Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reviving the US Equal Rights Amendment

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    Equal rights bad.
    I remember the actual arguments against the ERA that were brought out at the time.

The local diner had a poster of a men's restroom, with four men staring at the one woman using the urinal.

Men would be forced to go to women doctors. Lesbian demonstrations in the classrooms of our once-proud schools. Men having to ride side-saddle. Women-friendly sports crowding football off the screen. Turning the flag to Pink-White-Blue.
    Clint Eastwood having to have a female costar in every flick. Dirty Harriet.

Lots of outrageous bullshit scare tactics, people being quoted on the news with these claims and no one questioning their sources.

Seems like the time is actually ripe for another ERA drive, now that you mention it.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What would the amendment do? An example would be helpful. The 14th Amendment already provides for equality and more - and not just for gender.

3. Top | #13
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    What would the amendment do? An example would be helpful. The 14th Amendment already provides for equality and more - and not just for gender.
    Yeah. While I'm for equal rights I question what this would do that isn't already done.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Yeah. While I'm for equal rights I question what this would do that isn't already done.
    Explicit standing and undeniable basis for claims on the basis of sex, without any exception for rational basis.

5. Top | #15
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Explicit standing and undeniable basis for claims on the basis of sex, without any exception for rational basis.
    So, your position is the 14th amendment does not bar the government from discriminating against women?

That’s quite an extreme retrograde belief. Ruth Bader Ginsburg might give you a kick in the crotch for that belief.

I assume you would then overturn all the Supreme Court decisions that falsely claim it does?

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I do remember the ignorant and vicious Phyllis Schafly claiming the ERA would mandate single sex bathrooms. No lie too big and too outrageous. This sort of grotesque nonsense scared the lil right winged clowns into opposing the ERA tooth and nail.
    Cheerful Charlie

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    I do remember the ignorant and vicious Phyllis Schafly claiming the ERA would mandate single sex bathrooms. No lie too big and too outrageous. This sort of grotesque nonsense scared the lil right winged clowns into opposing the ERA tooth and nail.
    Good start. So the ERA would not mandate single sex bathrooms. What would it do?

8. Top | #18
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Good start. So the ERA would not mandate single sex bathrooms. What would it do?
    I think the ERA supporters' argument is this: Sure, we already have a Constitution that requires the government to treat all people equally. But the ERA would require the government to treat women equally too.

The premise contained in ERA supporters' arguments seems clear enough. They don't think women are people.

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dismal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

So, your position is the 14th amendment does not bar the government from discriminating against women?

That’s quite an extreme retrograde belief. Ruth Bader Ginsburg might give you a kick in the crotch for that belief.

I assume you would then overturn all the Supreme Court decisions that falsely claim it does?
    Correct. It does not. It was passed explicitly before women's sufferage was realized, and jurisprudence has held, repeatedly, that it does not explicitly apply to women, particularly where a "specific government objective" may be concerned. An ERA would hold that there is no such valid specific government objective.

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What it would do is pose a serious problem to gender-specific legislation, such as VAWA.