Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

1. Top | #1761
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Life View Post

In his 2006 movie, An Inconvenient Truth, Gore said that we only have about 10 years left to live. So, we should've died in 2016. We didn't. Now AOC is saying, "12 more years til we're dead. Trust me."

And they say the religious are the doomsday fanatics.
    Here is the transcrpt of An Inconvenient Truth:

https://is.muni.cz/el/1423/jaro2017/...Transcript.pdf

Please point out where "Gore said that we only have about 10 years left to live". Frankly, every statement you make reinforces the general consensus that you are full of shit, probably getting that way by being fed a steady diet of shit provided by Fox News and Breitbart.
    That transcript is using the discredited " hockey stick " among many other by now discredited assertions. Show me where in that transcript any of the doomsday " prophecies " have eventuated!

https://www.heartland.org/news-opini...-warming-fraud
    Saying it is discredited doesn't make it so.

2. Top | #1762
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    I don't understand what she is saying. ...
    She made an analogy of white people being made to grow plantain, so it seems like an issue of what one is familiar with.
    Exactly.

She's saying it's easier to enlist support for community gardens when the gardeners want to grow plants that most white Americans are familiar with like cauliflower, tomatoes, and zucchini, because most white Americans can understand the value in getting them fresh from the garden. Most white Americans don't understand the value of growing a plant like yuca because they're not familiar with it. So it's harder to line up support for a community garden where people will grow yuca or chayote or burdock, which makes it less likely that communities that prefer those plants will be successful in creating one.

3. Top | #1763
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Gentrifying Neighborhoods Powered Ocasio-Cortez's Victory
    Crowley, known until last week as the “king of Queens,” was crushed almost everywhere, but he did better in the Bronx.

“You can also see that most of her votes, the strongest vote support, came from areas like Astoria in Queens and Sunnyside in Queens and parts of Jackson Heights that, number one, were not predominantly Hispanic, so they’re a more mixed population, and are areas where — this is kind of a term of art — are in the process of being gentrified, where newer people are moving in,” said Romalewski.

The analysis flips on its head the post-hoc rationalization that pundits have been using to explain a result they never saw coming. Indeed, her ideas — like establishing a single-payer health care system, tuition-free college, a foreign policy that puts human rights first, or abolishing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement — along with her dogged campaigning, were the engine which motivated that army and powered the upset. As Briahna Gray wrote for The Intercept, Ocasio-Cortez’s message “is not an incidental part of a larger demographic story.

Perhaps the most relevant variable in Ocasio-Cortez’s electoral success is that the drop-off voters didn’t just vote — they got involved. Starting with the base of voters identified by Justice Democrats, an innovative data operation put that army to work. In a tactic developed with field directors from other Justice Democrats campaigns, Chakrabarti said they used voter files to find local residents on social media, and then targeted them with digital ads. Having made a potential voter aware of the campaign, they would then follow up by sending a canvasser to knock on the voter’s door. The combination of the digital ad and the door knock added up to more than the sum of its parts.
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Some folks are saying I won for “demographic” reasons. 1st of all, that’s false. We won w/voters of all kinds. 2nd, here’s my 1st pair of campaign shoes. I knocked doors until rainwater came through my soles. Respect the hustle. We won bc we out-worked the competition. Period.… https://t.co/a2scvwvGrS"
    That tweet shows a picture of her worn-out shoes.

In addition to supporting Ocasio-Cortez for policy reasons, many longtime Hispanic residents no doubt had lived experiences that engendered additional trust and confidence in a local Latina candidate. She supports abolishing ICE, spent the weekend before the election in Texas protesting Trump’s family separation policy, and ran in a district where anti-Latino bigotry is alive and well.

Frantzy Luzincourt, a 19-year-old African-American student at CUNY, experienced some of that bigotry first hand as he manned a polling station at Philip J. Abinanti Elementary School in the Bronx. A woman with powder-white hair and sunglasses, who Luzincourt guessed was in her 70s or 80s, was blunt with him. “I wouldn’t vote for that fuckin’ spic if you paid me,” she told Luzincourt about an hour before he was interviewed by The Intercept. He also relayed details of the encounter to fellow volunteers, who confirmed he had shared the story in real time.
    "Spic" is from "no speak-a the English" -> "no spiggoty English" -> "spiggoty" -> "spic"

Who Ocasio-Cortez is is inextricable from her message. Her viral campaign ad, which she scripted herself, begins with a sophisticated expression of the intersection of race and class. Delivering her economic message effectively relied on her ability to connect her story to the community she came from. ...

But Ocasio-Cortez took pains to resist being flattened into an “identity” candidate. Rather, she demonstrated a particularly sophisticated understanding of intersectionality. ...
    Which helped her get plenty of support from the non-Hispanics in her district.

he numbers spell out a dire warning for Democratic incumbents who may see Crowley’s loss and think that their racial background protects them from similar insurgencies, despite a reliance on corporate money and a voting record that isn’t as strong as it could be in the district.

4. Top | #1764
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post

That transcript is using the discredited " hockey stick " among many other by now discredited assertions.
    Not discredited. But you are.
    Even the IPCC hasn't used it for years as it and Michael Mann are damaged goods.

5. Top | #1765
    Archived
    Total Posts

6. Top | #1766
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post

That transcript is using the discredited " hockey stick " among many other by now discredited assertions.
    Not discredited. But you are.
    Even the IPCC hasn't used it for years as it and Michael Mann are damaged goods.
    Michael Mann's hockey stick graph has been target of incompetent climate denialists from the beginning. But many repeat examinations of Mann's claims have been made by competent scientists and the "hockey stick" has pass all critical examinations with flying colors and remains demonstrably good science. Mann is "damaged goods" only in the eyes of incompetent climate denialists and their dupes. This is all about on the same intellectual plane as flat-earthism.
    Cheerful Charlie

7. Top | #1767

8. Top | #1768
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Today, #MemorialDay, we honor the lives of all those who gave their lives, both abroad and at home, in service to our country. It’s a hard day for many. Take time to be there for one another; to check in, share stories, reflect, or mark quietly with a moment of gratitude."
    No clear origin of this day, unlike Veterans Day, which originated as the end of World War I.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Note to press: It’s sloppy to call any + all climate plans “Green New Deal” policies. Green New Deal policies center jobs + justice in frontline, working communities as we transition our economy+infrastructure. Not all climate policies are the same. Many make inequality worse.… https://t.co/KtLv3bUVgQ" noting Al Jazeera News on Twitter: "Congestion tax in New York seen as litmus test for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal https://t.co/vXKEvGl2Tm… " noting Congestion tax in New York could be Green New Deal litmus test | USA News | Al Jazeera
    I think that the problem here is that congestion pricing seems like something that one might expect to be in the GND, even if it isn't.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "This is not a critique of congestion pricing per se, but it’s to say you can’t just tag any random climate policy + call it GND. Nowhere in the text do we mention congestion pricing. If you’re a journalist that’s going to report on/talk about the GND, READ THE RESOLUTION."
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "5 Principles in the Green New Deal: 1. Go Big 2. Be Specific 3. Set Deadlines 4. Let Them Sue (aka, “Don’t Flinch”) 5. Make Floors, Not Ceilings Awesome breakdown ⬇️ https://t.co/QTKfYWq1b5"

9. Top | #1769

10. Top | #1770
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Today we held an @OversightDems hearing out of DC and into Queens! It was great to host hearing on the US Census directly in impacted communities w/ leaders at LaGuardia Community College. Thank you @RepRaskin & @RepMaloney for your leadership & @RepGregoryMeeks for joining us!… https://t.co/S2FWbD0ZJt"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "What people don’t (maybe do) realize is when orgs air these hateful messages, my life changes bc of the flood of death threats they inspire. I‘ve had mornings where I wake up & the 1st thing I do w/ my coffee is review photos of the men (it’s always men) who want to kill me.… https://t.co/MgaGQTwedD" noting Carmen George on Twitter: "I was just watching a really moving #MemorialDay tribute video at the @FresnoGrizzlies game until they got to a part about America’s adversaries and showed a photo of the @AOC between images of Fidel Castro and Kim Jong-un. That was some seriously offensive editing."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I don’t even get to see all of them. Just the ones that have been flagged as particularly troubling. It happens whenever Fox gets particularly aggressive + hateful, too. Young interns have to constantly hear hateful messages (far beyond disagreement) from ppl we don’t even rep."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "All of this is to say that words matter, and can have consequences for safety. For those who believe in “free speech”: whose free speech do you believe in? Bc some folks using free speech to defend racism are also supporting folks passing laws to allow running over protesters."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "To the silver spoon classists saying they’re going to “make AOC bartend again”: You’re in luck! I’ll be bartending in NY-14 this week to promote a national living wage. So there you have it, ya bunch of milk drinkers🍼😉 Let’s see if my margarita+mocktail game is still on point… https://t.co/gJEhfaPtj1" noting Antonio on Twitter: "Rep.@AOC is returning to her restaurant roots this week. She'll serve drinks to show support for the federal Raise the Wage Act and abolishing below-minimum wage for tipped workers in New York State. H/t @NYDailyNews https://t.co/xHXnCoCzz3"
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "At the event I will also unveil my newest platform policy: Abolish Sour Mix 2020 😉"
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Use real citrus juice for your sours, people! You deserve so much better than what you’re settling for 😭"
    I must be a bad AOC fan because I don't drink CH3CH2OH. She will likely know what I mean, but which other Congresspeople?