Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green New Deal wildly popular with all population segments

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Green New Deal wildly popular with all population segments

https://earther.gizmodo.com/new-poll...cas-1831158171

(View video on YouTube)

It would mean more jobs for non-wealthy people, it would mean cheaper energy in the future, and it would mean less economic damage from climate change in the far future. Even among fascists conservatives, this idea is favored.

So, of course, all Republicans and most Democrats (namely the conservadems) will be against this. They aren't interested in doing what the people want, they only want to do what campaign donors want.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I watched more than half of the video. First of all these results were based on one small online poll. It's pretty stupid to make a statement that most people back her plan based on one unscientific poll. Secondly, getting off of all fossil fuels by 2030 sounds very unrealistic. Let them do more accurate polling and then they can start making claims that most people want this. 900 or so people answering an online poll is pretty meaningless, imo.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lovely idea, but a lot of the most progressive ideas seem to be based on wishful thinking. I didn't watch the entire video as I strongly prefer to read information, rather than watch someone on a video. Did it give any details as to how such a plan could be accomplished? Do you have a link that explains the details of her plan in writing?

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You know what? This will sound odd, but I say wishful thinking is good here. I don't think Ocasio-Cortez is a genius. I don't think she will come up with the best ideas, policies, etc. Same with Bernie before her. But I think the mere balls of them trying in the face of the resistance to it all, is the mustering of the political will to make a real effort, and that WILL bring progress. She also strikes me as somebody who will listen to scientists and other real experts and not put her own ego first. I hope she can hold onto that. I could see her as a future President if she does in 15 to 20 or so years after a long career of pushing forward the progressive movement.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Jobs--yes.

Cheaper energy--nope.

Less economic damage--questionable.

People favor the goal she favors, that doesn't mean her road gets us there.

Sky-pie usually looks yummy.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In other news: America's Oil And Gas Reserves Double With Massive New Permian Discovery

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielco...discovery/amp/

It looks like cheap fossil fuels will be with us for quite some time.

The reality is that the US is now the #1 oil and gas producer in the world, with plenty of reserves. People will be reluctant to spend billions more in taxpayer money on pie in the sky when energy is cheap and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I watched more than half of the video. First of all these results were based on one small online poll. It's pretty stupid to make a statement that most people back her plan based on one unscientific poll. Secondly, getting off of all fossil fuels by 2030 sounds very unrealistic. Let them do more accurate polling and then they can start making claims that most people want this. 900 or so people answering an online poll is pretty meaningless, imo.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lovely idea, but a lot of the most progressive ideas seem to be based on wishful thinking. I didn't watch the entire video as I strongly prefer to read information, rather than watch someone on a video. Did it give any details as to how such a plan could be accomplished? Do you have a link that explains the details of her plan in writing?
    Yeah. These progressives. Next they'll want to go to the Moon in a decade!

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axulus View Post
    In other news: America's Oil And Gas Reserves Double With Massive New Permian Discovery

The reality is that the US is now the #1 oil and gas producer in the world, with plenty of reserves. People will be reluctant to spend billions more in taxpayer money on pie in the sky when energy is cheap and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.
    Yeah, if only there were something that could be done to lower the cost of some of these and raise the cost of the others

I guess it's impossible. Efficient markets, Pareto, blah blah blah.

Nope. The government can't do anything.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

I agree. The paradox though, is this should precisely be the times during fossil fuel abundance when green infrastructure should be begun. Because of the means to build what it takes today with cheap fuel. This same green infrastructure will be much more expensive perhaps even impossible in the future if/when oil becomes scarce and expensive again.

9. Top | #9
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

It's much less expensive for me to dump my trash and sewage out into the street.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Do California first. Let it be a shining example to the world.