Page 341 of 365 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 3644

Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

1. Top | #3401
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    AOC as a schoolteacher? She might still have been an activist, and she might still have run for office some day. All the ways that history could turn out...
    What would she be teaching? Certainly not English with her "most amount" ...

2. Top | #3402
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What on Earth would such an airhead as AOC teach? I know. She would teach the gullible 15-18 year old students that magic is possible. All it needs is to plant a billion money trees! And the free shit would be unlimited!
    Last edited by angelo; 12-09-2019 at 01:04 PM.

3. Top | #3403
    Archived
    Total Posts
    December 2019 Town Hall | Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    About her Green New Deal upgrade of public housing.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I am so thankful for how our NY-14 community pays attention.
    The Congressional schedule has members in DC most of the week, so that often means events on nights/weekends.But people make time for it 💜

It’s Sunday night in Jackson Heights & we had a packed house talking policy! https://t.co/F1jQrwRsYI" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It really means a lot to me. I know how precious people’s free time is, and the fact that Bronx & Queens families choose to spend their time with me to ask important questions is very meaningful.
    So thanks everyone! See you again next weekend!" / Twitter

NKMJWY on Twitter: "@AOC @shek_krishnan I sure do wish my rep, @RepStefanik, would come and have a real, open town hall in NY-21. Sadly, she's too busy gaslighting for Devin Nunes." / Twitter
    That's Elise Stefanik, the previous youngest woman ever elected to Congress, and someone who brags about being the opposite of AOC.

SGTweets on Twitter: "@AOC @shek_krishnan So what’s @GOP excuse for never holding town halls or anything. My GOP Rep and Senator day it’s a security and scheduling issue. Doesn’t seem like everyone is a coward like them." / Twitter

Less of a Hypocrite on Twitter: "@AOC @shek_krishnan My Congressman, @RepJohnKatko, has never had an open town hall. Never. Not once. 700,000 people in his district. No accountability. Fears his own constituency." / Twitter

All four of those no-show politicians are Republicans. I recall AOC recommending that politicians do regular town halls, and that if they don't, then local activists should have in-absentia town halls with pictures or cutouts of the no-show politicians.

Sharon Louden on Twitter: "@AOC @shek_krishnan Yay! It was just fantastic. THANK YOU for making time for us, for answering questions truthfully and with transparency, thank you for listening, for being kind. I’m even more motivated after meeting you. Thanks for all you do for us! 🙏🏼❤️" / Twitter

4. Top | #3404
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    AOC as a schoolteacher? She might still have been an activist, and she might still have run for office some day. All the ways that history could turn out...
    What would she be teaching? Certainly not English with her "most amount" ...
    "Most amount"???

Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    What on Earth would such an airhead as AOC teach? I know. She would teach the gullible 15-18 year old students that magic is possible. All it needs is to plant a billion money trees! And the free shit would be unlimited!
    How so???

AOC has a history of being a tutor.

Students from four nations converge on Cabrini for Northeast CWS - NHI Magazine - 2017 Jul 29
    The program’s educational director, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, took a week from her campaign for a U.S. Congressional seat to help coordinate the Northeast CWS program. She said, “I often get asked at this program why I am taking a week off the campaign trail to work with 150 high school students. The answer is simple: It’s entirely centering. They are why I’m doing this. My background as an educator and working in my community is the only reason I’m running for Congress. Serving with them, and having the students serve me with their insights, and learning more about them and their passions, humanizes this race for me. It reminds me what’s important. It’s reminds me why I’m doing this and who I’m doing it for.”
    NHI = National Hispanic Institute
    CWS = Collegiate World Series

From NHI to Congress: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - NHI Magazine - 2017 Jul 1
    Running for Congress was not a planned venture. My community engagement, activism, and life experiences led me here in a rather unexpected way. Years ago I worked for the late Senator Kennedy, but quickly exited politics after disliking the influence of money and dynastic power in our political system. I tried to focus on social entrepreneurship and community work instead. After the recession hit and my family was in danger of losing our home, I turned to the service industry to help make ends meet.

That all changed last year, when I helped organize the Bronx for the Bernie Sanders campaign. After the election some friends and I hopped in a car and began sitting down with everyday people across the country to explore pressing issues facing our communities: we went to Flint, MI; Standing Rock, South Dakota; and Puerto Rico.

To be honest, I didn’t quite know what doors I was opening then. I was following my instinct. When I got back from those travels, I got a call from Brand New Congress regarding my nomination for a congressional run. There would be no big money or backroom deals involved – it would be an all-grassroots effort to move the nation forward. It felt like exactly what the country needed and the right thing to do.
    Celebracion 2017 panel explores future of Latinos in politics - NHI Magazine - 2017 Nov 21 -- And Ocasio-Cortez perhaps expressed that best in assessing the tribalism existing in today’s politics, noting, “The gas that fuels tribalism is fear. The antidote for that is hope and love. I practice a politics based on love.”

5. Top | #3405
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bangladeshi Amer for Political Progress (BAPP) on Twitter: "Tonight some of our members got the opportunity to thank @aoc in person for supporting us. She was so excited about endeavors. We can’t wait to collaborate with her on working class issues facing the Bangladeshi-American community. https://t.co/Af3TKVHMPY" / Twitter
    With a picture of AOC with them - she likes to look like some well-dressed businesswoman.

NPR on Twitter: "A new U.N. report argues many of the street protests popping up around the globe are driven by a growing sense that societies are rigged to favor the powerful — and trap the masses in low-wage, dead-end lives. https://t.co/dPxLxDzY6r" / Twitter
    noting
    Income Inequality Isn't The Only Kind Of Global Inequity, Says U.N. Report : Goats and Soda : NPR
    "What people perhaps 30, 40 years ago were led to believe and often saw around them," Steiner says, "was that if you worked hard, you could escape poverty." Yet in many countries today, he says upward social mobility is "simply not occurring" anymore.

The Human Development Report 2019 makes the case that many of the street protests popping up around the globe are driven by a growing sense that societies are rigged to favor the powerful and trap the masses in low-wage, dead-end lives.
    AOC herself had made a case like that in her campaign video "The Courage to Change".

6. Top | #3406
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    "Most amount"???
    That's what she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandria Occasional Cortex
    When–at what point is it immoral that we’re building Jeff Bezos a helipad when we have the most amount of homeless people in New York City?

What did she tutor those kids in? Activism for dummies?

Running for Congress was not a planned venture.
    Not by her. She fell ass-backwards into it. The whole thing was planned though by DSA and JD.

7. Top | #3407
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post

Why isn't the elephant in the room been addressed? That elephant is Islam! A backward barbaric supremacist ideology that is purely religion driven.
    One might even go so far as to posit the not only is Islam "religion driven", it even seems to act like an actual religion! Who would have thought?
    The trouble arises because it's a supremacists ideology posing as a religion!
    Take a look Derec, case in point. Angelo still does not realize that Islam is a religion.
    What don't you understand about my point that islam is a supremacist ideology posing as a religion?
    The thing I don't understand is how you can fail to realize that Islam is, in fact, a religion.

Nearly any religion can manifest extremist ideologies in its followers, Christianity is another such example, and Islam is no exception in this regard.
    Big, big difference is xtianity went through a reformation which today renders it mostly harmless as compared to the murderous, barbaric ideology of islam! Over 35.000 muzzie terrorist attacks just since 9/11 which has resulted in hundreds of thousand of innocent deaths and maimed.
    Nice number you have there, care to back it up?

I don't think you have ever posted anything close to an accurate number on this board in any context, so please provide a credible source.

8. Top | #3408
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    That's what she said.

What did she tutor those kids in? Activism for dummies?

Running for Congress was not a planned venture.
    Not by her. She fell ass-backwards into it. The whole thing was planned though by DSA and JD.
    Really, Derec? I'd love to know your academic accomplishments. My guess is that they don't hold a candle to AOC's.

My other guess is that if she were Alex instead of Alexandria, you would not be nearly so vocal.

9. Top | #3409
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is the Fourth Most Tweeted About Politician in the World, Beating Clinton, Sanders and Biden
    noting
    #ThisHappened in 2019
    The most tweeted about: Donald Trump, Barack Obama, Indian PM Narendra Modi, AOC, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, French President Emmanuel Macron, Russian President Vladimir Putin.
    The New York representative has an enormous audience on the network, holding 5.6 million followers on her account at the time of writing.

But, while she has more followers than Biden, Ocasio-Cortez has managed to rank as the fourth most tweeted about politician of the year despite having significantly fewer followers than Clinton and Sanders, who can boast of 26 million and 8.8 million respectively.
    She also gets retweeted a lot and she often makes headlines, like her vs. Amazon.
    President Trump's ranking as the most tweeted about politician worldwide is not likely to come as a surprise, given the fact he has a much greater following of 67.4 million and holds the highest office in American politics.

The commander-in-chief is also a prolific tweeter, posting 105 times on Sunday alone and prompting an angry response from North Korea in the process.
    AOC is not quite as talkative, and she seems to be more careful about what she tweets than Trump. She has even joked about "emptying the bin" of draft tweets that she decided not to send.

Public Citizen on Twitter: ".@AOC: I’m tired of this idea that #MedicareForAll and tuition free public colleges are some hand out from somebody else. Nobody else is giving us a damn thing. We build this on our own. https://t.co/k8IL6Gfq8I" / Twitter

From a year ago:
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Claims Sephardic Jewish Roots – The Forward
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Tweets About Jewish Heritage – The Forward
    Also in the Washington Post and in her Instagram. She also helped light a candle that was then used to light the menorah candles.

10. Top | #3410
    Archived
    Total Posts

Why isn't the elephant in the room been addressed? That elephant is Islam! A backward barbaric supremacist ideology that is purely religion driven.
    One might even go so far as to posit the not only is Islam "religion driven", it even seems to act like an actual religion! Who would have thought?
    The trouble arises because it's a supremacists ideology posing as a religion!
    Take a look Derec, case in point. Angelo still does not realize that Islam is a religion.
    What don't you understand about my point that islam is a supremacist ideology posing as a religion?
    The thing I don't understand is how you can fail to realize that Islam is, in fact, a religion.

Nearly any religion can manifest extremist ideologies in its followers, Christianity is another such example, and Islam is no exception in this regard.
    Big, big difference is xtianity went through a reformation which today renders it mostly harmless as compared to the murderous, barbaric ideology of islam! Over 35.000 muzzie terrorist attacks just since 9/11 which has resulted in hundreds of thousand of innocent deaths and maimed.
    Nice number you have there, care to back it up?

I don't think you have ever posted anything close to an accurate number on this board in any context, so please provide a credible source.
    This is a conservative number. Unless you think this isn't a credible source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rorist_attacks