Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Making Coffee

1. Top | #31
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post

That's good. The caffeine definitely ups the jitters. Good if you're swinging a pick digging a ditch, bad if you're trying to relax and concentrate.

I also discovered that less caffeine makes me more observant, probably because I'm slowed-down. Even riding a bike I notice I make better, safer decisions.

Unfortunately for me the love of coffee abides even after 13 years. Must be similar to alcoholism or nicotine addiction, seems those reward pathways never forget. I've actually considered trying some again, decaff of course, to see if the system will tolerate it, because many foods I avoided for the past 13 years I am consuming again in small quantities with no ill effects. Some still send me hate mail so I avoid. Plus I recently retired so much of the stress is also gone.

We shall see.
    How did you react when you gave it up completely? Were you completely caffeine-free or just not drinking coffee?

This is a bit of a debate for me now. I've finagled the habit so my caffeine intake is now very low, but I can tell I'm still dependent on the half-caf mix I've been drinking. I figure I could go the full mile and just rid myself of it altogether, but I'm not sure how I'll react to being completely off of it.

Also debating what the point of drinking coffee with low caffeine is. I do enjoy the flavour, but if it's not doing anything it feels like a waste of money.
    Sorry I missed this post.

Giving up coffee was like overcoming an addiction. It was very difficult and took several tries over a couple years. Fortunately it aggravated my IBS to the point that I would need medication so I HAD to stop.

Yes, I am caffeine free though some gets in occasionally.

Has anyone tried the cold brewed coffee? It is supposed to be much less acidic than hot brewed coffee. I want to try it because coffee always got me going in the mornings. Being older and retired it's harder getting the kinks out in the mornings.

2. Top | #32
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts

That's good. The caffeine definitely ups the jitters. Good if you're swinging a pick digging a ditch, bad if you're trying to relax and concentrate.

I also discovered that less caffeine makes me more observant, probably because I'm slowed-down. Even riding a bike I notice I make better, safer decisions.

Unfortunately for me the love of coffee abides even after 13 years. Must be similar to alcoholism or nicotine addiction, seems those reward pathways never forget. I've actually considered trying some again, decaff of course, to see if the system will tolerate it, because many foods I avoided for the past 13 years I am consuming again in small quantities with no ill effects. Some still send me hate mail so I avoid. Plus I recently retired so much of the stress is also gone.

We shall see.
    How did you react when you gave it up completely? Were you completely caffeine-free or just not drinking coffee?

This is a bit of a debate for me now. I've finagled the habit so my caffeine intake is now very low, but I can tell I'm still dependent on the half-caf mix I've been drinking. I figure I could go the full mile and just rid myself of it altogether, but I'm not sure how I'll react to being completely off of it.

Also debating what the point of drinking coffee with low caffeine is. I do enjoy the flavour, but if it's not doing anything it feels like a waste of money.

Giving up coffee was like overcoming an addiction. It was very difficult and took several tries over a couple years. Fortunately it aggravated my IBS to the point that I would need medication so I HAD to stop.

It's taken me far longer to kick caffeine than it did nicotine. Nearly a year since moving to half-caf, and I'm now at 10% regular / 90% caffeine-free coffee. Caffeine seems to be a bit pernicious as it's not actually that bad for you.

One of the best decisions I've ever made for my health, though. The difference in my anxiety levels can't be overstated, for the first time in years I feel like a normal person. I also recall you mentioning that your observational skills improved when you kicked the habit. I'm finding the same - far less rumination, much easier to ground myself in the present.

3. Top | #33
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Dwight

4. Top | #34
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts

It's taken me far longer to kick caffeine than it did nicotine. Nearly a year since moving to half-caf, and I'm now at 10% regular / 90% caffeine-free coffee. Caffeine seems to be a bit pernicious as it's not actually that bad for you.

One of the best decisions I've ever made for my health, though. The difference in my anxiety levels can't be overstated, for the first time in years I feel like a normal person. I also recall you mentioning that your observational skills improved when you kicked the habit. I'm finding the same - far less rumination, much easier to ground myself in the present.
    Recently took a few more steps down to 8.5% and then 5%. Looks like I've crossed some kind of threshold with these steps where the caffeine's no longer having an effect. So far I feel.. alert, energized, but balanced. Just much more balanced than when I was drinking a regular amount of caffeine, but still just as alert, if not more.

It does seem like I'm getting tired more quickly at night, though. And falling asleep doesn't take too long at all.

5. Top | #35
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Kicking the caffeine habit definitely improved sleep. So sleep is improved and there are other benefits such as you mentioned, like less anxiety, but it comes at the cost of not being able to wake up as quickly and absorb that jolt of caffeine energy. Plus, for those of us who know, coffee just tastes good, is healthy, and it certainly dulls pain such as the wear and tear that age brings.

I tried some weed recently to see if I could see an effect on pain and stiffness. Ate less than one gram of weed, which is a lot I've since learned, to get the anti inflammatory effect of THCA, not the psychoactive effect of THC. Found out that 20 mg is a potent dose and I exceeded that tremendously, plus the weed had been dried, though not decarbed, meaning I really overdosed.

Had a bit of a bad trip, anxiety, increased pulse, dry mouth, that lasted six hours. Didn't think that would happen but I'm no weed expert obviously.

Have also tried Yerba Mate in the past and it affected me like caffeine/coffee so had to nix that too.

I may try the weed thing again but only after I get a milligram scale so I can dose correctly.

But like all recovering addicts I sure miss the coffee and that coffee ritual in the mornings. Health and a happy marriage, however, are worth the trade-off.

6. Top | #36
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Kicking the caffeine habit definitely improved sleep. So sleep is improved and there are other benefits such as you mentioned, like less anxiety, but it comes at the cost of not being able to wake up as quickly and absorb that jolt of caffeine energy. Plus, for those of us who know, coffee just tastes good, is healthy, and it certainly dulls pain such as the wear and tear that age brings.

I tried some weed recently to see if I could see an effect on pain and stiffness. Ate less than one gram of weed, which is a lot I've since learned, to get the anti inflammatory effect of THCA, not the psychoactive effect of THC. Found out that 20 mg is a potent dose and I exceeded that tremendously, plus the weed had been dried, though not decarbed, meaning I really overdosed.

Had a bit of a bad trip, anxiety, increased pulse, dry mouth, that lasted six hours. Didn't think that would happen but I'm no weed expert obviously.

Have also tried Yerba Mate in the past and it affected me like caffeine/coffee so had to nix that too.

I may try the weed thing again but only after I get a milligram scale so I can dose correctly.

But like all recovering addicts I sure miss the coffee and that coffee ritual in the mornings. Health and a happy marriage, however, are worth the trade-off.
    I haven't found any difficulty waking up, actually the last few weeks I've been springing out of bed and am ready to go right away. Might be an age thing?

Yea a gram of pot could easily last you week, and bad trips are pretty common when over-dosing. You did the equivalent of drinking about 7 cups of coffee in a row.

7. Top | #37
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So yesterday I splurged on the most expensive coffee I've ever purchased, $14.20 per pound. I bought 1/2 pound coarsely ground. Wow does the house smell great!

12 oz cold filtered water, 11 grams coffee, steep for 12 hours in airtight container. I gave it a couple shakes along the way. I then filtered it through a paper drip filter, added 100 grams of unsweetened almond milk.

It's very good, barely a hint of bitterness, which may simply be the result of the long steeping time. Recommendations go from 6 to 12 hours and mine was probably 13 hours, but it is very good.

Caffeine relieves pain, which is scientific fact. Caffeine and coffee also bring on IBS symptoms in yours truly and I wish to find out if the reduced acidity in cold brew can allow me to have a bit of pain relief and the health benefits that come with coffee consumption.

My recipe is half strength of recommended, IOW twice the water. I also had to confess my behavior to my wife with whom I've had a pact for the past 12 years that I would not drink coffee. But she is okay with my plan.

8. Top | #38
    Contributor
    Never heard of cold brewed d coffee.

The French presses I tried never lasted. I boil water and pour into a large cup and add coffee. Stir a few times and let sit. I filter through a stainless steel mesh. No paper filters to dispose of.
    a
    I found tat leaving filtered coffee out overnight deepens the flavor.

9. Top | #39
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

The French presses I tried never lasted. I boil water and pour into a large cup and add coffee. Stir a few times and let sit. I filter through a stainless steel mesh. No paper filters to dispose of.
    a
    I've read that there is less caffeine in cold brewed coffee, if that matters to some, and also because it's coarse ground it will have less caffeine.

It's also very convenient because you don't heat water, you just need to think ahead to make it and like your coffee cold. If you don't like it cold I guess it can be nuked.

The coffee I made is two tablespoons of coarse grinds to 12 ounces of water. After filtering I add six tablespoons of almond milk as a creamer, which is a lot but the taste of it is good. An old food grade ice cream container with a leak proof lid works perfectly for the overnight brew.

10. Top | #40
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

a
    I've read that there is less caffeine in cold brewed coffee, if that matters to some, and also because it's coarse ground it will have less caffeine.

It's also very convenient because you don't heat water, you just need to think ahead to make it and like your coffee cold. If you don't like it cold I guess it can be nuked.

The coffee I made is two tablespoons of coarse grinds to 12 ounces of water. After filtering I add six tablespoons of almond milk as a creamer, which is a lot but the taste of it is good. An old food grade ice cream container with a leak proof lid works perfectly for the overnight brew.
    I once found a recipe for iced coffee that I liked.

Not sure where it is now but roughly - mix coffee with room temperature water, cover, let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain, chill or add ice-cubes, and drink with a pinch of salt.