo Burger makes great burgers. Kind of a lower Michigan staple but I've never had one. Closest HB to me is in Flint.
    That got me curious. I discovered that an olive burger means it has olive tapenade of some kind. That does sound delicious, have to give it a try.

6. Top | #46
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Had an outstanding olive burger from Halo Burger last time I was in Michigan. Nothing in recent memory comes close.
    I've heard Halo Burger makes great burgers. Kind of a lower Michigan staple but I've never had one. Closest HB to me is in Flint.
    That got me curious. I discovered that an olive burger means it has olive tapenade of some kind. That does sound delicious, have to give it a try.
    The olives were in a sauce, but they weren't finely chopped. Coarsely chopped, I guess.

7. Top | #47
    Archived
    Total Posts

True...How about this ?

Open-faced? Eh.
    I disagree. Good food can make a mess, but there's a limit to how much of that I will accept from a burger.

I like to eat an extra wet Chicago style Italian beef directly over a side salad. A good Italian beef will make a hell of a mess if you try to eat it like a sandwich (not the way it was originally meant to be eaten), and if you make that mess directly on top of a side salad, I promise that you will be rewarded for your troubles.

8. Top | #48
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post

That reminds me: the other day I bought a chicken caesar wrap at a local grocery store. The dressing was in a little packet I could barely get open, the chicken was dry, and the entire thing fell apart as I tried to consume it. I had to scoop most of the contents up out of the silly plastic container it was sold in. I don't usually get angry at food, but that wrap irritated me.

It didn't look like this one:

I was married to a Mexican woman. She used to say that part of the fun of eating a taco was taking the remains of your first taco (from the plate it dribbled onto) and making another one.
    I agree with her, although she's the expert not me.

9. Top | #49
    Contributor
    Although I still love a grilled burger, especially lamb with goat cheese, I've come to love a diner-style smash burger cooked on a smoking hot cast iron griddle. The key is to put it on the hot griddle as a ball, then smash it with a good heavy and stiff grilling spatula. It forms uneven/broken edges that get crispy, and the sear carmelized the fat (75% lean is best). Of course, with thin burgers, to get the right meat:bun ratio you need to have two patties, but that's okay b/c the double cheeseburger is among humanity's greatest achievements. Another benefit to this approach is that a dried out burger is not an issue, so you don't need to (and cannot b/c it's too thin) cook it rare. Which means you don't need to worry as much about how fresh and safely handled the meat is.
    With this type of burger, I go with classic, toppings of onion, lettuce, pickle, and "special sauce" (essentially a combo of homemade thousand Island and Russian dressings). It's also the only time I eat American Cheese (though quality stuff like boars head, not that vile plastic wrapped slices stuff). American just melts so nice and creamy and doesn't overpower the flavor of the meat. The bun needs to be light and airy with just enough substance to it to get the burger into my face hole without falling apart.

Another important thing I recently learned is that you should not salt the meat until right before you cook it. Salt dissolves some of the meat proteins, but causes insoluble proteins to bind together, which creates a dense springy texture that is good for making a sausage but bad for burgers.

On a related topic, have you ever noticed that the best smelling burgers are those being grilled a couple houses away?
    I have a theory that the more tasty flavor molecules travel further, so a the smell is actually better a bit away that right where they are being cooked.

10. Top | #50
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Two thin patties allows for more browned surface area.

With flame-broiled burgers, the flavor comes from rendered fat dripping onto coals, and the resulting smoke wafting back up to the burger. With grilled burgers, it's all about the Maillard reactions (sugars + high heat → brown areas on your food).