Thread: The argument for eating dog

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

The argument for eating dog

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/23/opinio...ics/index.html
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    CNN's photo blog features an essay on the illegal dog-meat trade in Southeast Asia
    John Sutter: The graphic details of the photos, and the trade, are shocking and sad
    But, he writes, the fact that people eat dog should not seem repugnant
    He says it's the equivalent of eating pig, which is another intelligent creature

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Couldn't agree more.

I suspect though, that even if meating dog meat did not have general Western disapproval, that pig meat would still be more popular because it is probably nicer overall, because it would have a better meat to fat ratio, and dog meat is likely to be 'gamey'.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Except pigs are not generally kept as companions.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought eating dogs was legal in China? The french eat horse as a delicacy.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    It is probably legal in most places in the US, with the same sanitary requirements and proper labeling on the packed meat.

In France, horse meat is commonly sold. About a year ago, there was a meat label scandal in Europe, where horse meat ended up in packages labeled ground. The reaction from some people was the same as if they had been caught making soylent green from people.

Imagine how long a store could stay open if there were fresh poodle or collie in the cooler.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Dogs are carnivores and are not being preyed upon in nature.
    Normal meat like pigs cows and chicken eat plants and preyed upon in nature, that's why I think it's OK to eat them.
    They coevolved to be eaten.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It is not for me to judge what other people choose to eat and in some countries dogs can be a nuisance and a public hazard. It certainly would be desirable that any dogs which are destined to be eaten are at least handled in a humane manner. The 'civilized nations' cannot point fingers when one looks at our factory farming of animals and the poor conditions that many of those are forced to endure, as is pointed out in the article.

The following paragraph from the article raises a good point. How do we decide which animals are 'food' and which become exempt from that status?

Plus, there's an inherent danger in thinking that "the value of an animal depends on how you treat it," writes Slate's William Saletan.
    "If you befriend it, it's a friend. If you raise it for food, it's food," he says in a 2002 essay, hilariously titled "Wok the Dog." "This relativism is more dangerous than the absolutism of vegetarians or even of thoughtful carnivores. You can abstain from meat because you believe that the mental capacity of animals is too close to that of humans. You can eat meat because you believe that it isn't. Either way, you're using a fixed standard. But if you refuse to eat only the meat of 'companion' animals -- chewing bacon, for example, while telling Koreans that they can't stew Dalmatians -- you're saying that the morality of killing depends on habit or even whim."

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    don't be too sure about that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8aOc28kYc

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    And we Dutch eat horse as just regular stuff. We put horsemeat on our bread. Actually, I´ve never heard of the French considering it as specifically a delicacy either, I doubt they consider it any different than we do.

I´d like to try dog sometime, assuming it´s not from some unhygienic street vendor anyway.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Normal meat like pigs cows and chicken eat plants and preyed upon in nature, that's why I think it's OK to eat them.
    They coevolved to be eaten.
    Now you're just doing that thing where people turn evolution into a god and use it as a justification and reinforcement for their beliefs/practices.

Evolution is like a volcano or a storm. It's impressive, sure, but there's no point in anthropomorphising it. It can not be appeased and it does not grant boons. It does not have dictates or desires or purpose. It does not want anything and it offers no direction or meaning.

It just can't say something like "Don't eat dogs."

That's just you projecting your biased ideas about what's "natural" onto something else to give them a little more weight.