Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 574

Thread: The human mind

  1. Top | #561
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,659
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,565
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post


    If the stimuli has any information about color then it would have to force the brain somehow to create that color from the information.

    Conclusion: The stimuli has no information about color contained within it.
    OMG.

  2. Top | #562
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,766
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    38,319
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    If the stimuli has any information about color then it would have to force the brain somehow to create that color from the information.

    Conclusion: The stimuli has no information about color contained within it.
    OMG.
    You're saying it's self evident?

  3. Top | #563
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,659
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,565
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    If the stimuli has any information about color then it would have to force the brain somehow to create that color from the information.

    Conclusion: The stimuli has no information about color contained within it.
    OMG.
    You're saying it's self evident?

    A reaction to reading something that is so incredibly wrong. You should know by now that it is the brain that is interpreting wavelength as colour, not that wavelength is colour

  4. Top | #564
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,766
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    38,319
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post

    You're saying it's self evident?

    A reaction to reading something that is so incredibly wrong. You should know by now that it is the brain that is interpreting wavelength as colour, not that wavelength is colour
    There is no information about color in any wavelength.

    There is the ability of so-called "light" energy to cause an evolved brain to create color.

    But the energy has no color or any information about color contained within it.

    All of the information about color exists in the thing that creates the experience of color.

  5. Top | #565
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,730
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Color cannot be generated by a colorless stimuli.

    All a colorless stimuli can do is trigger a brain to use pre-existing mechanisms to create the experience of a color.

    And memory doesn't have a thing to do with it.

    You are usable to reason through a simple causal chain.

    blue wavelengths-> eyes-> optic nerves-> optic center in brain-> blue image

    Where the wavelets are transformed to a blue image by brain chemistry and neural processing. Or another way of stating, wavelengths detected by wavelength sensitive cones in the eye stimulate a response we call color vision. The perception of color is generic. There are genetic defects that make some people color blind.

    If color perception is a function of your concept of mind independent of brain, how do you explain those who are color blind?

    Is that unclear?
    Is there color information in the wavelength?

    If so how does the EM energy force a brain to create that color? How does a brain get the information about that color?

    Your answers here will tell us if you have a clue.

    What color production does is show that the mind is being fed information from the brain.

    The brain that can turn a stimulation into the experience of color doesn't need some subject to experience it. The brain can just experience it, whatever that could possibly mean.

    A brain that can experience doesn't need a subject that is experiencing anything.

    A brain that can experience has no need of a mind.
    To restate the brain creates what we call colors based on the wavelengths hitting the eye. It is a physical process.

    Like you say, blue does not exist....you are calling it blue when you see it because by custom that is what we call it.

    Not complicated.

    Light does exists. Retina does exists. Naves exists. Neural process of light exists.

    How do you explain what blue is to a blind or color bling person?

  6. Top | #566
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,766
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    38,319
    Rep Power
    72
    I have said over and over that blue exists.

    It exists as an experience.

    Subjective experiences exist as subjective experiences.

    The stimuli that causes a brain to create blue exists too.

    But no information about blue is contained in the stimuli.

  7. Top | #567
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,659
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,565
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post

    You're saying it's self evident?

    A reaction to reading something that is so incredibly wrong. You should know by now that it is the brain that is interpreting wavelength as colour, not that wavelength is colour
    There is no information about color in any wavelength.
    Wavelength IS information.

  8. Top | #568
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    10,753
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    28,966
    Rep Power
    52
    ...only when it is measured or observed.

  9. Top | #569
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,659
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,565
    Rep Power
    69
    Yes indeed.

  10. Top | #570
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,766
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    38,319
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post

    There is no information about color in any wavelength.
    Wavelength IS information.
    Non-sequitur.

    Who said it wasn't?

    I said it was not information about color.

    The only place any information about color exists is in the thing that creates the experience of color but that is a kind of information that has nothing to do with the information contained in EM energy.

    One kind of information is turned into a completely different kind of information.

    Like the information contained in pressing a key is changed into the information that creates a letter on the screen.

    No information about a letter is contained in pushing a key. Every press has the same information. What matters is what is pressed not that pressing has occurred.
    Last edited by untermensche; 03-13-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2019, 10:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2018, 12:28 AM
  3. Human freedom is constrained by the mind's content and physical ability
    By rousseau in forum Other Philosophical Discussions
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 03-09-2016, 06:22 PM
  4. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •