Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tucker Carlson on the history of Illegal immigration

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Tucker Carlson on the history of Illegal immigration

I'm no expert on illegal or legal immigration to the USA. But I am curious. I'm personally very pro-immigration in my own country. What do you make of this video? Can anybody debunk it? Is it accurate?

(View video on YouTube)

PS - Why does Tucker Carlson always look like he's in a state of perpetual confusion?

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Tucker Carlson isn't an expert on anything either. I didn't (and won't) watch the video, but you should probably find a better source (try google), unless you want to see what the idiots are saying about it. He might get a fact or two right, mind you, but he's an idiot and is probably just repeating what his handlers told him to say.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    Tucker Carlson isn't an expert on anything either. I didn't (and won't) watch the video, but you should probably find a better source (try google), unless you want to see what the idiots are saying about it. He might get a fact or two right, mind you, but he's an idiot and is probably just repeating what his handlers told him to say.
    Its a video from "Prager U", which is a right wing series of videos that I expect to have a heavy rightward bias and to speak to me from the other side of the issue that I myself am on, which is why I watched it instead of something that will only reinforce my pre-existing thoughts. It is articulate and sensible at a surface level. I was wondering if anyone here would challenge the points made in it, or if they are accurate but just leaving out the obvious other (liberal) side of the issue.

I'm rather extreme to the other side, as somebody who like yourself, is a world traveler. I don't have feelings of tribal protection, and see many hard working immigrants as meriting a place in our society far far more than lazy asses who were simply born here. I'd deport many more home-born people than immigrant people if I could. Accident of birth shouldn't dictate your opportunities any more than nature requires. Merit should.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How does that video challenge any of your beliefs about immigration?

5. Top | #5
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    I'm no expert on illegal or legal immigration to the USA. But I am curious. I'm personally very pro-immigration in my own country. What do you make of this video? Can anybody debunk it? Is it accurate?
    Much in the video is fact, some I haven't heard so can't say one way or the other but I would expect that it was fact checked because not to would make it too easy to debunk. The problem is in the attribution of purpose to those mentioned... being able to read minds is something a bit beyond humans (well except for me )
    Like Canadians, the vast majority of those in the US think legal immigration is a good thing - approximately a million legal aliens are granted citizenship each year. Like Canadians, the vast majority of those in the US don't like illegal aliens entering the country - well until about five years ago when the Democratic leadership decided to stop opposing it. Before that, Both Clintons, Shumer, Obama, etc. were quite vocal about their stance of stopping aliens from entering illegally.

PS - Why does Tucker Carlson always look like he's in a state of perpetual confusion?
    Maybe it is because he is perpetually confused.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So much bullshit, it boggles the mind.

Of course Carlson is a right wing lunatic, so it isn't surprising that he'd lead with "the open borders left." He uses that to tee off on the premise that the "left" has somehow changed from immigration hawks, to advocating for "open borders." Then he piles on the bullshit, claiming that the real goal is a "permanent electoral majority." Fear mongering, plain and simple.

This isn't history. It's right wing propaganda. Not surprising coming from Prager/Fox.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    How does that video challenge any of your beliefs about immigration?
    I ask this because the video is mostly claims, some factual some opinion, about the left's attitudes toward immigration. I don't see how that should affect your opinion on immigration itself.

Ironically, Tucker Carlson and the right like to pay homage to the Founding Fathers and the way things used to be, but the US had an open borders policy for its first 100 years. George Washington was a founding member of the open borders left I guess.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ahh, Tucker, or Constipated Alex Keaton, as I think of him. One of my favorite Tucker moments was in 2012, when Obama had made some remarks at a rally using a broad Southern 'field hand' type voice. Fox News was going out of its collective head with the clip, trying to imply that Obama was racist by feigning the dialect. Tucker called it a 'disqualifying' performance. Disqualifying!!! He's now had years of obscene and abusive speech from Trump, including blatant misogyny, excuses for white nationalists, outright calls for assaulting your political foes, calling people sons of bitches, and oh yes, lies, lies, lies and yet more lies and lies and lies. None of it reaches the bar of disqualification, I'm guessing. (It's a guess because I don't willingly listen to or watch any of Tucker's ilk.)

9. Top | #9
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    Ahh, Tucker, or Constipated Alex Keaton, as I think of him. One of my favorite Tucker moments was in 2012, when Obama had made some remarks at a rally using a broad Southern 'field hand' type voice. Fox News was going out of its collective head with the clip, trying to imply that Obama was racist by feigning the dialect. Tucker called it a 'disqualifying' performance. Disqualifying!!! He's now had years of obscene and abusive speech from Trump, including blatant misogyny, excuses for white nationalists, outright calls for assaulting your political foes, calling people sons of bitches, and oh yes, lies, lies, lies and yet more lies and lies and lies. None of it reaches the bar of disqualification, I'm guessing. (It's a guess because I don't willingly listen to or watch any of Tucker's ilk.)
    Tucker doesn't support Trump last I checked, no.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Maybe you should check what actual historians have to say about it rather some random pundit.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.