Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Coffee

1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    No love for AeroPress? That's my go-to these days. I also have a French press and a drip machine that sprays the water on the grinds in a pourover-esque way apparently.

I have a Baratza Virtuoso and I love it. Like my pal rousseau, I'm getting spoiled on the good stuff and right now I tend to hoover up anything unwashed from Ethiopia. I don't think there's room on my countertop for a dedicated espresso maker unfortunately, because I'm itching to get into that as well. The AeroPress can make strong, concentrated coffee that tastes somewhat similar to a shot of espresso, but the pressure is nowhere near high enough to get the same taste.
    I've heard of Aeropresses but never looked into them. Just looked them up and thought they sounded similar to stove-tops.

Turns out they are very similar

(at least in their use of pressure, not as much the end result)

2. Top | #12
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    In the past I used Pete's. Tully's Starbucks and others.

Now I use good old Maxwell House Columbian grocery store coffee.
    I really enjoy Chock full o'Nuts half-caff. Goes on sale frequently for $1.99 for 10.3 oz can. I need sugar and half-and-half with any coffee. I drink 3 to 4 cups per day.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    No love for AeroPress? That's my go-to these days. I also have a French press and a drip machine that sprays the water on the grinds in a pourover-esque way apparently.

I have a Baratza Virtuoso and I love it. Like my pal rousseau, I'm getting spoiled on the good stuff and right now I tend to hoover up anything unwashed from Ethiopia. I don't think there's room on my countertop for a dedicated espresso maker unfortunately, because I'm itching to get into that as well. The AeroPress can make strong, concentrated coffee that tastes somewhat similar to a shot of espresso, but the pressure is nowhere near high enough to get the same taste.
    I've heard of Aeropresses but never looked into them. Just looked them up and thought they sounded similar to stove-tops.

Coffee snobs can be really gate-keepy about espresso. There's actually no definition of espresso regarding how much pressure there should be, and early designs from the inventor of the machine were closer to the Moka pot style than anything in a Starbucks. I was reading about that pot this morning, apparently the company (Bialetti) isn't doing so well. Might pick one up while I still can, as they seem to be high quality.

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Coffee snobs can be really gate-keepy about espresso. There's actually no definition of espresso regarding how much pressure there should be, and early designs from the inventor of the machine were closer to the Moka pot style than anything in a Starbucks. I was reading about that pot this morning, apparently the company (Bialetti) isn't doing so well. Might pick one up while I still can, as they seem to be high quality.
    I'd be curious to know what differences there are from pot to pot. There are basically no components besides the water catch, the area for your grounds / siphon, and the coffee catch. Can't imagine much of a functional difference between them besides aesthetics, and maybe the quality of the metal for health reasons.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    True, it's a very simple design. Maybe the metal quality is it. They were originally made of aluminum because so was everything at the time, but stainless steel should work just as well. I think IKEA makes one?

6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    True, it's a very simple design. Maybe the metal quality is it. They were originally made of aluminum because so was everything at the time, but stainless steel should work just as well. I think IKEA makes one?
    I just had one of my parents point out Aluminum as a potential cause of health problems, but on some searching just now it doesn't look like that's the case.

7. Top | #17
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Missing that Italian coffee today.

Had a heavy Christmas lunch with team, wanted coffee, Tim's won't do.

8. Top | #18
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I used to use a French Press. Then I used a coffee maker. I'd end up making and drinking too much.

I tries the single cup drip funnels. They were messy with the wet filters and required more coffee to make a good cup.

Now I put a cup of water in a Pyrex cup. Add coffee and stir. Then microwave for 5 minutes. I let sit for a minute and then drain through a stainless steel screen that was meant for kitchen sink drains.

Minimizes the amount of coffee I use and I get the same brew every time. Easy cleanup, rinse in the sink.
    I remember the Folgers coffee singles and actually used them on occasion. But typically I'd pick up an assortment of beans at one of the coffee shops and use the blade grinder, stainless steel screen and a filter. It was all heaven one cup at a time.

Once I had a pound of fresh beans done to a turkish extra fine grind. Great kick and aroma but tasted a bit like brewed sawdust as I recall, but no bother, coffee was always spelled L-O-V-E.

Still have the stainless steel screen that along with a mesh cover now gets used to strain wine into the secondary fermenter.

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm almost two months into half-caf now, and it looks like coffee has been completely stripped out of my brain's reward system. Half-caf is about the equivalent of a black tea, which really has no punch at all and so coffee is feeling less like coffee, more like coffee flavoured water.

I still get an occasional craving, but they're way less intense and frequent.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Anyone tried Laughing Man Coffee? I read about it in People, in an article listing perfect Xmas gifts. I think it's Hugh Jackman's brand (not that that matters.) I ordered a bag, won't get it for 5 or 6 days.