Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Condiments

1. Top | #11
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My go to's start with Lawry's seasoned salt and red cayenne pepper. Love it on my morning eggs along with Frank's hot sauce. For chicken, honey mustard. For Barbeque sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's honey sauce. Personally I'd go with something spicier but my wife doesn't do spicy.

Lots of other spices in the cupboard but the above are the basics.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Burgers and fries get ketchup only. Any special sauces and concoctions are too freu frueu for me. Burgers and fries are meant to ne simple.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Burgers and fries get ketchup only. Any special sauces and concoctions are too freu frueu for me. Burgers and fries are meant to ne simple.
    When I had heart failure, I was put on a low salt diet, during which I was told the occasional hamburger was OK, but no sauces or pickles.

The pickles have returned, but I got used to having burgers without ketchup or mustard or anything. It turns out that if you use hot peppers of some kind and a fresh veggies, the sauces aren't needed.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I used to believe this too, but now like burgers with everything. Mustard, ketchup, mayo and lots of fixins.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    A plain burger made with fresh ground beef on a fresh what I grew up calling a hard roll can be good.

A good roll or bun other than the usual fluffed burger buns is important.

6. Top | #16
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    When I had heart failure, I was put on a low salt diet, during which I was told the occasional hamburger was OK, but no sauces or pickles.

The pickles have returned, but I got used to having burgers without ketchup or mustard or anything. It turns out that if you use hot peppers of some kind and a fresh veggies, the sauces aren't needed.
    Condiments were invented to make bad food taste bearable. Good food doesn't need them - indeed, condiments block the experience of really good food.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

Condiments were invented to make bad food taste bearable. Good food doesn't need them - indeed, condiments block the experience of really good food.
    1. We Americans are admittedly a bit sauce-obsessed.
    2. Then again, there are plenty of Japanese dishes that just aren't the same without certain sauces or condiments.
    3. In Italy, pasta sauces are referred to as condimento.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

On burgers, avocado. It adds a touch of moisture and a creamy texture like mayonnaise, but no salt. The mild flavor of avocado is good too. Better than mayonnaise in my opinion. A little lemon juice works well with avocado and burgers.
    Cheerful Charlie

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

On burgers, avocado. It adds a touch of moisture and a creamy texture like mayonnaise, but no salt. The mild flavor of avocado is good too. Better than mayonnaise in my opinion. A little lemon juice works well with avocado and burgers.
    Yup. Slices of fresh jalapeño ad a nice flavor punch to help overcome the lack of flavor from the avocado, but without adding salt (of which you're probably getting plenty from the bread and cheese).

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fries with gravy are great!