Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats 2020

1. Top | #681
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Instead of asking us, why don't you do your own research and tell us.
    I have. What I have found is not much. Certainly not enough to offset his lack of experience. Hence me asking here.

Is it because his skin is not brown and/or he's not a muslim? You sure seem to do a lot of research in those cases.
    Weak!

By the way, why was this thread pulled from the Presidential Politics subforum?
    Last edited by Derec; 03-15-2019 at 08:03 AM.

2. Top | #682
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    While I rarely agree with Derec, I have the same issues with Beto as he does. He just doesn't seem ready to be president. I've read a lot about him and how he has had mixed feelings about running. It seems to me as if he may have been pressured by his base to run. He has six years experience as in Congress, and I think some of that might have only been in the Texas Congress. The other thing that I find disturbing is that he said that he was born for the job. Seriously? That sounds awfully egocentric to me. Of course, I would imagine that all or most of these candidates have huge egos but that statement just sounded nutty to me.

3. Top | #683
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Instead of asking us, why don't you do your own research and tell us.
    I have. What I have found is not much. Certainly not enough to offset his lack of experience. Hence me asking here.

Is it because his skin is not brown and/or he's not a muslim? You sure seem to do a lot of research in those cases.
    Weak!
    Actually, I thought it was quite a strong point. Does it bother you to have your prejudices pointed out to you?

By the way, why was this thread pulled from the Presidential Politics subforum?
    I don't know but I think it's a better fit here. None of these people are president yet.

4. Top | #684
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Colbert smears Tulsi Gabbard to her face, while telling ZERO jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin Johnstone
    Hawaii Congresswoman and Democratic presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard recently appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, where instead of the light, jokey banter about politics and who she is as a person that Democratic presidential candidates normally encounter on late night comedy programs, the show’s host solemnly ran down a list of textbook beltway smears against Gabbard and made her defend them in front of his audience. Normally when a Democratic Party-aligned politician appears on such a show, you can expect jokes about how stupid Trump is and how badly they’re going to beat the Republicans, how they’re going to help ordinary Americans, and maybe some friendly back-and-forth about where they grew up or something. Colbert had no time to waste on such things, however, because this was not an interview with a normal Democratic Party-aligned politician: this was a politician who has been loudly and consistently criticizing US foreign policy.
    Anti-war is not a value shared by either party it seems. Nothing new.

5. Top | #685
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Colbert smears Tulsi Gabbard to her face, while telling ZERO jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin Johnstone
    Hawaii Congresswoman and Democratic presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard recently appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, where instead of the light, jokey banter about politics and who she is as a person that Democratic presidential candidates normally encounter on late night comedy programs, the show’s host solemnly ran down a list of textbook beltway smears against Gabbard and made her defend them in front of his audience. Normally when a Democratic Party-aligned politician appears on such a show, you can expect jokes about how stupid Trump is and how badly they’re going to beat the Republicans, how they’re going to help ordinary Americans, and maybe some friendly back-and-forth about where they grew up or something. Colbert had no time to waste on such things, however, because this was not an interview with a normal Democratic Party-aligned politician: this was a politician who has been loudly and consistently criticizing US foreign policy.
    Anti-war is not a value shared by either party it seems. Nothing new.
    Yup. It sickens me. Quite frankly, it's shit like this that makes me feel they deserve to get stomped by Trump.

6. Top | #686
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This Democratic Presidential Candidate Wants To Decriminalize Sex Work

Quote Originally Posted by Bussfeed
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, the Democratic presidential contender from Hawaii, told BuzzFeed News unequivocally she wants to decriminalize sex work, asserting a clear position on an enormous underground industry that’s largely ignored by American politicians.

“If a consenting adult wants to engage in sex work, that is their right, and it should not be a crime,” Gabbard said. “All people should have autonomy over their bodies and their labor.“

Most candidates in the 2020 race have skirted the issue, including President Donald Trump, but questions about sex work are beginning to chase the Democratic presidential pack.

Gabbard’s embrace of the issue comes just days after Sen. Bernie Sanders was asked for his position and didn’t have one. “That’s a good question, and I don’t have an answer for that,” he told The Breakfast Club.

When asked in late February if she supports decriminalization, Sen. Kamala Harris, who opposed a sex work decriminalization measure in 2008, told the Root, “I think so. I do.”

The White House didn’t answer questions from BuzzFeed News last year about whether Trump thought sex work or paying for sex should be legal. Nor would officials say if the president supported the Justice Department busting a website accused of posting sex work ads.

Gabbard’s unequivocal support for decriminalizing sex workers comes after she — and all the other 2020 Democratic candidates in Congress — voted for legislation last year that has been criticized by sex workers and activists. Known as SESTA/FOSTA, the law was promoted as a means to combat sex trafficking, but in practice it eradicated websites and other platforms where consenting sex workers meet clients. The law was assailed for endangering sex workers and stifling free speech. By shutting down platforms, activists said, workers lose the means to protect themselves by vetting clients and avoiding dangerous situations.

“That pushed more people to the street and caused more deaths and allowed clients to harm, and push the limits of, sex workers,” said Jill McCracken, codirector of the Sex Workers Outreach Project Behind Bars and a professor at the University of South Florida.
    I'm starting to like her. Unfortunately my preferences usually result in that candidate's loss.

7. Top | #687
    Archived
    Total Posts

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, the Democratic presidential contender from Hawaii, told BuzzFeed News unequivocally she wants to decriminalize sex work, asserting a clear position on an enormous underground industry that’s largely ignored by American politicians.

“If a consenting adult wants to engage in sex work, that is their right, and it should not be a crime,” Gabbard said. “All people should have autonomy over their bodies and their labor.“

Most candidates in the 2020 race have skirted the issue, including President Donald Trump, but questions about sex work are beginning to chase the Democratic presidential pack.

Gabbard’s embrace of the issue comes just days after Sen. Bernie Sanders was asked for his position and didn’t have one. “That’s a good question, and I don’t have an answer for that,” he told The Breakfast Club.

When asked in late February if she supports decriminalization, Sen. Kamala Harris, who opposed a sex work decriminalization measure in 2008, told the Root, “I think so. I do.”

The White House didn’t answer questions from BuzzFeed News last year about whether Trump thought sex work or paying for sex should be legal. Nor would officials say if the president supported the Justice Department busting a website accused of posting sex work ads.

Gabbard’s unequivocal support for decriminalizing sex workers comes after she — and all the other 2020 Democratic candidates in Congress — voted for legislation last year that has been criticized by sex workers and activists. Known as SESTA/FOSTA, the law was promoted as a means to combat sex trafficking, but in practice it eradicated websites and other platforms where consenting sex workers meet clients. The law was assailed for endangering sex workers and stifling free speech. By shutting down platforms, activists said, workers lose the means to protect themselves by vetting clients and avoiding dangerous situations.

“That pushed more people to the street and caused more deaths and allowed clients to harm, and push the limits of, sex workers,” said Jill McCracken, codirector of the Sex Workers Outreach Project Behind Bars and a professor at the University of South Florida.
    I'm starting to like her. Unfortunately my preferences usually result in that candidate's loss.
    She's also against U.S. intervention in Syria, Venezuela, and is against regime change wars.

8. Top | #688
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell View Post

She's also against U.S. intervention in Syria, Venezuela, and is against regime change wars.
    I know, I made a previous post about that. She is one of the better ones in the Democratic field. I might even donate to her.

9. Top | #689
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell View Post

I know, I made a previous post about that. She is one of the better ones in the Democratic field. I might even donate to her.
    Okay, I missed the previous post.

10. Top | #690
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    While I rarely agree with Derec, I have the same issues with Beto as he does.
    Thank you!

He just doesn't seem ready to be president. I've read a lot about him and how he has had mixed feelings about running. It seems to me as if he may have been pressured by his base to run. He has six years experience as in Congress, and I think some of that might have only been in the Texas Congress.
    No, he was in actual US Congress for 6 years. Before then he was on the El Paso city council. Pretty thin resume for a presidential run, especially with his Congressional district being very safe D. As in, the district has had a Republican representative for only two years back in the 60s. That tells me that he hasn't shown that he can win a competitive race with a politically diverse electorate.

The other thing that I find disturbing is that he said that he was born for the job. Seriously? That sounds awfully egocentric to me. Of course, I would imagine that all or most of these candidates have huge egos but that statement just sounded nutty to me.
    Yeah, I would assume most, if not all, people running for president think it privately, but saying it publicly testifies either to his carelessness or his hubris.