Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

NFL

This has been one of my favorite seasons of concussionball. The safety rules changes likely did open up the passing game, but the defenses did catch up later in the year. It looked early like it would easily break the season points record, but ended up the second highest scoring season in modern era behind 2013. After the KC-LA record scoring explosion in week 12 and people were wondering if this is the new normal, the offenses came back down closer to earth.

There is no one obviously superior team right now, which is fun. I think any postseason team but Dallas and Philly can still plausibly win it all. (you're welcome for the reverse jinx.)

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    There were more than usual close competitive games this year.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Usually there are a couple teams to keep an eye on, but this year is much different. The Colts and Ravens bother me the most in the AFC as opponents to the New England Defensive Sieves.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    No need to worry about the Ravens now, put to the sword by an unconvincing Chargers and a hapless Ravens quarterback. Dear oh dear.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When is a catch not a completion?

Good ole NFL and the complications caused by 100,000,000 rules. A pass, a catch, a fumble, a play blown dead by the referees, an incompletion.

The call might have technically been correct, but only because the referees were wrong.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Way too many quick whistles recently.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What's messed up is that the ball is sitting there on the 3 and no one on either team bothers to pick it up, just in case. I think the 3 closest players were Eagles. If the ball is loose & you have any doubt as to whether or not it's a live ball, pick it up.

8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell View Post
    What's messed up is that the ball is sitting there on the 3 and no one on either team bothers to pick it up, just in case. I think the 3 closest players were Eagles. If the ball is loose & you have any doubt as to whether or not it's a live ball, pick it up.
    It was blown dead. Huge penalties involved playing against a player if the play is blown dead.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts

(View video on YouTube)

No senor! That miss was excellent drama, from when he made it the first time after the timeout to tbe double doink and the collapsing Bears mascot, and the reactions on Nagy and Trubisky. And that it was the 6th time he's hit an upright this season. And it was slightly tipped.

Foles does it again, and Dallas won, so I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. I had rather the Rams play Dallas than Bears but now maybe not. Elliot will probably get 200 yards. Goff of late has as much fumbleitis as Lamar Jackson, and Gurley is injured, so not as optimistic as should be at 7 point favorites.

On paper, the divisional round looks very competitive all around. Mahomes vs. Luck could be start of many playoff meetings. Saints totally embarrassed Eagles 2 months ago, but can't see that happening this time.

Rivers finally gets a chance to avenge his loss to Brady in the 2007 conference final. That has to be the longest time between having same teams and quarterbacks getting a rematch. A win would be Rivers first against Brady all time in his 8th try.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell View Post
    It was blown dead. Huge penalties involved playing against a player if the play is blown dead.
    But all they had to do was pick up the ball; it was just lying there. If opposing players go for a dead ball and make contact with each other, there's either no penalty or offsetting penalties.