Page 363 of 472 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365373413463 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 4715

Thread: Democrats 2020

  1. Top | #3621
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    18,184
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    21,218
    Rep Power
    94
    Bernie Sanders was the roll call amendment king from 1995 to 2007

    Bernie Sanders is often criticized for "pie-in-the-sky" proposals and impractical ideals, but his campaign argues the Vermont senator actually gets things done.

    "Bernie Sanders passed more roll call amendments in a Republican Congress than any other member," according to a TV ad paid for by the Sanders campaign.

    A version of this ad appears on Sanders’ YouTube channel, and Sanders has made this claim on Twitter and Facebook as well so we wondered if it was true.

    The Sanders campaign didn’t get back to us, but we found that this carefully worded statement is accurate for his earlier years in Congress.

    The ‘amendment king’

    Sanders served in the House of Representatives from 1991 to 2006 and has been in the Senate since then. Republicans were in control of the House from 1995 to 2007 and of the Senate from 2015 to present.

    In 2005, Rolling Stone named Sanders the "amendment king" of the House. At the time, the title held true with a specific qualification: amendments agreed to by record votes. (Amendments can also be passed with voice votes, in which the volume of yeas and nays dictates passage, or by unanimous consent, in which no one raises an objection.)

    Out of 419 amendments Sanders sponsored over his 25 years in Congress, 90 passed, 21 of them by roll call votes. Here’s a breakdown (bold indicates Republican Congresses):
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

  2. Top | #3622
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    3,487
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    7,349
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Real Clear Politics

    Sanders - 49.7%
    Trump - 45.3%

    Sanders by 4.4%

    Ruling out Sanders vs Trumpo The Clown at this point is merely wishful thinking.
    I'm not ruling him out, but the polls are all over the place from day to day, and I haven't seen any that break things down by the states. As we all know, it's not the popular vote that wins presidential elections, it's the idiotic electoral college. The way Trump has been acting this week, gives me a bit more hope that most anyone can beat him. He's enraged because the stock market is tanking due to the coronavirus scare, and blaming the news media for reporting too much info about it. He's saying that SCOTUS justices who don't agree with him should recuse themselves, and he's purging officials who criticize him. That's even more autocratic than some of the things he did prior to the impeachment hearings.

    The only problem is that most people don't follow the details of these things like we do, or they get all of their news from very dubious sources. Plus, there are people like some who I know that are so upset about the rise of Sanders, and they are threatening not to vote. One of my close black friends told me today that her husband says he won't vote if Sanders is the nominee. I'm going to try and help her find a way to convince him that Trump is far worse, so he will vote. I can't reach too many people but everyone who realizes the danger of a second Trump term, should reach out to friends that might not vote if Sanders is officially the nominee. There is always one candidate who is far better or far worst than the other one. We all must come to terms with that.

  3. Top | #3623
    Veteran Member Treedbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    16
    I think Biden looked better to SC voters simply because he tried to maintain some decorum and didn't jump on the dogpile with the others. At times it was quite embarassing to be a Democrat. The worst instance was when Sanders had the floor and Pete kept tryinmg to talk over him and neither of them would back down for a good 20 seconds. The moderators completely lost control. And also Warren insisting she jusy had to get into the details of Bloomberg's NDAs. She lost some cred on that because it starts looking like a vendetta. But there was far too much rudeness and so Biden looked at least somewhat more sane. Nobody even noticed the "150 million" brain fart.

  4. Top | #3624
    Contributor PyramidHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    5,074
    Archived
    4,389
    Total Posts
    9,463
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    I think Biden looked better to SC voters simply because he tried to maintain some decorum and didn't jump on the dogpile with the others. At times it was quite embarassing to be a Democrat. The worst instance was when Sanders had the floor and Pete kept tryinmg to talk over him and neither of them would back down for a good 20 seconds. The moderators completely lost control. And also Warren insisting she jusy had to get into the details of Bloomberg's NDAs. She lost some cred on that because it starts looking like a vendetta. But there was far too much rudeness and so Biden looked at least somewhat more sane. Nobody even noticed the "150 million" brain fart.
    Here's what was said, Pete is truly an Obama-level orator of eloquence and grace

    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. Top | #3625
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    1
    Not sure I put much faith in head-to-head polling at this early stage. If Sanders emerges as the winner, he's going to be truly pummelled by corporate and PAC ad spend. It will be Bloomberg on steriods. The following industries, already some of the most powerful lobbyists in DC, will see him as an existential threat: Big Pharma, Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Oil And Gas, Health Insurers, Hospital Chains, Banks, Defense Contractors. They would likely only need to move the needle by 5 percent points. Bloomberg has moved it 15 points by spending half a billion. You can't tell me those industries couldn't amass a warchest 10 or even 100 times that size.

  6. Top | #3626
    Contributor blastula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The greatesst state
    Posts
    5,690
    Archived
    6,070
    Total Posts
    11,760
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    I don't think that Sanders will lose Florida over this one casual comment. What he said is true. Not everything that Communists have done has been bad. Cubans are highly educated and have made some considerable advances in medical care. However, it was a comment that could, and will, be taken out of context and used against him. He really needs to avoid putting himself in the role of a salesman for socialism. He should do more to explain what has been wrong with these regimes, and I think he is starting to realize that. He should do more to tie Trump to the dictators that Trump has cozied up to.
    He is in a tough spot, because many of his supporters are aware of the truth about Castro(which is that he was a hero to Cuba and one of the greatest people who ever lived), but he is running for the president of a settler-colonial empire that is committed to snuffing out socialist countries and painting their leaders as despots. The American left doesn't want to confront that yet and just wants comfortable socialism within its own borders. If Bernie fails to enact his reforms due to the institutional barriers that will be placed in his way, my hope is that the left will become radicalized by this and rethink their indoctrination about Cuba, the USSR, and other places where socialism is being built. But now isn't the time for that conversation, as most of the comments on this forum demonstrate.
    Have you gone full tankie?

  7. Top | #3627
    Veteran Member Treedbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    I think Biden looked better to SC voters simply because he tried to maintain some decorum and didn't jump on the dogpile with the others. At times it was quite embarassing to be a Democrat. The worst instance was when Sanders had the floor and Pete kept tryinmg to talk over him and neither of them would back down for a good 20 seconds. The moderators completely lost control. And also Warren insisting she jusy had to get into the details of Bloomberg's NDAs. She lost some cred on that because it starts looking like a vendetta. But there was far too much rudeness and so Biden looked at least somewhat more sane. Nobody even noticed the "150 million" brain fart.
    Here's what was said, Pete is truly an Obama-level orator of eloquence and grace

    [/ATTACH=CONFIG]26327[/ATTACH]
    Wow! Thanks for that. I couldn't understand any of it.

  8. Top | #3628
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    I think Biden looked better to SC voters simply because he tried to maintain some decorum and didn't jump on the dogpile with the others. At times it was quite embarassing to be a Democrat. The worst instance was when Sanders had the floor and Pete kept tryinmg to talk over him and neither of them would back down for a good 20 seconds. The moderators completely lost control. And also Warren insisting she jusy had to get into the details of Bloomberg's NDAs. She lost some cred on that because it starts looking like a vendetta. But there was far too much rudeness and so Biden looked at least somewhat more sane. Nobody even noticed the "150 million" brain fart.
    Biden's jump from a 4 to 10 point lead in SC these past few days is likely undecideds breaking to him, some slight movement to him from candidates other than Sanders (who is maintaining a 20-ish poll rating), a strong-ish debate last night and Clyburn's endorsement. Not sure how delegates are awarded, but if just straight up vote counts, Biden likely gets only 6 or 7 more than Sanders. CA is looming next week, with Sanders showing a substantial lead at this point, double that of Biden. He could net 55-60 more delegates than Biden. Not sure where anyone claws much of that back anywhere else. Sanders is ahead slightly in TX, and hanging with Warren in MA. The debate last night was a mess, but I'm not seeing any kind of media narrative around Sanders getting holed under the water line today. NYT even had him slightly the winner, by averaging their pundit ratings, and the NYT is by no means in his corner.

  9. Top | #3629
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    18,184
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    21,218
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoxarle1 View Post
    Not sure I put much faith in head-to-head polling at this early stage. If Sanders emerges as the winner, he's going to be truly pummelled by corporate and PAC ad spend. It will be Bloomberg on steriods. The following industries, already some of the most powerful lobbyists in DC, will see him as an existential threat: Big Pharma, Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Oil And Gas, Health Insurers, Hospital Chains, Banks, Defense Contractors. They would likely only need to move the needle by 5 percent points. Bloomberg has moved it 15 points by spending half a billion. You can't tell me those industries couldn't amass a warchest 10 or even 100 times that size.
    Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred. - FDR
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

  10. Top | #3630
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    2,921
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    3,095
    Rep Power
    27
    "It's a hard no," Weaver told NBC News after Tuesday night's debate. "Bernie has said he's going to fund his presidential campaign with small-dollar contributions, and I think we can do that. I think we can raise over a billion dollars in small-dollar contributions."

    Because being a seventy eight year old socialist and having a heart attack while campaigning just doesn’t quite do it.
    Dwight

Similar Threads

  1. Republicans 2020
    By lpetrich in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 05-01-2020, 12:51 PM
  2. 2020: The Hamburger Election
    By ideologyhunter in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2019, 09:07 AM
  3. Oprah Winfrey in 2020???
    By lpetrich in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 03-02-2018, 03:39 AM
  4. US Presidency 2020
    By lpetrich in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-17-2017, 08:10 PM
  5. Replies: 141
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •