Page 2 of 152 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1519

Thread: New report on climate change released today

  1. Top | #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    386
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,911
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    I'm baffled as to why people think the earth's climate should never fluctuate.
    It's not that they don't think it should never fluctuate; rather, they think the degree of fluctuation is being substantially altered because of human action.
    Yes. Climate change could be turning the Earth to a climate that was tens of millions of years ago.

  2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,446
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    I'm baffled as to why people think the earth's climate should never fluctuate.
    It's not that they don't think it should never fluctuate; rather, they think the degree of fluctuation is being substantially altered because of human action.
    Yes. Climate change could be turning the Earth to a climate that was tens of millions of years ago.
    And if true, how is that a good thing? Who should bear the economic cost of the change in the weather? It's estimated that the current cost is around 400 Billion. But there is billions to follow. Secondly, other countries lead by saner governments will bypass us technologically and capture the new jobs while we fall behind.

  3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,274
    Archived
    14,025
    Total Posts
    19,299
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    I'm baffled as to why people think the earth's climate should never fluctuate.
    It's not that they don't think it should never fluctuate; rather, they think the degree of fluctuation is being substantially altered because of human action.
    Yes, and they are correct. It's wonderful to not be shackled by religion and be able to evaluate the evidence without prejudice!
    I'm not sure what religion has to do with anything, but one can be just as shackled by science, especially by those that side with science and all the while ignorant of it.

  4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,446
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post

    Yes, and they are correct. It's wonderful to not be shackled by religion and be able to evaluate the evidence without prejudice!
    I'm not sure what religion has to do with anything, but one can be just as shackled by science, especially by those that side with science and all the while ignorant of it.
    Please tell me where I'm wrong or ignorant regarding science. Do you have a published scientific paper that supports your position?

  5. Top | #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    386
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,911
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Saddest part for me about global climate change is that those who had the biggest hand in causing it either own't be alive when it is at its worst (because they were a generation ago) or won't be as badly effected by it because they are rich. I can assure you that folks living without air conditioning in the Philippines feel climate change quite readily. They don't call it a myth. Same goes for others around the world who are effected without the means to mitigate those effects.
    One would hope that the repeatedly re-occurring droughts and fires in California, or hurricanes in the south-eastern US would wake the American voters up to the reality of it all. But apparently not.

    I read somewhere, quoted from a scientist, that anyone today younger than age 30 has not experienced a normal climate.

    It's really sad that we have the technological ability to resolve the problem, but not the political will. I read just today that the new Brazilian government is planning to cut down rainforest of an areal about the same size as France.

  6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,274
    Archived
    14,025
    Total Posts
    19,299
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post

    Yes, and they are correct. It's wonderful to not be shackled by religion and be able to evaluate the evidence without prejudice!
    I'm not sure what religion has to do with anything, but one can be just as shackled by science, especially by those that side with science and all the while ignorant of it.
    Please tell me where I'm wrong or ignorant regarding science. Do you have a published scientific paper that supports your position?
    I will not do that (hell, I cannot do that), for I don't think you are wrong or ignorant of it. Maybe there's been a miscommunication?

  7. Top | #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    386
    Archived
    5,525
    Total Posts
    5,911
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post

    Yes. Climate change could be turning the Earth to a climate that was tens of millions of years ago.
    And if true, how is that a good thing? Who should bear the economic cost of the change in the weather? It's estimated that the current cost is around 400 Billion. But there is billions to follow. Secondly, other countries lead by saner governments will bypass us technologically and capture the new jobs while we fall behind.
    I'm not saying it's a good thing. I think is a very bad thing, that could, in the worst case, end our civilization. I think working to reduce climate change and mitigate its effects should be a top priority, and it seems to me that it is not a major issue in any political election anywhere. And with Trump, the US (a major emissioner of greenhouse gases) is having four lost years, potentially eight lost years, of contributing to that work. Not that I think Clinton would have done enough, but it would at least have been something, and not blanket denial of scientific facts a la Trump.

  8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,446
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post

    Yes. Climate change could be turning the Earth to a climate that was tens of millions of years ago.
    And if true, how is that a good thing? Who should bear the economic cost of the change in the weather? It's estimated that the current cost is around 400 Billion. But there is billions to follow. Secondly, other countries lead by saner governments will bypass us technologically and capture the new jobs while we fall behind.
    I'm not saying it's a good thing. I think is a very bad thing, that could, in the worst case, end our civilization. I think working to reduce climate change and mitigate its effects should be a top priority, and it seems to me that it is not a major issue in any political election anywhere. And with Trump, the US (a major emissioner of greenhouse gases) is having four lost years, potentially eight lost years, of contributing to that work. Not that I think Clinton would have done enough, but it would at least have been something, and not blanket denial of scientific facts a la Trump.
    It won't end our civilization. But it will cause massive economic correction, perhaps causing the largest depression in world history. It will kill millions of people. I believe that it will set back our civilization back substantially. The big crime that the republicans committed was delegitimizing the Paris accords and pulling us out of the international agreement. Our only hope is to come together and find a global solution. I hate to say it but there are very few republicans with the courage to speak out against Trump regarding this.

  9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    3,755
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    About 10 or so years ago, I attended a lecture by a geology professor who explained in great detail just how human activity, starting around the time of the industrial revolution, had an impact on climate and global temperatures. He had charts and graphs and it was all very convincing. If you were open minded and did some serious reading from actual scientists who specialize in such things, maybe you too would understand how we humans have impacted our environment and climate.
    And thirty years before that he was probably banging on about he coming ice age.

    Environment yes, climate...not so much.


    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Why, I dare to ask, do you reject the evidence that has been consistently presented by something like 98% of climate scientists?
    Scant evidence presented. Lots of rapture like rhetoric though.

  10. Top | #20
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    10,853
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    11,560
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post

    I'm not saying it's a good thing. I think is a very bad thing, that could, in the worst case, end our civilization. I think working to reduce climate change and mitigate its effects should be a top priority, and it seems to me that it is not a major issue in any political election anywhere. And with Trump, the US (a major emissioner of greenhouse gases) is having four lost years, potentially eight lost years, of contributing to that work. Not that I think Clinton would have done enough, but it would at least have been something, and not blanket denial of scientific facts a la Trump.
    It won't end our civilization. But it will cause massive economic correction, perhaps causing the largest depression in world history. It will kill millions of people. I believe that it will set back our civilization back substantially. The big crime that the republicans committed was delegitimizing the Paris accords and pulling us out of the international agreement. Our only hope is to come together and find a global solution. I hate to say it but there are very few republicans with the courage to speak out against Trump regarding this.
    Why wouldn't ending our civilization be a good thing? Hey, a few generations of declining human population, war, disease and general mayhem might be just what the doctor ordered. Get the global population down to a half billion or so, and everyone could be happy.

Similar Threads

  1. Today there is a report of how to time travel.
    By George S in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2019, 09:56 PM
  2. Global Warming to Climate change to Climate Catastrophe.
    By T.G.G. Moogly in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 10-20-2018, 06:07 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-02-2018, 12:00 AM
  4. Climate Change Fanatics Confront Growing Evil - Climate Lukewarmers
    By maxparrish in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 03:11 AM
  5. Ezell Ford autopsy report released
    By ksen in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-01-2015, 04:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •