Page 1 of 126 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: New report on climate change released today

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

New report on climate change released today

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/c...gtype=Homepage

The report, which was mandated by Congress and made public by the White House, is notable not only for the precision of its calculations and bluntness of its conclusions, but also because its findings are directly at odds with President Trump’s agenda of environmental deregulation, which he asserts will spur economic growth.

Mr. Trump has taken aggressive steps to allow more planet-warming pollution from vehicle tailpipes and power plant smokestacks, and has vowed to pull the United States out of the Paris Agreement, under which nearly every country in the world pledged to cut carbon emissions. Just this week, he mocked the science of climate change because of a cold snap in the Northeast, tweeting, “Whatever happened to Global Warming?”

But in direct language, the 1,656-page assessment lays out the devastating effects of a changing climate on the economy, health and environment, including record wildfires in California, crop failures in the Midwest and crumbling infrastructure in the South. Going forward, American exports and supply chains could be disrupted, agricultural yields could fall to 1980s levels by midcentury and fire season could spread to the Southeast, the report finds.
    It looks like we're fucked. Just yesterday the so called president tweeted "what ever happened to global warming" because it was cold outside.

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Saddest part for me about global climate change is that those who had the biggest hand in causing it either own't be alive when it is at its worst (because they were a generation ago) or won't be as badly effected by it because they are rich. I can assure you that folks living without air conditioning in the Philippines feel climate change quite readily. They don't call it a myth. Same goes for others around the world who are effected without the means to mitigate those effects.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    I'm baffled as to why people think the earth's climate should never fluctuate. These irresponsible proclamations of death and destruction are not based on science or evidence.

4. Top | #4
    Oh look. A wingnut on the internet. Maybe I should pay attention.

5. Top | #5
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    I'm baffled as to why people think the earth's climate should never fluctuate. These irresponsible proclamations of death and destruction are not based on science or evidence.
    I’m baffled how you’d think a statement like that was relevant to the ... oh, never mind.

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Besides the fact that you don't understand any of the science.

They most certainly are based on evidence, nothing but evidence.

And even the simple evidence is clear.

Like average temperatures are at the highest ever recorder.

That the strength of average hurricanes is increasing.

That the polar ice and ice in general is shrinking.

These are not in line with any previously recorded fluctuations.

Current climate data is filled with outliers which is in accordance with what has been predicted about the wild shifts expected in weather.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

About 10 or so years ago, I attended a lecture by a geology professor who explained in great detail just how human activity, starting around the time of the industrial revolution, had an impact on climate and global temperatures. He had charts and graphs and it was all very convincing. If you were open minded and did some serious reading from actual scientists who specialize in such things, maybe you too would understand how we humans have impacted our environment and climate.

Why, I dare to ask, do you reject the evidence that has been consistently presented by something like 98% of climate scientists?

Whether we can do something about it at this point in time that will be effective is a different matter. Humans have a very, very long history of destroying their environment. Maybe we're just prone to denial when the facts don't support our beliefs, or when the truth would require large changes in our habits and life styles. We can each do some small things to help, but without the actions of government, individuals will never be able to do enough to make a difference. Considering that we have a "leader" who recklessly denies all the evidence......Sad.

Even China is working towards using more renewable energy. India needs to do something about the awful pollution that exists in that country. But, at least in the past, America was looked to as a leader when it came to progress, but it looks like those days are in the past.

I don't put the blame on any generation because the early damage that was done was done out of ignorance. But, there is still a lot of ignorance and denial when it comes to climate change and pollution. Unfortunately, many conservatives see this as a partisan issues, which it is not. I also find it ironic that conservatives don't seem interested in conserving the environment. You would think that even those on the far right would want to conserve the quality of our air and water.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I don't put the blame on any generation because the early damage that was done was done out of ignorance...
    And the harm continues - now it's out of greed. And not national greed; this is all about one person - "INDIVIDUAL-1" whose personal fortune is tied up in promises about oil.

9. Top | #9
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm baffled as to why people think the earth's climate should never fluctuate.
    It's not that they don't think it should never fluctuate; rather, they think the degree of fluctuation is being substantially altered because of human action.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    I'm baffled as to why people think the earth's climate should never fluctuate.
    It's not that they don't think it should never fluctuate; rather, they think the degree of fluctuation is being substantially altered because of human action.
    Yes, and they are correct. It's wonderful to not be shackled by religion and be able to evaluate the evidence without prejudice!