Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1258

Thread: New report on climate change released today

1. Top | #1201
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    What group of professionals would seriously name themselves, “Friends of Science’?
    The Quakers? They're pretty much friends with everything.
    Nixon was a Quaker.

2. Top | #1202
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Truth is the First Casualty of Global Warming
    Dec 18, 2018 BJØRN LOMBORG
    The truth about climate change is nuanced: it is real, and in the long term it will be a problem, but its impact is less than we might believe. And yet we are too eager to believe the problem is far worse than science shows, and – conversely – that our solutions are far easier than reality dictates.

BRUSSELS – The latest global climate summit in Poland has generated familiar predictions of doom and disaster from environmental activists. Climate change seems to freeze our capacity for critical thinking: we are too eager to believe the problem is far worse than science shows, and – conversely – that our solutions are far easier than reality dictates.

Consider weather events: it is second nature now to link these to climate change. Whenever a flood hits, the media blames global warming and warns that floods are increasing. But the most authoritative conclusion by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is that it is not even clear whether floods have increased or decreased globally over the past century.
    That activists and the media over-hype the consequences of global warming has nothing to do with the quality of the science behind it. You have attacked the science behind man-made climate change. You can't hide that behind the media's, Al Gore's or another activist's excesses. Remember the rather specious arguments you made that CO2 is heavier than air or that it is incapable of causing warming because it is such a small part of the atmosphere and its specific heat is too low?

And more severe and stronger storms, the melting of the polar ice, the melting of the glaciers on Greenland and in the mountains of the world and the increase in the ice on Antarctic glaciers due to the greater snowfall produced by the warming of the seas around it are all explained by the science.

Yes, the activists and the media are guilty of over-hyping the science. Many have jumped on the bandwagon to push their pet projects like Green energy or high-speed trains. But attacking the science that lies under the hype is so transparently bogus that it helps them to push their agendas. Opposing the hype lets them dismiss the rational voices as one of you in our polarized political environment.

Time for my shower.

3. Top | #1203
    Thanks SimpleDon. Angelo has never understood what science is or what the scientific process is. he rather hide behind whataboutism, and finding obscure quotes that are easily disputed. He rather put his head in the sand and do nothing because "the earth has always changed so why should we" as any easy way out denial-ism.
    Keep messing with 45

4. Top | #1204
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

The last time the Globe Warmed

(View video on YouTube)

Nice quick discussion of today's warming and CO2 emissions compared to Earth's thermal maximum millions of years ago. We are releasing CO2 into the atmosphere at five times the rate it was released that caused that thermal maximum.

A decent video.

5. Top | #1205
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

There once existed a scientific consensus that the Earth was the center of the universe and the sun revolved around it! Today 31.000 scientists world wide have signed a petition calling human caused GW/CC/CD a political rather than science based cult.

I have posted this link before, but please be my guest and have another look. There are some very notable people on that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...global_warming

Wasn't it the Church that supported geocentricity? Even to the extent of torturing people when the belief came to be questioned....
    Galileo was placed under house arrest for daring to say the Earth moved around the sun. I read somewhere that under his breath when arrested, someone heard Galileo mutter: " and yet the Earth moves!" Or something similar.
    You seem to have switched emphasis. Your original claim being; ''there once existed a scientific consensus that the Earth was the center of the universe and the sun revolved around it!''

6. Top | #1206
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    There once existed a scientific consensus that the Earth was the center of the universe and the sun revolved around it! Today 31.000 scientists world wide have signed a petition calling human caused GW/CC/CD a political rather than science based cult.

I have posted this link before, but please be my guest and have another look. There are some very notable people on that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...global_warming
    Posting shit over and over doesn't make it not shit. Note how your list of scientists includes almost nobody actually qualified to make a judgment about our climate.

7. Top | #1207
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Truth is the First Casualty of Global Warming
    Dec 18, 2018 BJØRN LOMBORG
    I started to read one of his books. I didn't get very far, though--within a few pages he was talking about some sort of toxic contamination in fish. He then questioned how the data was arrived at--IIRC 9 fish had been tested. He said this meant that the reported number was 9 times as big as it should be.

Since the reported number was in parts per million(?) it doesn't matter how many fish were tested. This left me with the conclusion that he was either an idiot with no understanding of what he was talking about (and thus not worth reading), or it was a propaganda piece (and, again, not worth reading.)

8. Top | #1208
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I once tested the ocean for the presence of sharks. I took a glass and scooped up some water. Data observation #1: no shark present. But, this was a scientific test. I repeated the test many times. Different times, different areas, different bodies of water. Still, no shark, not even one. Still dismayed by my findings, as I’ve heard they exist, I had others perform the test. Always the same result.

A reasonable conclusion (I thought) was there were no sharks—in the oceans, the lakes, the ponds, the rivers, streams—or even in bathtubs! Tried there too!

Then some asshole came along and said my sample size was flawed. So, back to the drawing board I went. I needed to do more testing, more samples! I grabbed some spoons and went to every body of water I could find. Still, nothing! But, I refused to think it was a hoax. I truly believed there were sharks.

It wasn’t until I heard about this fellow looking to get a loan at what was being referenced as an unscrupulous place of business. With great caution, I scoped out the joint. I looked. I saw. Biggest loan shark I ever did see!

Now, tasked with uncovering the truth for climate change, I’m using my critical thinking skills and knowledge of the scientific process to see if this is real or a hoax. Stay tuned. Seeing as there’s a lot of interest in this, I will give you all a task that will help us all out so we can finally put this issue to rest. Right now, it’s a bit too hot out. I’m thinking it’s not a pressing issue—seeing as the discussion has become quite lengthy and time consuming.

9. Top | #1209
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Climate change caused by humans is a real thing. Even if it wasn't, pollution harming the environment is a real thing. Why not clamp down on emissions for the latter reason alone?

10. Top | #1210
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Climate change caused by humans is a real thing.
    There is zero evidence of this. None. The chatter about "extreme weather" is absolute nonsense.

Even if it wasn't, pollution harming the environment is a real thing.
    Yes, pollution should be reduced sensibly. We can all do a part in this.

Why not clamp down on emissions for the latter reason alone?
    Depends on what emissions you are referring to but sure, why not ?