Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I’m dreaming of a White Christmas!

1. Top | #31
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Gayna, you just make friends everywhere you go, don't you?
    It didn’t want to leave me!

2. Top | #32
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    I picked up a hitchhiker.

Just curious, what are buildings in the background?

3. Top | #33
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I picked up a hitchhiker.

Just curious, what are buildings in the background?
    I think it’s the Treasury Building.

4. Top | #34
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I tell you, you will enjoy that one day of snow, and then never want to see it again. Millions of us travel south to get away from the stuff. Its hard for me to imagine anyone wanting to actually go TOWARDS or FOR it. lol

That said, if I lived away from it for too long, I would miss skating, skiing, toboganing and making snowmen. It all does have its charm.

5. Top | #35
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    I tell you, you will enjoy that one day of snow, and then never want to see it again. Millions of us travel south to get away from the stuff. Its hard for me to imagine anyone wanting to actually go TOWARDS or FOR it. lol

That said, if I lived away from it for too long, I would miss skating, skiing, toboganing and making snowmen. It all does have its charm.
    I never did get to see snow! According to my SIL, it snowed in Central London 5 days after we left.

6. Top | #36
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I never did get to see snow! According to my SIL, it snowed in Central London 5 days after we left.
    I'm sorry you missed the nice, white fluffy stuff.

One of my friends came to visit in early December from her slightly warmer part of the US to where I live in the Great Frozen North. I specifically ordered up 3-5 inches of fluffy white snow for her and by gosh! I delivered! She used to live in Alaska when she was a kid (army brat) and misses snow when she doesn't get it where she lives now. We were able to give her the whole Northern Winter experience, trudging through snow to find just the right Christmas tree, cutting it down (tree farm so that was expected), lots of soup, etc. Plus, it had snowed the day before they arrived so the roads were cleared. And it wasn't horribly cold. All in all, it was perfect.

However, now that we are caught in a polar vortex, she does not miss the weather at all. They're on the edge and getting some of it but they are reliably 10-20 degrees air temp warmer than we are.

7. Top | #37
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

One of my friends came to visit in early December from her slightly warmer part of the US to where I live in the Great Frozen North. I specifically ordered up 3-5 inches of fluffy white snow for her and by gosh! I delivered! She used to live in Alaska when she was a kid (army brat) and misses snow when she doesn't get it where she lives now. We were able to give her the whole Northern Winter experience, trudging through snow to find just the right Christmas tree, cutting it down (tree farm so that was expected), lots of soup, etc. Plus, it had snowed the day before they arrived so the roads were cleared. And it wasn't horribly cold. All in all, it was perfect.

However, now that we are caught in a polar vortex, she does not miss the weather at all. They're on the edge and getting some of it but they are reliably 10-20 degrees air temp warmer than we are.
    I was hoping for all of that, and oh Well!

Maybe another year!

Your Christmas sounds delightful.

And, I hope you are coping with your cold weather ok.

8. Top | #38
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Maybe another year!

It was lovely having friends come help us find our tree and decorating. We got to celebrate my friend's birthday, as well. So wonderful times together.

The worst of the cold is over for us. Tomorrow, temps are predicted to be 40 degrees higher than they are today which is about 25-30 degrees warmer than they were a few days ago. Then it will get cold again and we'll have more snow. But this really severe polar blast is unlikely to return this year.

I'm used to it--or 'used to it' after 30 years of living here. I am more worried about our elderly dog than I am about how we humans are coping. And our heating bill. Not looking forward to that one next month...

9. Top | #39
    Archived
    Total Posts

Maybe another year!

It was lovely having friends come help us find our tree and decorating. We got to celebrate my friend's birthday, as well. So wonderful times together.

The worst of the cold is over for us. Tomorrow, temps are predicted to be 40 degrees higher than they are today which is about 25-30 degrees warmer than they were a few days ago. Then it will get cold again and we'll have more snow. But this really severe polar blast is unlikely to return this year.

I'm used to it--or 'used to it' after 30 years of living here. I am more worried about our elderly dog than I am about how we humans are coping. And our heating bill. Not looking forward to that one next month...
    I always find it easier to warm up than to cool down. A wheat bag dinged in the microwave and placed in the bed, will keep warm for hours. Not it’s inten use, but more efficient than a hot water bottle, and more comfy to hold. Besides, there are blankets and so on.

10. Top | #40
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well, since you really seem to want some snow...

(I'm not certain of the identity of the mountain, it was well off in the distance.)