Page 501 of 504 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 5033

Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

  1. Top | #5001
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    3,786
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    3,960
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    AOC wants a higher threshold than $50,000 - to help doctors and the like with very big student-load debts.
    Doctors (i.e. physicians) in the US have large salaries and can well afford to pay their student loans.

    Why should these 1%ers be subsidized with student loan forgiveness?

    And again, how would she pay her entire wish list?
    Yea, but you're forgetting that their expenses are going way up. You can't deduct as many expenses on your second home, boats are more expensive, salary for butlers and maid are way up, jet fuel is up, $400,000 a year dosn't go as far as it use to. We need to help the medical class out better...
    And now, the rest of the image.



    And an average salary as a resident of about $50k when your struggling to pay just the interest to Sallie Mae.

    So, yeah, 10 to 14 years later when you actually start getting your doctor pay, it's nothing but boats and butlers.

    Or maybe buy a home, raise a family, pay off your loans.

    But then, then, you're for sure jetting off to the vacation home.

    Fairly, they probably live pretty nice in retirement.

    Nothing like the meager existence we suffer.

  2. Top | #5002
    Contributor Trausti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    8,364
    Archived
    372
    Total Posts
    8,736
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post

    Yea, but you're forgetting that their expenses are going way up. You can't deduct as many expenses on your second home, boats are more expensive, salary for butlers and maid are way up, jet fuel is up, $400,000 a year dosn't go as far as it use to. We need to help the medical class out better...
    And now, the rest of the image.



    And an average salary as a resident of about $50k when your struggling to pay just the interest to Sallie Mae.

    So, yeah, 10 to 14 years later when you actually start getting your doctor pay, it's nothing but boats and butlers.

    Or maybe buy a home, raise a family, pay off your loans.

    But then, then, you're for sure jetting off to the vacation home.

    Fairly, they probably live pretty nice in retirement.

    Nothing like the meager existence we suffer.
    But why should the working class who could not or did not want to attend college subsidize that?

  3. Top | #5003
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    23,850
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    40,403
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    But why should the working class who could not or did not want to attend college subsidize that?
    If doctors do not have huge student debts they can see less patients.

    That means they can spend more time with each patient.

    Who wants a cardiologist in a hurry because they have huge student debt?

  4. Top | #5004
    Contributor Trausti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    8,364
    Archived
    372
    Total Posts
    8,736
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    But why should the working class who could not or did not want to attend college subsidize that?
    If doctors do not have huge student debts they can see less patients.

    That means they can spend more time with each patient.

    Who wants a cardiologist in a hurry because they have huge student debt?
    You live in your own fantasy, unter.

  5. Top | #5005
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    23,850
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    40,403
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    But why should the working class who could not or did not want to attend college subsidize that?
    If doctors do not have huge student debts they can see less patients.

    That means they can spend more time with each patient.

    Who wants a cardiologist in a hurry because they have huge student debt?
    You live in your own fantasy, unter.
    I work in healthcare and talk to doctors every working day.

  6. Top | #5006
    Administrator lpetrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    15,634
    Archived
    16,829
    Total Posts
    32,463
    Rep Power
    95
    AOC Interview On MSNBC's All In With Chris Hayes(FULL) - YouTube
    split in two:
    AOC On Manchin’s Voting Rights Excuse: ‘I Don’t Buy It’ - YouTube
    AOC Slams Biden Immigration Plan: ‘It’s Wrong And It’s Inhumane’ - YouTube

    She said that many of her colleagues consider democracy under threat by Republicans trying to rig elections so that it is nearly impossible to defeat them. She thinks that some people have "an unwavering faith" in American institutions that is not very justified. Some politicians may represent constituencies that are not under threat. She suspects that Joe Manchin's constituency is not the sort of people who feel that their right to vote is under attack, the way that many black Americans do. She says that West Virginia is not a very high priority for Republican vote suppressors because that state is very reliably Republican.

    She continues with HR1. It has countermeasures against both voter suppression and against dark money. She especially likes the latter. She said that the likes of the Koch brothers and the Heritage Foundation did a "victory lap" over Tim Manchin's continuing support of the Senate filibuster.

    Interviewer Chris Hayes then got into Kamala Harris saying to would-be immigrants "Do not come. Do not come." She criticized the admin's immigration policy as "wrong" and "inhumane". These immigrants know about the dangers that they face, and AOC compared the trip to jumping out of a burning building, because of the horrible things that they risk in their homelands. She then noted US meddling and climate-change troubles. She suspects that detention of immigrants is deliberately cruel to deter immigration.

    Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Interview On CNN State Of The Union (FULL) - YouTube

    The interview started with the proposed compromise infrastructure bill, $1.7 trillion, with $0.6 T in new spending. Would AOC vote yes or no? She is disappointed in its lack of climate action. It's something that's spread out over 8 to 10 years. She said that a big problem is Senate Democrats who are obstructing this effort for reasons that she thinks don't hold a lot of water. Where are the 10 Republican Senators who would help in overcoming the other Republicans' inevitable filibuster? She pointed out that not enough Republicans supported a 1/6 commission despite it having a thoroughly bipartisan design.

    She thinks that it's better to go it alone and get more done rather than try to pursue Republican votes that may likely not be delivered. I think that she's right. Mitch McConnell is dead set on obstructing the Democrats. He did that over Obama's presidency, and he did that after the Democrats took the House in 2018.

    She suggests that some filibuster defenders romanticize an era of Republicans that does not exist anymore. Also that Sen. Manchin likes the status quo of accepting lots of lobbyist money.

    Then how the Biden DOJ seems to be continuing some Trump policies. Could it be that this is from some Trump appointees still being in place?

    Then when she tweeted that some fellow Democrats have mischaracterized some of the things that Ilhan Omar has recently said. IO was talking about some ICC investigations into war crimes, and some people claimed that she was equating the subjects of these investigations.

    That has led to people making threats against IO, something that AOC herself is familiar with.

    Then about Rep. Mondaire Jones saying that Supreme Court Justice Steven Breyer should retire, so that Pres. Biden and Congress can fill his seat with a younger liberal successor. She didn't quite call for his resignation, but she noted the opposite happening, evidently a reference to Ruth Bader Ginsburg's refusal to step down. After saying that we cannot expect to depend on the Supreme Court, she said that "that should be a consideration". It's something that she thinks about, and that she inclines toward "yes", but she conceded that she'd have to give it more thought.


    She recently Instagrammed on how she did that interview. She noted that a lot of policymakers watch the Sunday-morning politics talk shows, and that that could be trouble in this age of COVID-19. She said that Zoom is sometimes unreliable and that one's home or office is not the best sort of studio. So CNN sent out a studio van, and she did her interview in it.

  7. Top | #5007
    Administrator lpetrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    15,634
    Archived
    16,829
    Total Posts
    32,463
    Rep Power
    95
    Seems like AOC could have a great career in NYC politics if she burns out of national politics.

    New York Indivisible on Instagram: “😘 Some friends want to tell you that #EarlyVoting begins today. @aoc @jamaalbowmanny @brad.lander @cabanforqueens 🌞 📷 @danielefram”

    Tiffany Cabán on Instagram: “Recently our Congresswoman @AOC said, “If your movement isn’t having fun, it isn’t growing!” …”
    Recently our Congresswoman @AOC said, “If your movement isn’t having fun, it isn’t growing!”

    #TeamCabán is having a blast. Over the past two weekends we have hosted huge events with special guests to get out the vote!

    We had a rally with @sengianaris and @jumaane.williams at Astoria Houses while listening to some of our dopest homegrown talent @discotwins and @djspunk spin. Shoutout to @louie.p.sosa, @T_Spunk, @DiscoTwins, @PrettyFace_Q, @Pure_n_Sexy, @TheNappyFrappe, @Chynas_Kitchen_NYC,
    Brad Lander on Instagram: “Great to kick off an early voting canvass in Astoria with the best team this morning! …”
    Early voting kickoff w AOC & Jamaal Bowman!

    Great to kick off an early voting canvass in Astoria with the best team this morning!

    Thank you @aoc @jamaalbowmanny @jumaane.williams for coming to help us get out the vote for @cabanforqueens and me!

    Find your poll site: findmypollsite.vote.nyc

  8. Top | #5008

  9. Top | #5009
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    3,786
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    3,960
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post

    Yea, but you're forgetting that their expenses are going way up. You can't deduct as many expenses on your second home, boats are more expensive, salary for butlers and maid are way up, jet fuel is up, $400,000 a year dosn't go as far as it use to. We need to help the medical class out better...
    And now, the rest of the image.



    And an average salary as a resident of about $50k when your struggling to pay just the interest to Sallie Mae.

    So, yeah, 10 to 14 years later when you actually start getting your doctor pay, it's nothing but boats and butlers.

    Or maybe buy a home, raise a family, pay off your loans.

    But then, then, you're for sure jetting off to the vacation home.

    Fairly, they probably live pretty nice in retirement.

    Nothing like the meager existence we suffer.
    But why should the working class who could not or did not want to attend college subsidize that?
    I’d think a wealthy nation would see the benefit of paying for the education of all its citizens so they may achieve their full potential and the country as a whole may benefit from their talents.
    Wouldn’t you agree, twelve years of stripped down public education just isn’t getting the job done? Wouldn’t you agree at least four more years are necessary to develop a person’s talents, two if swinging a hammer or turning a wrench is all you’ve got to give?
    Why should a person’s talent languish? Why should the country not benefit from another surgeon and their specialty? Because they couldn’t afford it? No. Any person’s talent left undeveloped diminishes us all as a nation. I’m more than happy to chip in. And those who cannot see the benefit or are simply selfish and believe themselves to be an island should be made to chip in.
    This is where government comes in. Not to simply bend to the will of the collective mass as doing so would only lead to mediocrity or worse. Ideally we elect the best and brightest amongst us to do what is in our best interest even when we do not recognize it as such.

  10. Top | #5010

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 02-12-2020, 09:26 PM
  2. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez can't afford to live in DC
    By lpetrich in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 12-18-2018, 08:31 AM
  3. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez vs. Mike Huckabee
    By lpetrich in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-13-2018, 01:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •