Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: What're you doing for Thanksgiving?

  1. Top | #21
    Super Moderator Mediancat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    670
    Rep Power
    64
    Stuffing, sweet potatoes. cranberry shaped like the can it came in, vegetarain turkey substitute, mushroom gravy. Pumpkin pie. Yum.

    Rob

  2. Top | #22
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediancat View Post
    Stuffing, sweet potatoes. cranberry shaped like the can it came in, vegetarain turkey substitute, mushroom gravy. Pumpkin pie. Yum.

    Rob
    Nooooooooooo!

    Fresh cranberry sauce is sooooooo easy to make. Don't ever use canned.

    You just put fresh cranberries in a pot with just enough water to almost cover them, relatively hefty amounts of sugar. You can sit it on a back burner, simmering and stirring occasionally while you do other stuff. If you want to get fancy, you can add citrus juice, citrus rind, wine, sparkling wine, etc., but it's not necessary. It takes a bit of time, but almost zero effort. Just simmer and stir until it thickens up on its own.

  3. Top | #23
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    9,122
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    23,557
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediancat View Post
    Stuffing, sweet potatoes. cranberry shaped like the can it came in, vegetarain turkey substitute, mushroom gravy. Pumpkin pie. Yum.

    Rob
    Nooooooooooo!

    Fresh cranberry sauce is sooooooo easy to make. Don't ever use canned.

    You just put fresh cranberries in a pot with just enough water to almost cover them, relatively hefty amounts of sugar. You can sit it on a back burner, simmering and stirring occasionally while you do other stuff. If you want to get fancy, you can add citrus juice, citrus rind, wine, sparkling wine, etc., but it's not necessary. It takes a bit of time, but almost zero effort. Just simmer and stir until it thickens up on its own.
    Mind your business. Some of us like cylindrical cranberry sauce.
    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  4. Top | #24
    Super Moderator Mediancat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    670
    Rep Power
    64
    Cranberry must be shaped like the can it came in. Can shape good. Whole berry bad. This is the whole of the law.

    Rob

  5. Top | #25
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediancat View Post
    Stuffing, sweet potatoes. cranberry shaped like the can it came in, vegetarain turkey substitute, mushroom gravy. Pumpkin pie. Yum.

    Rob
    Nooooooooooo!

    Fresh cranberry sauce is sooooooo easy to make. Don't ever use canned.

    You just put fresh cranberries in a pot with just enough water to almost cover them, relatively hefty amounts of sugar. You can sit it on a back burner, simmering and stirring occasionally while you do other stuff. If you want to get fancy, you can add citrus juice, citrus rind, wine, sparkling wine, etc., but it's not necessary. It takes a bit of time, but almost zero effort. Just simmer and stir until it thickens up on its own.
    Mind your business. Some of us like cylindrical cranberry sauce.
    But… fresh is so easy and so much tastier.

  6. Top | #26
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    9,122
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    23,557
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Underseer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post

    Mind your business. Some of us like cylindrical cranberry sauce.
    But… fresh is so easy and so much tastier.
    But can it be cut into perfectly circular medallions?

    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediancat View Post
    Cranberry must be shaped like the can it came in. Can shape good. Whole berry bad. This is the whole of the law.

    Rob
    The Authoritarians

    GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

  7. Top | #27
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post

    But can it be cut into perfectly circular medallions?

    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediancat View Post
    Cranberry must be shaped like the can it came in. Can shape good. Whole berry bad. This is the whole of the law.

    Rob
    You can, but why would you want to?

    Cranberries contain a natural thickening agent (pectin), so could make it ahead of time, and leave it in the 'fridge overnight in an empty can if you absolutely have to have a can shape, but why? It's yummier and tastier when it's warm and right off the stovetop.

  8. Top | #28
    Shrunken Member WAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Posts
    2,479
    Archived
    2,174
    Total Posts
    4,653
    Rep Power
    60
    Ever open a number 10 can of cranberry sauce? It is a wonder to behold, and most terrible to desecrate, like stepping in new-fallen snow.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

  9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor Underseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    11,413
    Archived
    39,172
    Total Posts
    50,585
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    Ever open a number 10 can of cranberry sauce? It is a wonder to behold, and most terrible to desecrate, like stepping in new-fallen snow.

  10. Top | #30
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    8,125
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    11,780
    Rep Power
    42
    I'm planning to make a couple of kinds of soup: one a nice seafood soup mostly to please my husband and then a wild rice soup for the kid who is now allergic to bi-valves.

    Like Cheerful Charlie, I also plan to serve mousse. Chocolate mousse.

Similar Threads

  1. These 24 Chains are Refusing to Open on Thanksgiving Day
    By AthenaAwakened in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •