Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member

Soccer

I have watched some games over here mostly Bundesliga and Primer leagues.

I do not see much difference in the level of play, but the I have not watched a lot.

Only a few times have I seen coordinated play leading to a goal.

Most of it seems hit or miss.

Is there a European hierarchy of leagues? Over her we have major leagues and minor leagues. We also have semi-pro football, baseball, and basketball leagues.

Where does FIFA fit in?

I do not doubt the physical condition neded for the sport. It sems nea impossible to directly move the ball end to end.

Are there strategies and specific player roles other than goalie? Seems like it comes down to 1 or 2 players on a team for goals. Blocking is not allowed and I do not see coordinated action by multiple players.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    I hardly watch soccer now but watched a Bundesliga game last night. Bayren Munich won 3-0 against some other team. I never watch the MLS for more than five minutes. The main European leagues (England, Spain, Italy, the ones with TV coverage) are pretty stagnant now, mostly dominated by the same three or four teams. Depending on the teams involved, goals are created by various means, the good skillful teams can create scoring chances by quick, slick passing. Less skillful teams hoof the ball into the danger area and see what happens. The strategies vary. Less skillful team sit back and defend and hope to break out quickly, other teams will pass the ball to death and hope their opponents are so bored they lose concentration. Others look like they don't have a strategy and are just aimlessly booting the ball in the direction the player is facing. Some teams can't string more than two passes together, even the good teams have an off day where this can happen. Soccer is not as easy to play as it looks. Most leagues have a top tier league and have lower leagues, at least two lower leagues. Teams are promoted to the top tier by winning the lower league. Bottom of the top tier will get relegated to the lower league, sometimes this involves a playoff.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Soccer is not as easy to play as it looks.
    So true. Having played soccer until I was 18 I still find it amazing to watch premier league players cross the ball across the field almost directly onto a players foot. The brunt of premier league players are so good that they make this look easy, but just that simple placement is incredibly hard at that distance. Actually doing pretty much anything with your feet with fine control takes a ton of practice.

You can really see the difference in skill-level here when you move from the premier league down to the championship, or even those near the relegation zone in the premier league.

Most leagues have a top tier league and have lower leagues, at least two lower leagues. Teams are promoted to the top tier by winning the lower league. Bottom of the top tier will get relegated to the lower league, sometimes this involves a playoff.
    I believe in England the leagues form an entire pyramid with thousands of teams, all theoretically in the same system.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The EPL has the best parity, hands down. The problem with La Liga is you are just waiting for Barcelona or Real Madrid to win their game of the week. Bundesliga has little competition at all. The football leagues in Europe are not like the US, as each team is independent and teams move up, move down, or stay in their respective ladder based leagues based on their annual performance, top three/four. Imagine the Rochester Rhinos advancing to the MLS merely by winning their second division league, not because their own paid the annually required pyramid scheme franchise fee. Read up on AFC Wimbledon to get a feel for how deep the ladder of leagues is.

Strategies involve plugging gaps, pressing to regain possession, parking the bus, counter attacks. You never know what you'll get sometimes in an EPL match.
    I hardly watch soccer now but watched a Bundesliga game last night. Bayren Munich won 3-0 against some other team. I never watch the MLS for more than five minutes.
    I like watching soccer and almost never watch the MLS. I feel bad barely even knowing that the playoffs are going on.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Soccer is not as easy to play as it looks.
    So true. Having played soccer until I was 18 I still find it amazing to watch premier league players cross the ball across the field almost directly onto a players foot. The brunt of premier league players are so good that they make this look easy, but just that simple placement is incredibly hard at that distance. Actually doing pretty much anything with your feet with fine control takes a ton of practice.
    You have to have a natural ability to start with. Most people, even if they practiced 18 hours a day would never come close to being as good as a top tier player and even if they practiced all day, every day they would never be as good as say, Messi or Ronaldo. And then there is the mystery of the donkey Lukaku, terrible first touch, couldn't trap a bag of cement and yet plays in the EPL.

You can really see the difference in skill-level here when you move from the premier league down to the championship, or even those near the relegation zone in the premier league.
    You notice it more where they can't place a pass to a team mate that is only a few meters away from them.

I believe in England the leagues form an entire pyramid with thousands of teams, all theoretically in the same system.
    They are part of the same body, the Football Association but I am not sure the structure once you get beyond the top three leagues. I think it is broken into regions.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    The EPL has the best parity, hands down. The problem with La Liga is you are just waiting for Barcelona or Real Madrid to win their game of the week. Bundesliga has little competition at all. The football leagues in Europe are not like the US, as each team is independent and teams move up, move down, or stay in their respective ladder based leagues based on their annual performance, top three/four. Imagine the Rochester Rhinos advancing to the MLS merely by winning their second division league, not because their own paid the annually required pyramid scheme franchise fee. Read up on AFC Wimbledon to get a feel for how deep the ladder of leagues is.

Strategies involve plugging gaps, pressing to regain possession, parking the bus, counter attacks. You never know what you'll get sometimes in an EPL match.
    I hardly watch soccer now but watched a Bundesliga game last night. Bayren Munich won 3-0 against some other team. I never watch the MLS for more than five minutes.
    I like watching soccer and almost never watch the MLS. I feel bad barely even knowing that the playoffs are going on.
    Anymore the Champions League seems to be what people are really interested in. Winning domestic leagues no longer seems to carry the same prestige, probably owing to the lack of parity.

Really, these days I'm more interested in what Messi and Ronaldo are doing than anything else. The last decade or so are going to be defined by their accomplishments. I'll turn on Barca FC basically just to watch Messi.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    It doesn't seem to be a very good standard from what I have seen, on a par with the Mexican league which is pretty poor. Seems more physical and less flair.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    I'll turn on Barca FC basically just to watch Messi.
    I used to count myself as a Barca fan back in the day but now it is fashionable I have stepped back. I'm going back to the days when Schuster, Victor, Archibald played. When Iniesta and Xavi were playing, they were worth watching. Great players.

9. Top | #9
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It doesn't seem to be a very good standard from what I have seen, on a par with the Mexican league which is pretty poor. Seems more physical and less flair.
    Just doesn't have the popularity or money yet. I'd almost go as far as calling soccer a niche sport in North America. It's definitely growing, but nowhere near the same popularity as in Europe.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Just doesn't have the popularity or money yet. I'd almost go as far as calling soccer a niche sport in North America. It's definitely growing, but nowhere near the same popularity as in Europe.
    I would be willing to attend MLS games if it were cheap and close by. But for TV audience, MLS is going to struggle competing against the EPL, Bundisliga and Champions League (Mexican league too) which are all heavily televised in the USA. I mean, we get three EPL games on a Saturday plus two on a Sunday. How can MLS compete against that ?