Page 428 of 474 FirstFirst ... 328378418426427428429430438 ... LastLast
Results 4,271 to 4,280 of 4731

Thread: Democrats 2020

1. Top | #4271
    Veteran Member
    Once again NOTHING Sanders or anyone of the so-called "new left" have proposed are policies that are "more left" than anything on the DNC platform for the past seventy years at the very least.

This pointless, vapid, idiotic, pedantic needle pointing must end more than anything else. There is nothing "more left" in proposing universal healthcare; nothing "more left" in a $15 minimum wage increase as opposed to a $12 minimum wage increase; nothing "more left" in how we regulate corporations or the financial industry, etc.

There are only two parties: Republican and NOT-Republican. Anyone on the NOT-Republican side is on the left.

2. Top | #4272
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    There are only two parties: Republican and NOT-Republican. Anyone on the NOT-Republican side is on the left.
    NOT-Republican now includes a bunch of actual Republicans. They're "on the left" now because Trump has dragged the rest of them off into the weeds on the right.
    The trick is to get them to vote Democrat.

3. Top | #4273
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Alyssa Milano on Twitter: "Georgia Congressman, civil rights icon John Lewis endorses Joe Biden.
    "We need Joe Biden now, more than ever before," Lewis said. https://t.co/whZtHEcil0" / Twitter
    - seems like the whole party is lining up behind JB.

Did Sanders Blow It For The Democratic Left? Or Was The Nomination Always Out Of Reach? | FiveThirtyEight

Proposes two main theories.

The deck was stacked against the left
    with theories
    1. Many Democrats are not left-wingers
    2. Many voters are very concerned about perceived electability
    3. The race is being covered with a focus on electability
    4. Joe Biden's popularity with black voters, and how focusing on electability turned his centrism, race, and gender into assets
    5. Rich donors don't like populists like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren
    6. The Democratic establishment massively mobilized against BS before Super Tuesday
    7. Centrists borrowed several of the left's proposals

That last one is strong, but the others are more debatable.

I do think that the Democratic-establishment one is plausible, however. One does have to be suspicious about why Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar folded at such a convenient time.

An additional factor may be nostalgia for Barack Obama's presidency, and JB was BO's VP. Although BO was very cowardly toward the Republicans, he had MUCH better character as a leader than Trump.

The left blew it
    with theories
    1. Embracing two Northeastern liberals without much appeal to older black voters - BS and Elizabeth Warren
    2. BS and EW didn't do enough about electability
    3. BS and EW both embraced Medicare for All - something that many Democrats consider impractical
    4. BS and EW lacked strategies for fending off attacks by centrists
    5. After winning in Nevada, BS didn't reach out to Democrats who didn't support them
    6. EW was unwilling to drop out and endorse BS, even as the centrists united around JB
    7. BS apparently hoped to win 30% - 35% of the vote in a crowded field, and he had no one-against-one strategy

And in my interviews with Democratic operatives, people tended to highlight shortcomings of the left that aligned with their own preexisting views — more centrist Democrats argued that Sanders and Warren ran on platforms that were too liberal and that those candidates didn’t focus on electability enough, while African American activists said those campaigns did too little outreach to black people, and people aligned with Warren said Sanders didn’t do enough to court the party establishment.
    I wouldn't say that the deck was stacked against him. That makes it sound like there was a conspiracy. I just think that there are many many Americans like myself who are liberal on social issues, pro-environment, want a more even playing field but who are also pro economy. I think that Bernie's base (white non college educated union workers) have shifted republican and aren't coming back. Younger voters just didn't turn out.

4. Top | #4274
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Your turn!
    What's the point, other than you wanting to play an infantile game of tit for tat?

Seriously, what's your point? Do you think Biden is the creepiest person to ever run for President? Do you think someone who is at least as creepy as Biden should be disqualified for even being considered President. What exactly is your point? Or are you just being a monkey flinging shit into a fan and seeing what sticks?
    You hit the nail right on center. Creepy Joe isn't fit to run a school tuck shop. In fact I wouldn't let him anywhere near my granddaughter let alone lead the free world!

5. Top | #4275
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Your turn!
    What's the point, other than you wanting to play an infantile game of tit for tat?

Seriously, what's your point? Do you think Biden is the creepiest person to ever run for President? Do you think someone who is at least as creepy as Biden should be disqualified for even being considered President. What exactly is your point? Or are you just being a monkey flinging shit into a fan and seeing what sticks?
    You hit the nail right on center. Creepy Joe isn't fit to run a school tuck shop. In fact I wouldn't let him anywhere near my granddaughter let alone lead the free world!
    America will have two choices in November. Biden is infinitely more qualified than the alternative. You have said fuck all to disprove this. So I did hit the nail on the head. Your arguments are the equivalent of fling shit into a fan. How very constructive.

6. Top | #4276
    Archived
    Total Posts

America will have two choices in November. Biden is infinitely more qualified than the alternative. You have said fuck all to disprove this. So I did hit the nail on the head. Your arguments are the equivalent of fling shit into a fan. How very constructive.
    Yes, it appears so. Either Satan himself disguised as the Trump, or a near senile pedo will end up in the WH. Just as I thought Americans wouldn't be so silly as to vote for Killery back in 2016, I now hold that they're not as stupid as to elect Creepy Joe. But of course, the big unknown this time is the effect of COVID-19 may have on the outcome.

7. Top | #4277
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Yes, it appears so. Either Satan himself disguised as the Trump, or a near senile pedo will end up in the WH. Just as I thought Americans wouldn't be so silly as to vote for Killery back in 2016, I now hold that they're not as stupid as to elect Creepy Joe. But of course, the big unknown this time is the effect of COVID-19 may have on the outcome.
    You're dancing around the issue like Baryshnikov. Why do you think Trump is the better alternative?

8. Top | #4278
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You're dancing around the issue like Baryshnikov.
    That's what "I'm Not A Trumpsucker"s do. You can almost see them in their tutus.

9. Top | #4279
    Archived
    Total Posts
    These Elizabeth Warren endorsers have now lined up behind Joe Biden:

Katie Porter on Twitter: "Today I endorse @JoeBiden for president. This trying time for our country has made crystal clear that elections matter and that we need a strong, honest, and compassionate leader in the White House. Donald Trump is not that person; we must defeat him in November." / Twitter

Deb Haaland on Twitter: "My whole career, I’ve fought for universal health care, a minimum wage increase, and affordable housing. Today I’m proud to endorse @JoeBiden for President because he cares about all of these issues. Now more than ever, we as Democrats must unite behind Joe to beat Donald Trump! https://t.co/eL3V9D0Opa" / Twitter

Julián Castro on Twitter: "Our party was made stronger by the many ideas and aspirations of the candidates who ran for president.
    The Democratic Party must now come together behind @
    JoeBiden to defeat Donald Trump and restore integrity, decency, and competence to the Oval Office." / Twitter

10. Top | #4280
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.