Quote Originally Posted by Peez View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Godless Raven View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Peez View Post
I would disagree with that assertion. Leaving aside that if someone claims that complaints about MSG are necessarily racist then it is up to them to support the claim, I would suggest that the best argument against it is examples of people who complain about MSG when there is no Asian food involved.

This analogy makes no sense. A closer analogy would be if American 'blacks' started the slavery of 'blacks'. That a person of Chinese heritage first mentioned this issue suggests that either it was not motivated by racism against Chinese or this person was racist against Chinese (the latter seems unlikely, but I suppose that it is possible). It may well have spread in part because of racism, this is quite plausible. I was merely responding to this: "So if it sounds racist, it looks racist and it's been around for a decades sounding and looking racist...it's probably based in racism."
I've got better things to do.
By all means do so.

Peez
1. I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread agrees that MSG is not causing mass cases of illness and global headaches. I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread agrees that the evidence suggests a very small percentage of people are sensitive or allergic to MSG.

2. I never stated in any context that all dislike, distrust or rumors about MSG in Chinese restaurants were based in racism. I very specifically fucking said "So if it sounds racist, it looks racist and it's been around for a decades sounding and looking racist...it's probably based in racism." Are you familiar with what the word "based" means? Are you familiar with what the word "probably" means? Does it sound like I was saying someone claimed there has never been any racism regarding MSG?

3. No, that analogy was right on. It's about shifting goal posts and insinuating that the craze that took place had to do with a Chinese immigrant because he was the first person to bring up the alleged sickness rather than all the racist shit that was going on long before, during and after that idiot wrote his paper. As if someone how that idiot writing that paper was the reason for a shit load of non-Chinese people to talk about how Chinese restaurants are dirty, rat infested, serve cats and pigeons and poison people with MSG. They are unrelated exactly the same way it's unrelated to say look past white slavery, didn't you know that it was a black that first enslaved blacks!? Most of us have seen this argument from the severely ignorant.

4. "It may have spread in part by racism, this is quite plausible". Yeah, especially to somebody like myself who lived its carry over in to Canada and witnessed it first hand multiple times in the US or through their media. It's really fucking plausible. Does it mean that 100% of these idiots were all racist? NO. I've never insinuated that. Is it 75%? 50%? I don't know, I've never claimed to know. I'm saying I witnessed how it took off like wildfire and that it was all part of the dirty, rat infested, cat eating contaminated Chinese racist garbage that was being spread through North America.

5. I suspect there are some dummies that were getting the pretend headaches that want to make sure they themselves would never have to consider their motivations or they were just one of the dummies experiencing symptoms that never existed, and they were not racist at all. Just fucking dummies. Either way, now it's defense mode. "Racism...wha....wha racism? Uh...."
I can see that there is little point in attempting to discuss this further with you.

Peez
I think I pointed that out right from the beginning when you skipped over the words "based" and "probable" and acted like I was somehow debating a pretend person that held the position there was never any racism involved in the MSG scare. I prefer to keep the discussions I have with people be based on what's actually said whenever possible. And I have plenty of times misunderstood what someone was saying, but I also then tell the person that and move on with my point. Since your apparent misunderstanding WAS your point, I can see why you would agree that we are done here.

Take care,

GR