Page 322 of 419 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332372 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 4185

Thread: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

  1. Top | #3211
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    4,277
    Archived
    945
    Total Posts
    5,222
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Ocasio-Cortez still popular in district despite being unfavorable nationally ...
    https://www.rollcall.com/news/campai...ble-nationally
    An article from half a year ago. But I've found AOC is vulnerable to a primary challenge, survey finds (NY Post, Sept 17) has
    The survey, commissioned by the decidedly anti-Ocasio-Cortez “Stop The AOC” political action committee, found that 47% of Democrats in the 14th Congressional District view her favorably and 29% unfavorably, with 24% unsure.

    ... The results found that 40% said AOC is helping her district more, 22% said she’s focusing on social media more, and the remaining 38% were unsure.

    Respondents were mixed on whether they would support a primary challenger to AOC — 26% said likely or somewhat likely, 43% said unlikely or somewhat unlikely with nearly a third undecided.
    So AOC will likely win the upcoming Democratic primary. She's taking no chances, however.
    No surprise Murdoch's Post would suggest AOC is vulnerable.

  2. Top | #3212
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,802
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    69,275
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    "If all voters hear about is AOC, it could put the [House] majority at risk," said a top Democrat who is involved in 2020 congressional races. "[S]he's getting all the news and defining everyone else’s races."
    The poll — taken in May, before Speaker Pelosi's latest run-in with AOC and the three other liberal House freshmen known as "The Squad" — included 1,003 likely general-election voters who are white and have two years or less of college education.

    These are the "white, non-college voters" who embraced Donald Trump in 2016 but are needed by Democrats in swing House districts.
    The group that took the poll shared the results with Axios on the condition that it not be named, because the group has to work with all parts of the party.
    The findings:

    Ocasio-Cortez was recognized by 74% of voters in the poll; 22% had a favorable view.
    Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota — another member of The Squad — was recognized by 53% of the voters; 9% (not a typo) had a favorable view.
    Socialism was viewed favorably by 18% of the voters and unfavorably by 69%.
    https://www.axios.com/alexandria-oca...d569dfdf9.html
    Only voters within her district can vote for her reelection. That her negatives are high in the rest of the country, which is not surprising considering the generally negative coverage, is irrelevant to her reelection. Which IIRC was your point.
    Yeah, but the goal from the right-wing is to suggest that Democrats in moderate purple districts are just like Ocasio-Cortez, as in sitting far the left of Marx. And I think their plan is working.

  3. Top | #3213
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    4,277
    Archived
    945
    Total Posts
    5,222
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    "If all voters hear about is AOC, it could put the [House] majority at risk," said a top Democrat who is involved in 2020 congressional races. "[S]he's getting all the news and defining everyone else’s races."
    The poll — taken in May, before Speaker Pelosi's latest run-in with AOC and the three other liberal House freshmen known as "The Squad" — included 1,003 likely general-election voters who are white and have two years or less of college education.

    These are the "white, non-college voters" who embraced Donald Trump in 2016 but are needed by Democrats in swing House districts.
    The group that took the poll shared the results with Axios on the condition that it not be named, because the group has to work with all parts of the party.
    The findings:

    Ocasio-Cortez was recognized by 74% of voters in the poll; 22% had a favorable view.
    Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota — another member of The Squad — was recognized by 53% of the voters; 9% (not a typo) had a favorable view.
    Socialism was viewed favorably by 18% of the voters and unfavorably by 69%.
    https://www.axios.com/alexandria-oca...d569dfdf9.html
    Only voters within her district can vote for her reelection. That her negatives are high in the rest of the country, which is not surprising considering the generally negative coverage, is irrelevant to her reelection. Which IIRC was your point.
    Yeah, but the goal from the right-wing is to suggest that Democrats in moderate purple districts are just like Ocasio-Cortez, as in sitting far the left of Marx. And I think their plan is working.
    I don’t know what you mean by “working”. If in the country at large, I agree. But there’s no sign of that in her district AFAIK.

    AOC’s liberal views make it harder for centrist Dems to compete with the GOP for RW dollars. Which also explains the radical tint she gets from MSM..

  4. Top | #3214
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,802
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    69,275
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Yeah, but the goal from the right-wing is to suggest that Democrats in moderate purple districts are just like Ocasio-Cortez, as in sitting far the left of Marx. And I think their plan is working.
    I don’t know what you mean by “working”. If in the country at large, I agree. But there’s no sign of that in her district AFAIK.
    Agreed on both parts.

    AOC’s liberal views make it harder for centrist Dems to compete with the GOP for RW dollars. Which also explains the radical tint she gets from MSM..
    Wait, I thought the MSM was uber-liberal. Of course, the oversaturated coverage of Ocasio-Cortez is absurd, from all media sources... and the Trump Administration. You'd swear that Ocasio-Cortez was immediately named Chair of the House Appropriations Committee.

  5. Top | #3215
    Administrator lpetrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    9,431
    Archived
    16,829
    Total Posts
    26,260
    Rep Power
    84
    Tomi Lahren on Twitter: "I decided to dress up as the person who scares me most. The Democratic Dimwit Darling, socialist-loving, freedom-hating, former bartender herself @AOC https://t.co/PAEK8LkfvI" / Twitter

    Tomi Lahren on Instagram: “This Halloween I decided to dress up as the thing that scares me most, the Democratic Dimwit Darling herself. I'm not afraid of ghouls…”
    This Halloween I decided to dress up as the thing that scares me most, the Democratic Dimwit Darling herself.
    I'm not afraid of ghouls, ghosts, zombies or political incorrectness. I am far more terrified AOC was actually elected to the United States Congress. Talk about a haunted House... #TeamTomi #halloween #AOC #SocialismKills

    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Back in the Bronx for our community Halloween & Harvest party! 👻🎃
    Over 600 people in the neighborhood came together to dance, decorate pumpkins, & share treats. (I went as industrial policy heroine Rosie the Riveter ☺️)
    Special thanks to @bronxboundbooks for coming through! https://t.co/nMQjf3g3Hv" / Twitter


    At least the bandana part.


    Brad Walsh on Twitter: "The fact that so many republicans LOVE to refer to @AOC as “former bartender” as an insult is them straight up telling you they hate the working class. If you work in service or retail, republicans think you are a joke, a pity, a costume." / Twitter
    referring to Tomi Lahren's dressing up as AOC
    then
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Being a working person in Congress makes me better at my job.
    I can’t tell you how many members don’t know what it’s like to be uninsured, or have to choose between rent and a prescription.
    GOP seem to think that being born with a fancy last name is a personal accomplishment." / Twitter


    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Some of the most nuanced, intelligent, & grounded people I‘ve ever met weren’t at BU, MIT or Harvard events when I was a student.
    They were the plumbers & waitresses I hung out with at happy hour, who had ferocious intellectual curiosity *and* a lived context of the real world." / Twitter

    (Jun 30)
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "In other words, Republicans who criticize my being a waitress as evidence of lacking skill can take their classism to the trash.
    You are insulting the capacities and potential of virtually every working person in America (&the 🌎) for having experience that’s earned, not bought." / Twitter

    (Jun 30)
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "(And that’s if they even take out their own trash, which I doubt)" / Twitter
    (Jun 30)

  6. Top | #3216
    Administrator Mumbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,490
    Archived
    5,536
    Total Posts
    7,026
    Rep Power
    50
    Um...It's worth noting that Tammy threw several on-camera hissy fits over Jay Z, Colin Kaepernick, and the like, over things they said.

  7. Top | #3217
    Administrator lpetrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    9,431
    Archived
    16,829
    Total Posts
    26,260
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Um...It's worth noting that Tammy threw several on-camera hissy fits over Jay Z, Colin Kaepernick, and the like, over things they said.
    Tomi Lahren?

    Dov Hikind releases flashy video promoting upcoming court AOC hearing - coming up on Tue Dec 5.
    “I’ll be confronting congresswoman Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez in federal court over her suppression of my First Amendment rights by blocking me on Twitter,” Hikind says in a press release accompanying the video.

    ...
    “On November 5th we will find out why Ms. Ocasio-Cortez has taken the path of cowardice until now, why she needed to block the founder of Americans Against Antisemitism at a time of rising violent antisemitism,” Hikind said in the video.
    AOC recently tweeted something that I find very troubling:
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Ending mass incarceration means challenging a system that jails the poor to free the rich.
    Arresting people who can’t afford a $2.75 fare makes no one safer and destabilizes our community.
    New Yorkers know that, they’re not having it, and they’re standing up for each other." / Twitter

    This seems to me dangerously close to endorsing fare-beating. I would like some punishment scaled to the crime, like kicking fare-beaters out of the system for a while. Arrest should be saved for fare-beaters who don't get the message.

    But I do think that she has a legitimate point about excessive punishment.

  8. Top | #3218
    Elder Contributor angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    12,402
    Archived
    5,706
    Total Posts
    18,108
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    "If all voters hear about is AOC, it could put the [House] majority at risk," said a top Democrat who is involved in 2020 congressional races. "[S]he's getting all the news and defining everyone else’s races."
    The poll — taken in May, before Speaker Pelosi's latest run-in with AOC and the three other liberal House freshmen known as "The Squad" — included 1,003 likely general-election voters who are white and have two years or less of college education.

    These are the "white, non-college voters" who embraced Donald Trump in 2016 but are needed by Democrats in swing House districts.
    The group that took the poll shared the results with Axios on the condition that it not be named, because the group has to work with all parts of the party.
    The findings:

    Ocasio-Cortez was recognized by 74% of voters in the poll; 22% had a favorable view.
    Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota — another member of The Squad — was recognized by 53% of the voters; 9% (not a typo) had a favorable view.
    Socialism was viewed favorably by 18% of the voters and unfavorably by 69%.
    https://www.axios.com/alexandria-oca...d569dfdf9.html
    Only voters within her district can vote for her reelection. That her negatives are high in the rest of the country, which is not surprising considering the generally negative coverage, is irrelevant to her reelection. Which IIRC was your point.
    No one is receiving more negative coverage in America and the world in general than Trump. Also, many if not most of the people within her district who voted for her last time will not next time, providing there's a credible alternative.

  9. Top | #3219
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    4,277
    Archived
    945
    Total Posts
    5,222
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Parker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    "If all voters hear about is AOC, it could put the [House] majority at risk," said a top Democrat who is involved in 2020 congressional races. "[S]he's getting all the news and defining everyone else’s races."
    The poll — taken in May, before Speaker Pelosi's latest run-in with AOC and the three other liberal House freshmen known as "The Squad" — included 1,003 likely general-election voters who are white and have two years or less of college education.

    These are the "white, non-college voters" who embraced Donald Trump in 2016 but are needed by Democrats in swing House districts.
    The group that took the poll shared the results with Axios on the condition that it not be named, because the group has to work with all parts of the party.
    The findings:

    Ocasio-Cortez was recognized by 74% of voters in the poll; 22% had a favorable view.
    Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota — another member of The Squad — was recognized by 53% of the voters; 9% (not a typo) had a favorable view.
    Socialism was viewed favorably by 18% of the voters and unfavorably by 69%.
    https://www.axios.com/alexandria-oca...d569dfdf9.html
    Only voters within her district can vote for her reelection. That her negatives are high in the rest of the country, which is not surprising considering the generally negative coverage, is irrelevant to her reelection. Which IIRC was your point.
    No one is receiving more negative coverage in America and the world in general than Trump. Also, many if not most of the people within her district who voted for her last time will not next time, providing there's a credible alternative.
    I hope the President gets more coverage than a first term Rep. That it's often negative is not necessarily unfair. Trump himself is more often than not negative.

    As for your second assertion, there is at this time no evidence that "many if not most" of those voters who elected her will not support her in '20.

  10. Top | #3220
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    4,277
    Archived
    945
    Total Posts
    5,222
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Um...It's worth noting that Tammy threw several on-camera hissy fits over Jay Z, Colin Kaepernick, and the like, over things they said.
    Tomi Lahren?

    Dov Hikind releases flashy video promoting upcoming court AOC hearing - coming up on Tue Dec 5.
    “I’ll be confronting congresswoman Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez in federal court over her suppression of my First Amendment rights by blocking me on Twitter,” Hikind says in a press release accompanying the video.

    ...
    “On November 5th we will find out why Ms. Ocasio-Cortez has taken the path of cowardice until now, why she needed to block the founder of Americans Against Antisemitism at a time of rising violent antisemitism,” Hikind said in the video.
    AOC recently tweeted something that I find very troubling:
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Ending mass incarceration means challenging a system that jails the poor to free the rich.
    Arresting people who can’t afford a $2.75 fare makes no one safer and destabilizes our community.
    New Yorkers know that, they’re not having it, and they’re standing up for each other." / Twitter

    This seems to me dangerously close to endorsing fare-beating. I would like some punishment scaled to the crime, like kicking fare-beaters out of the system for a while. Arrest should be saved for fare-beaters who don't get the message.

    But I do think that she has a legitimate point about excessive punishment.
    I'd guess she prefers fare beaters be ticketed or issued a summons. She's not advocating fare beating.

    The "emergency action" comes in response to the MTA's efforts to stop fare-beating, which have led to the deployment of 500 new subway cops across the transit system, among other deterrence measures. Two confrontations caught on video last weekend pushed that frustration to a "boiling point," organizers said.
    In the first instance, last Friday, police were seen pointing their guns at a crowded train car, before tackling 19-year-old Adrian Napier, who was believed to be in possession of a weapon. Napier, who had his hands up throughout the interaction, was found unarmed, and charged only with fare evasion.
    A day later, cops responded to reports of a fight at Jay-Street—Metrotech. During a chaotic struggle, a police officer was caught on video punching two teenagers in the face, one of whom is now suing. The NYPD has declined to name the officers in either incident.
    https://gothamist.com/news/decoloniz...vasionnprotest

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 02-12-2020, 09:26 PM
  2. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez can't afford to live in DC
    By lpetrich in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 12-18-2018, 08:31 AM
  3. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez vs. Mike Huckabee
    By lpetrich in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-13-2018, 01:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •