Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 306

Thread: The human mind

  1. Top | #261
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,182
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    37,735
    Rep Power
    70
    Hardly a little word.

    It is what gives meaning to life.

    The autonomous mind makes life worth living.

    Your antagonism to your autonomous mind is not interesting.

  2. Top | #262
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    7,960
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    25,866
    Rep Power
    66
    Autonomous mind is an assumption. Given the evidence from physics, neuroscience, case studies, experiments, evaluations, etc, autonomy of mind is a false assumption.

  3. Top | #263
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,182
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    37,735
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Autonomous mind is an assumption. Given the evidence from physics, neuroscience, case studies, experiments, evaluations, etc, autonomy of mind is a false assumption.
    You have no evidence that explains how the mind works.

  4. Top | #264
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    7,960
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    25,866
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Autonomous mind is an assumption. Given the evidence from physics, neuroscience, case studies, experiments, evaluations, etc, autonomy of mind is a false assumption.
    You have no evidence that explains how the mind works.
    Yawn....we are back to that Red Herring again.

    No need to explain how a brain generates mind order to understand that it is in fact the brain that generates mind. That is the point you dance around.

    You dance around the the physics of cognition, the timing between input and response, experiments, case studies, analysis and so on, all ignored by you while repeating your notion of autonomy of mind.

  5. Top | #265
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,182
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    37,735
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Autonomous mind is an assumption. Given the evidence from physics, neuroscience, case studies, experiments, evaluations, etc, autonomy of mind is a false assumption.
    You have no evidence that explains how the mind works.
    No need to explain how a brain generates mind order to understand that it is in fact the brain that generates mind. That is the point you dance around.
    I don't dance around this dense shit I am forced to wade through it constantly.

    It is meaningless.

    Knowing the thing that creates the mind tells us absolutely nothing about the nature of the mind or the capabilities of a mind once created.

    Saying "the brain created it" over and over mindlessly is totally meaningless.

    Talking about the physics of some phenomena you don't understand is stupidity.

  6. Top | #266
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    9,606
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    27,819
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Hardly a little word.
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post

    It is what gives meaning to life.

    The autonomous mind makes life worth living.

    Your antagonism to your autonomous mind is not interesting.


    When you can explain why irrational explanations served man's interests for thousands resulting in nothing war, disease and harm, to finally be replaced by empirically derived explanations that works then I'll consider the meaning of your autonomous worth of being ridden with war, disease and harm.

    Hell, I might even invent some God or another. Hell, there's another invention of the autonomous mind.

    Look after you get tired of admiring your Barlow Face detector you might consider whether there is any relevance to it being found in the minds of cats.

  7. Top | #267
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,182
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    37,735
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Hardly a little word.
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post

    It is what gives meaning to life.

    The autonomous mind makes life worth living.

    Your antagonism to your autonomous mind is not interesting.


    When you can explain why irrational explanations served man's interests for thousands resulting in nothing war, disease and harm, to finally be replaced by empirically derived explanations that works then I'll consider the meaning of your autonomous worth of being ridden with war, disease and harm.

    Hell, I might even invent some God or another. Hell, there's another invention of the autonomous mind.

    Look after you get tired of admiring your Barlow Face detector you might consider whether there is any relevance to it being found in the minds of cats.
    What is not autonomous about the king who orders others to fight his war?

    Or the man who fights it because he is too much a coward not to?

    What is not autonomous about the preacher having position and prestige telling stories to people who autonomously want to believe them?

  8. Top | #268
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    7,960
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    25,866
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    No need to explain how a brain generates mind order to understand that it is in fact the brain that generates mind. That is the point you dance around.
    I don't dance around this dense shit I am forced to wade through it constantly.

    It is meaningless.

    Knowing the thing that creates the mind tells us absolutely nothing about the nature of the mind or the capabilities of a mind once created.

    Saying "the brain created it" over and over mindlessly is totally meaningless.

    Talking about the physics of some phenomena you don't understand is stupidity.
    Now you are crying about it. You dance like a Ballerina.

    You are on your own on this issue. Your idea of autonomy of mind is not supported by research,evidence or anything else objective. You base your notion on subjective experience, even while ignoring how your subjective experience is being produced by your brain.

  9. Top | #269
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    9,606
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    27,819
    Rep Power
    48
    If he's doing ballet he's doing it poorly on imaginary crutches.

  10. Top | #270
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,182
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    37,735
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    No need to explain how a brain generates mind order to understand that it is in fact the brain that generates mind. That is the point you dance around.
    I don't dance around this dense shit I am forced to wade through it constantly.

    It is meaningless.

    Knowing the thing that creates the mind tells us absolutely nothing about the nature of the mind or the capabilities of a mind once created.

    Saying "the brain created it" over and over mindlessly is totally meaningless.

    Talking about the physics of some phenomena you don't understand is stupidity.
    Now you are crying about it. You dance like a Ballerina.

    You are on your own on this issue. Your idea of autonomy of mind is not supported by research,evidence or anything else objective. You base your notion on subjective experience, even while ignoring how your subjective experience is being produced by your brain.
    Knowing the mind is created by some unknown activity will never tell you what the mind is or what it can do.

    Droning over and over "the brain created it" is a sign of serious stupidity and blindness to rational thought.

    The autonomy of mind is demonstrated by a mind that chooses to believe something. Even if it is stupidity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •