Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UK scientists are ‘significantly less religious’ than Brits in general

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It must be disquieting to advocates of traditionalist theologies that the scientists whose work gets them the closest to the human mind are the scientists least likely to believe that our minds are made of some special soul-stuff that will depart from each one's body in one piece when that body dies.

History and Theology: Mind-Body Dualism and Possibility of Artificial Intelligence, Even “Born Again” Machines! Some Xian theologians are now moving away from their traditional doctrine of substance dualism, and I'm sure that Xian apologists will start to claim that their religion has never taught it.

But one's consciousness surviving the death of one's body would be hard to do under most alternatives to substance dualism. Most other theories have a much tighter connection between mind and body, so when the body dies, the mind goes with it. What is Consciousness — Information is Beautiful has some nice illustrations of various theories.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    ...There's a pretty well demonstrated correlation between high IQ and atheism.
    It's important that those who reject God, do so with confidence, arrogance and conceit thereby leaving no doubt as to their position and no wiggle room when they find themselves standing at the Pearly Gates.

3. Top | #13
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    It must be disquieting to advocates of traditionalist theologies that the scientists whose work gets them the closest to the human mind are the scientists least likely to believe that our minds are made of some special soul-stuff that will depart from each one's body in one piece when that body dies.

History and Theology: Mind-Body Dualism and Possibility of Artificial Intelligence, Even “Born Again” Machines! Some Xian theologians are now moving away from their traditional doctrine of substance dualism, and I'm sure that Xian apologists will start to claim that their religion has never taught it.

But one's consciousness surviving the death of one's body would be hard to do under most alternatives to substance dualism. Most other theories have a much tighter connection between mind and body, so when the body dies, the mind goes with it. What is Consciousness — Information is Beautiful has some nice illustrations of various theories.
    But on the bright side for theists, after their death they will not be regretting having wasted so much of their life studying and worshipping the wishful thinking of so many religious leaders that came before them. Like everyone else they can't regret or rejoice in how they spent their time during life.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    It's important that those who reject God, do so with confidence, arrogance and conceit thereby leaving no doubt as to their position and no wiggle room when they find themselves standing at the Pearly Gates.
    Confidence, arrogance and conceit coupled with a sense of unbridled self importance are the hallmarks of many theists around the parts I have lived for the past 30 years.

Confidence: Many never went to college, but they are certain that evolution is wrong and that science supports young earth creationism.
    Arrogance: Their belief that their preferred god is the right god and everyone else is wrong, and going to rot in hell (which is what you said/implied in your post).
    Conceit: They believe that their god created the universe just for them to enjoy.

You yourself have been called out for acting like a smug, superior prick on these forums by various people. And yet here you are again, telling us that atheists are stupid and wrong and unworthy of your imaginary skycreature's benevolence.
    Last edited by Angry Floof; 12-30-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: ToU

5. Top | #15
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Religion is nothing if not petty moralizing and goading of non-believers. I hope your own confidence, arrogance, and conceit, not to mention blind bootlicking, help you sleep at night, because there is nothing of humanity or conscience in your world view.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For a Love God whose most consistent value, we are told, is forgiveness, he sure makes a big deal with the threats.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    You yourself have been called out for acting like a smug, superior prick on these forums by various people.
    "...Not tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, or nakedness, peril, sword…neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature…"

Yes, I suppose that does sound a little arrogant.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    You yourself have been called out for acting like a smug, superior prick on these forums by various people.
    "...Not tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, or nakedness, peril, sword…neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature…"

Yes, I suppose that does sound a little arrogant.
    You keep threatening us with damnation and denying us your imaginary friend's grace, and yet you think you are somehow being persecuted because some people react unfavorably to your threats? Unbelievable.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member

Nobody ever persecuted me. Wanna try?

How can God be a threat if He doesn't exist?

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How can God be a threat if He doesn't exist?
    I am not worried about your little psychopathic friend. But I am sick and tired of being told that I am arrogant and conceited and stupid, and that I am going to burn in hell. Especially when the people telling me this are the same people who behave in an arrogant and conceited manner, the people who habitually lie to cover up the gaping holes in their apologetics, the people who believe they have the right to speak for their god and judge others.

If you choose to live your life on earth as a slave because you believe that will allow you to spend eternity kissing your imaginary friend's ass, fine. That is your choice. But if you try to impose your slave mentality on others with threats of violence and torture, you are going to get called out for being an asshole. That is how the real world works.