Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: They aren't actually "trick" questions, you know.

1. Top | #271
    Veteran Member
    I m surrounded by Christians, I have no problems. What I have observed is that for many of them it is total emersion. They constantly read and discuss the bible. It is all consuming.

I currently use a computer in the facility library. A bible group of around 10 meet in the library sometimes when I am there. It is the same thing. They spend a lot of time pecking through scripture trying to piece together meaning. It is how they find a way to cope with reality and pedonasl problems.

Some people facing end of life or slow deterioration find a lot of comfort in faith.

I would never on a personal basis try to dissuade or interfere with an individual's faith. I respect it even though it is not always mutual.

I can say with this group there is a bit of an us vs them attitude. Faith shields them from the bad influences in the world. Us against the world.

We tend to accentuate the negative here, but there are benefits as well..

2. Top | #272
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by remez View Post
    Is it then reasonable to ask the theists for reason, evidence and science since you have already emoted there can't be any?
    I’m an optimist. Which is why I’m constantly surprised when they don’t use reason, I keep expecting that, as humans, they will.
    I’m an optimist too. So I’ll try again here on just this one point. I’m not trying to advance any theism here. All I’m trying to do is expose the logic of your OP and question. It is like you are premising the judgement of an artist on their ability to draw a simple one ended stick. That would be a disingenuous test/trick, b/c it can’t be done. Try it.

So again………this is important..... You only quoted my question there and responded to that. But you left out the premise of the question. You are missing the premise to your question which is where half of my contention is based. That is why you don’t understand what I’m trying to say.

Here is YOUR premise….. Your whole OP really over killed this point. Theists do not reason. Theists do not have evidence. Theists do not use science. Theists think differently because….basically they don’t think at all. Theists only have blind faith.

Do you get that?

Now examine FROM THAT PREMISE…… You ask them to give you reason, evidence and science for their belief. How can they possible do that if you have already set the parameters that rule out all reason, evidence and science?

Therefore you are asking for something you know in advance you can't get.
    So.............. How is that a fair question?

That's it.

but for this last caveat.......
    I completely disagree with YOUR premise. But we can't talk about that b/c that would derail your thread. I tried and you chastised me for it. So I’ll leave that out. I only mention it so that you don't conclude that I agree with YOUR blind faith premise. But given YOUR premise I reason that your question is unfair and Lion is correct.

3. Top | #273
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    I think that this thread is making me have more respect for those honest Christians who respond when asked details about their religion that the detail is true because that is what the Bible says. At least there is no pretense that they figured it out all by themselves. And they don't see it as a 'trick question' because they have no doubts about their answer.
    Fine. But when you are ready to move past beating up straw men, I'll be here.