Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer

1. Top | #331
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    The Champion's League Final isn't disappointing. Man City seem to be falling into old habits and underestimating Chelsea / lacking hunger. Chelsea just wanted it more in the first half, outperformed them, and eventually scored. It will be interesting to see if Man City can prove they have an ounce of character in the second half.
    From my amateurish opinion Man City just got beat. In the second half Chelsea controlled the flow of the game and stopped City from getting into any type of rhythm.

Clearly money is getting City deep into the Champion's League, but I'm just not seeing the drive or cohesion to win it.

2. Top | #332
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The Champion's League Final isn't disappointing. Man City seem to be falling into old habits and underestimating Chelsea / lacking hunger. Chelsea just wanted it more in the first half, outperformed them, and eventually scored. It will be interesting to see if Man City can prove they have an ounce of character in the second half.
    From my amateurish opinion Man City just got beat. In the second half Chelsea controlled the flow of the game and stopped City from getting into any type of rhythm.

Clearly money is getting City deep into the Champion's League, but I'm just not seeing the drive or cohesion to win it.
    Football is weird. Man City is a great team (despite being a bunch of bums ), but being great isn't everything. These finals is a lot about coaching and setting up a system to inhibit the opposing team.

3. Top | #333
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

Football is weird. Man City is a great team (despite being a bunch of bums ), but being great isn't everything. These finals is a lot about coaching and setting up a system to inhibit the opposing team.
    That makes sense. There was a lot of talk pre-game about the match and Guardiola's legacy. Coaching likely was a big factor, but to my eye Chelsea just had more energy and executed. Man City still seem to have a mental hang-up that they're supposed to win every game without actually having to put forth any effort or determination.

4. Top | #334
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Copa America (South American nation's tournament) moved from Covid-19 surging Argentina to Covid-19 surged Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    The tournament was originally planned to be hosted by Argentina. CONMEBOL did not specify why the tournament had been removed from Argentina, but the country is currently suffering from a rise in coronavirus cases, with a seven-day average of more than 30,000 new daily cases, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The virus however is also rampant in Brazil, raising questions in some quarters about its suitability as a host.
    "We were very criticized by some governors and other people because we are announcing this. There is still nothing confirmed. I want to point out very clearly. We are in the middle of the process, but we will not shy away from the demand, if, it is possible to meet," Luiz Eduardo Ramos, chief of staff to the Brazilian presidency, told press early Monday evening.
    In the middle of the process. The tournament starts in less than two weeks! Covid-19 cases in Brazil are 2x that of Argentina.

That said, looks like no attendance for the games.

5. Top | #335
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Copa America (South American nation's tournament) moved from Covid-19 surging Argentina to Covid-19 surged Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    The tournament was originally planned to be hosted by Argentina. CONMEBOL did not specify why the tournament had been removed from Argentina, but the country is currently suffering from a rise in coronavirus cases, with a seven-day average of more than 30,000 new daily cases, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The virus however is also rampant in Brazil, raising questions in some quarters about its suitability as a host.
    "We were very criticized by some governors and other people because we are announcing this. There is still nothing confirmed. I want to point out very clearly. We are in the middle of the process, but we will not shy away from the demand, if, it is possible to meet," Luiz Eduardo Ramos, chief of staff to the Brazilian presidency, told press early Monday evening.
    In the middle of the process. The tournament starts in less than two weeks! Covid-19 cases in Brazil are 2x that of Argentina.

That said, looks like no attendance for the games.
    Here in Australia, the annual 'State of Origin' Rugby League (sorry, wrong kind of football) series between New South Wales and Queensland was planned to be the usual three matches, one in a neutral venue, and one in the capital city of each competing state.

The neutral venue this year was planned to be Melbourne's famous cricket ground, but due to a handful of COVID cases in Melbourne, it has been relocated just ten days before the match - much to the disgust of the New South Wales coach, the match will now be played in Townsville, Queensland.

Due to the complete absence of any COVID cases in Australia outside Melbourne, these matches will be played in front of capacity crowds. State of Origin is arguably the largest annual sporting event in Australia.

6. Top | #336
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Naughty naughty. "Top" six teams in EPL face absolutely brutal 30 point deduction and 25 million pound fine per team for the Europe Super League stunt... err... if they do it again. Instead, they'll pay an aggregate fine of 22 million pounds, which I think is about 10 million kg. That amounts to barely even a tap on the wrist.

As a reminder, the ESL was an attempt for rich and mostly non-domestically owned super franchises (and Tottenham Hotspur) (whatever happened to our local Spur's supporter Linimus) to not have to worry about qualifying anymore for the Champions League. Support (as in lack of) for the announced league was so unanimous, you'd swear they polled men about whom wanted to chop off their manhood.

The draconian penalties the EPL squads will not have to pay is a reminder that it is better to do and ask forgiveness than to be respectful.

7. Top | #337
    Contributor
    Euro 2020 gets underway on Friday. This will be an interesting tournament, difficult to say who will win but I’m picking Les Bleus or Belgium to be in the final at least.

8. Top | #338
    Contributor
    Azzurri turn on the style against Turkey with a 3-0 win. The Italians, notoriously slow starters in tournaments were on fire. Their third goal was a work of art.

9. Top | #339
    Contributor
    Tragic stuff in the Denmark Finland game. Erickson collapsed on the field. He’s been getting CPR for about ten minutes.

10. Top | #340
    Contributor
    I wonder if this unfortunate incident is vaccine related. I read there was a glut of players getting the vaccine in time for the tournament.