Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Americans should have healthcare as affordable as what she gets as a Congresswoman

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Americans should have healthcare as affordable as what she gets as a Congresswoman

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says All Americans Should Have the Affordable Healthcare she now gets as a Congresswoman noting a recent Tweet from her that was followed by two more Tweets:
    In my on-boarding to Congress, I get to pick my insurance plan. As a waitress, I had to pay more than TWICE what I’d pay as a member of Congress. It’s frustrating that Congressmembers would deny other people affordability that they themselves enjoy. Time for #MedicareForAll.

Also, pretty sure one Dante’s Circles of Hell includes scrolling through a mirror-hall of agonizingly similar healthcare plans like “UHG Choice Master HMO 1800” vs “RedGo Option Plus EPO 2000.” I don’t know one normal person in this country that actually enjoys open enrollment.

People don’t want overly complicated choice between pricey, low-quality plans. We want an affordable solution that covers our needs, like the rest of the modern world. Medicare for All: - Single-payer system - Covers physical, mental, & dental care - 0 due *at point of service*
    I'd like to see what she might say about pre-existing conditions and a very curious scam: insurance companies only paying doctors and hospitals that are "in the network". As if that is something imposed on them.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Kinda weird how the wealthiest, most powerful country on the planet (for now) can't figure this out.

I mean, we have an unmatched military. We can park a carrier battle group or a ballistic missile sub off the coast of any nation that dares threaten us and there's pretty much fuck-all they can do about it.

But we can't afford prescription drug coverage?

We have the world's currency. The Euro? That's quaint. How many dollars is that?

But we can't figure out how to do single payer or national health care.

The proverbial "land a man on the Moon?" Sure. Let's send some guys. Come to think of it, whats the last country to put people on the Moon? Trick question! There's only one.

But for some reason we're all thumbs when it comes to not just healthcare for average Americans, but we've managed to screw the pooch when it comes to care for our military veterans. Those people who worked for the world-spanning unmatched conquering force are pretty much fucked the moment they retire and wind up under the VA.

What is it about healthcare that vexes us so much?

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When you have an economic system where the many are powerless without the means to survive on their own so they are forced, coerced, to serve the few you end up with all kinds of inequalities.

4. Top | #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    but we've managed to screw the pooch when it comes to care for our military veterans. Those people who worked for the world-spanning unmatched conquering force are pretty much fucked the moment they retire and wind up under the VA.
    All my health care is through the VA and other than a few irritations regarding privacy, I'm quite satisfied with it. I realize you can find stories on the internet that speak of nightmareish events with it, but then, anything can be found on the internet.

What is it about healthcare that vexes us so much?
    Neoliberal policies.
    "I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean"
    Fiona Apple

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not policies.

Delusions.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The only thing I find a little strange about what the Congresswoman has said, is that her excellent health care is coming from an insurance company. Employees in government or in medium sized and large corporations almost always get the similar insurance offerings. While I agree we should be able to give affordable health care to all citizens, it would make more sense if somebody on Medicaid or Medicare was making a statement about how wonderful their coverage is. Very few doctors will even take Medicaid patients if that's their primary coverage, and in some large cities, there are a lot of doctors who won't even take Medicare. So, I don't think it's fair to compare a good quality insurance plan with our current public plans. But hell yeah, it would be wonderful if all Americans had the same coverage as Congress critters do.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Kinda weird how the wealthiest, most powerful country on the planet (for now) can't figure this out.

I
    Not really. The debate over healthcare and government’s role, if any, in providing healthcare is a debated inherited from the founders and framers. Since the inception of the U.S. Republic, a debate has raged concerning what is a proper taxing and spending role of the government, shaped by notions of private property, income, and labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    But we can't figure out how to do single payer or national health care.
    We can figure it out. The issue is, a good deal of wealthy people don't want to pay higher taxes and they have done a good job convincing rural white people that UHC infringes on their freedoms, apparently the freedom to get sick and die.

9. Top | #9
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    The only thing I find a little strange about what the Congresswoman has said, is that her excellent health care is coming from an insurance company. Employees in government or in medium sized and large corporations almost always get the similar insurance offerings. While I agree we should be able to give affordable health care to all citizens, it would make more sense if somebody on Medicaid or Medicare was making a statement about how wonderful their coverage is. Very few doctors will even take Medicaid patients if that's their primary coverage, and in some large cities, there are a lot of doctors who won't even take Medicare. So, I don't think it's fair to compare a good quality insurance plan with our current public plans. But hell yeah, it would be wonderful if all Americans had the same coverage as Congress critters do.
    A whopping 93 percent of primary care physicians accept Medicare – just as many who take private insurance. As a Medicare beneficiary, your only concern with accessing care will be finding doctors that are open to new patients.
    https://www.healthcare.com/info/medi...ccept-medicare
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

10. Top | #10
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post

I
    Not really. The debate over healthcare and government’s role, if any, in providing healthcare is a debated inherited from the founders and framers. Since the inception of the U.S. Republic, a debate has raged concerning what is a proper taxing and spending role of the government, shaped by notions of private property, income, and labor.
    That doesn't make it less weird that you haven't figured it out. The debate about whether this particular thing should be part of a proper taxing and spending role of the government should have ended decades ago.