Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Religious Leader Was Removed from a Jeff Sessions Event for Quoting the Bible

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

A Religious Leader Was Removed from a Jeff Sessions Event for Quoting the Bible

Wow, that good old true-xtian love just shining out again.....

Two religious leaders were forcibly removed from an event Attorney General Jeff Sessions was speaking at after they interrupted his speech to quote the Bible — specifically, the book of Matthew.

Sessions was speaking at a Federalist Society event in Boston this morning when the protest occurred.

The first man, who said he, like Sessions, was a member of the United Methodist Church, stood up to paraphrase Matthew 25:42-43. After repeating the verse, he tried appealing to Sessions using their shared faith:

Brother Jeff, as a fellow United Methodist, I call upon you to repent, to care for those in need, to remember that when you do not care for others you are wounding the body of Christ.

That’s what it looks like when religion is a force for good.

As security forces descended upon the man, Sessions thanked him for his “remarks” while also referring to them as an “attack.”

I would just tell you we do our best every day to fulfill our responsibility to enforce the laws of the United States.

It’s hard to believe that given Sessions’ efforts to detain immigrant children at the border, separating them from their parents in a way that does nothing to make the country safer. In June, Sessions was condemned by hundreds of United Methodist leaders for that very reason.
    Another religious leader, a Baptist minister, jumped in to defend the first man, but he was also removed. The audience booed him and urged him to “go home.”
    Xtianity is such a piece of filth....

http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2...ing-the-bible/
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett

2. Top | #2
    Quote Originally Posted by phands View Post
    Wow, that good old true-xtian love just shining out again.....

Two religious leaders were forcibly removed from an event Attorney General Jeff Sessions was speaking at after they interrupted his speech to quote the Bible — specifically, the book of Matthew.

Sessions was speaking at a Federalist Society event in Boston this morning when the protest occurred.

The first man, who said he, like Sessions, was a member of the United Methodist Church, stood up to paraphrase Matthew 25:42-43. After repeating the verse, he tried appealing to Sessions using their shared faith:

Brother Jeff, as a fellow United Methodist, I call upon you to repent, to care for those in need, to remember that when you do not care for others you are wounding the body of Christ.

That’s what it looks like when religion is a force for good.

As security forces descended upon the man, Sessions thanked him for his “remarks” while also referring to them as an “attack.”

I would just tell you we do our best every day to fulfill our responsibility to enforce the laws of the United States.

It’s hard to believe that given Sessions’ efforts to detain immigrant children at the border, separating them from their parents in a way that does nothing to make the country safer. In June, Sessions was condemned by hundreds of United Methodist leaders for that very reason.
    Another religious leader, a Baptist minister, jumped in to defend the first man, but he was also removed. The audience booed him and urged him to “go home.”
    Xtianity is such a piece of filth....

http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2...ing-the-bible/
    A "piece of filth"? You think interrupting Jeff Sessions is that serious a crime? I'd do it just to watch his stupid old face crinkle up, he's not a friend to anyone decent.

3. Top | #3
    So....some religious people stand up for what we might call decent human standards...and.....you call the whole religion filth? I must be missing something.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    If Jesus returned and stared preaching in the face of Christian power elite as he did to Jewish power elites he would again get crucified. This time by Christians.

5. Top | #5
    He did cross a provincial border with a crowd of hundreds of poor, diseased people. More than once. Also: Jewish.

6. Top | #6
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    If Jesus returned and stared preaching in the face of Christian power elite as he did to Jewish power elites he would again get crucified. This time by Christians.
    I do think filth is too strong a word.

I have also made the claim that pious christians would crucify the same jesus again today in the same way and they all agreed with me. Christian religion is strange that way. It does not appear to be a religion that wants you to make the world more peaceful and loving. Instead, Just resign yourself to the fact that you are a helpless, heinous, incorrigible, miserable, black-hearted sinner and Jesus will love you - even if you kill him.

7. Top | #7
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post

I have also made the claim that pious christians would crucify the same jesus again today in the same way and they all agreed with me. Christian religion is strange that way. It does not appear to be a religion that wants you to make the world more peaceful and loving. Instead, Just resign yourself to the fact that you are a helpless, heinous, incorrigible, miserable, black-hearted sinner and Jesus will love you - even if you kill him.
    If one ignores Jesus' actual teachings on love, yes.

A lot of Christians love Jesus sort in the way an inexperienced young man "loves" a prostitute. Sure, they'll use him for his body, give him money, even have very strong emotions about both those things. But they wouldn't invite him home for dinner, and they definitely wouldn't welcome his political opinions.

8. Top | #8
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

A lot of Christians love Jesus sort in the way an inexperienced young man "loves" a prostitute. Sure, they'll use him for his body, give him money, even have very strong emotions about both those things. But they wouldn't invite him home for dinner, and they definitely wouldn't welcome his political opinions.
    So we are in agreement.

It's a fascinating and revealing observation. Every christian I have ever encountered is in agreement with this sentiment. Why, then, do they ignore the teachings?

"Why don't they answer? Why don't they sing?"

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

So we are in agreement.

It's a fascinating and revealing observation. Every christian I have ever encountered is in agreement with this sentiment. Why, then, do they ignore the teachings?

"Why don't they answer? Why don't they sing?"
    It's easier. Humans are more prefentially efficient than they are inherently moral, and I think this is true of all of us.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When the definitive history of this awful presidency is written, one of its indelibly obscene moments will be Sessions reading from the Letter to the Romans to justify the baby kidnappings our government does at the border in all of our names. What a toad.