Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 1998

Thread: New report on climate change released today

1. Top | #1791
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    How is number of deaths relevant here? I am aware that bush fires are normal, I just was not aware that it was normal on that scale. But if you say so.
    There's also that scourge of arsonists who in many cases are volunteer fire fighters in disguise. I understand quite a few have so far been arrested already. If true, we need judges to throw the book at them, not slap them over their wrist with a wet lettuce leaf!
    "Arsonists" is a key word in the current debate, that indicates a speaker who is mindlessly parroting climate denialist propaganda. As I pointed out above, arson doesn't cause fires to become catastrophic.

That you even freely admit that you don't know if the (dis)information you are spreading is true, is truly horrifying. But even if it were true, it wouldn't be relevant. So that's at least two good reasons why you shouldn't be saying it at all - unless you care more about "winning" some dumb political game than you care about the truth.

2. Top | #1792
    Veteran Member
    It is very difficult to keep up with the doomsday cult timelines. I thought there was 11 years to save the planet. Teh Gruaniad has gone for one year;

Veganism might help and it’s always good to avoid flying. But the answer to Earth’s emergency must involve political, collective action – and there are countless ways to get active.

With the 26th Conference of the Parties UN climate conference taking place in Glasgow this November, there has never been a better time to add your voice to those calling for urgent action to end our reliance on fossil fuels, cut greenhouse gases and protect the planet from global heating. At COP 26, world leaders will be under huge pressure to come up with an international, united and effective response to the climate emergency.
    One year to save the planet: a simple, surprising guide to fighting the climate crisis in 2020

Since COP 25 was a failure, COP 26 will surely be a success ! By COP 30, the "climate emergency" should be well and truly over !

A Rapture like cult for sure.

3. Top | #1793
    Archived
    Total Posts
    ‘It’s an Atomic Bomb’: Australia Deploys Military as Fires Spread - The New York Times - "With more than a month still to go in the fire season, the government announced a large-scale use of military assets, a deployment not seen since World War II."
    More than 12 million acres have burned so far, an area larger than Switzerland, and the damage is expected to only get worse in the extremely arid conditions that are allowing the fires to spread. The fires are also so hot and so large that they are creating their own weather patterns, which can worsen the conditions.

With more than a month still to go in the fire season, the government announced on Saturday a large-scale use of military assets, a deployment not seen since World War II, experts say. About 3,000 army reservists, along with aircraft and naval ships, are being made available to help with the evacuation and firefighting efforts.
    The New York Times on Twitter: "The Australian government has announced a large-scale use of military assets, a deployment not seen since World War II, as fires continue to spread https://t.co/vo19HoPAot" / Twitter
    then
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Remember when everyone mocked us for saying that fighting climate change is going to take a WWII-scale mobilization?
    Well, it’s already starting to happen.
    The question is: will we mobilize reactively to destruction, or will we act proactively for prevention? #GreenNewDeal https://t.co/nfTjuTJ13U" / Twitter

AOC's tweet got a lot of responses that stated that the fires were started by arsonists. Which provoked responses like these:

ZGreatestGeneration on Twitter: "@Dpabs1125 @AOC So arson is the reason that 2019 was Australia's hottest and driest year on record?
    No one is suggesting that climate change is igniting the fires.
    Climate change is responsible for the conditions that turned those fires into an environmental catastrophe.
    Try to keep up." / Twitter

Benny from the block on Twitter: "@sethweathers @AOC 2019 was the hottest and driest year on record in Australia. Like, maybe climate change didn’t literally hold a match to all that kindling that was just waiting to combust... but it deeeeffffinitely helped those fires become the absolute catastrophe hey are." / Twitter

4. Top | #1794
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    How is number of deaths relevant here? I am aware that bush fires are normal, I just was not aware that it was normal on that scale. But if you say so.
    There's also that scourge of arsonists who in many cases are volunteer fire fighters in disguise. I understand quite a few have so far been arrested already. If true, we need judges to throw the book at them, not slap them over their wrist with a wet lettuce leaf!
    "Arsonists" is a key word in the current debate, that indicates a speaker who is mindlessly parroting climate denialist propaganda. As I pointed out above, arson doesn't cause fires to become catastrophic.

That you even freely admit that you don't know if the (dis)information you are spreading is true, is truly horrifying. But even if it were true, it wouldn't be relevant. So that's at least two good reasons why you shouldn't be saying it at all - unless you care more about "winning" some dumb political game than you care about the truth.
    I presume your godlike powers can see the arsonists lighting of fires won't become catastrophic? Even a tiny fire lit at any point in any location has the potential to burn down a whole town in the right conditions.

5. Top | #1795
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

I presume your godlike powers can see the arsonists lighting of fires won't become catastrophic? Even a tiny fire lit at any point in any location has the potential to burn down a whole town in the right conditions.
    That's the part you don't get. The "right conditions" are spreading far and wide due to climate change.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

6. Top | #1796
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

That is such a high level of obtuse, the triangle is a flat line.

Arsonists start fires. Conditions of the brush and ground control how easy it is for the fire to spread.

7. Top | #1797
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    That's the part you don't get. The "right conditions" are spreading far and wide due to climate change.
    Perhaps but there is no evidence for this claim. Be aware that climate is naturally variable.

8. Top | #1798
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Perhaps but there is no evidence for this claim. Be aware that climate is naturally variable.
    Just because you refuse to accept the evidence doesn't mean there's no evidence.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

9. Top | #1799
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts

I find it amusing that you consider the ability to think things through to be a "god like" power.

You apparently can't even comprehend the meaning behind your own statements.

A source of ignition is necessary, but not sufficient, for a catastrophic fire - as you yourself say, it also requires "the right conditions". And if the conditions are right, a fire will inevitably start, and become catastrophic - if not due to arson, then due to accident, misadventure, or natural causes (eg lightning). Ignition sources are everywhere, all the time; arsonists just accelerate an inevitable consequence in catastrophic climatic and fuel load conditions.

But of course, if you lack the "god like" ability to think coherently about stuff, it's easy to completely fail to grasp that simple fact.

10. Top | #1800
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Take an object that is 2 feet above the ground, drop it. Take an object 1000 feet above the ground, drop it. Same object, but different result. Why? Potential energy. Does the result of the object falling and colliding with the ground matter because why it is dropped?