Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 359

Thread: The Wall

  1. Top | #261
    Veteran Member PyramidHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    2,747
    Archived
    4,389
    Total Posts
    7,136
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    A year, four years, 8, doesn't matter.

    He can say he committed us to the Wall, and construction has technically started, promise kept. And whoever halts construction later down the line, not Trump's fault. And as a gift to future racists, they can run on a 'liberals want to take away your guns AND your Wall' ticket....
    When someone breaks into your house, you’re free to complain unless of course who so happens to break in is of a different race. In that case, your disdain for those that would break in is no longer a matter of principle but rather a matter of race. Odd.
    I'd argue that no matter who broke into your house, be they white, black, brindle or yellow or any colour in between, deserves everything done to them!
    Something is wrong with you if you think of the country as a big house that you partly own

  2. Top | #262
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sector 001
    Posts
    8,062
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    22,497
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    I'd argue that no matter who broke into your house, be they white, black, brindle or yellow or any colour in between, deserves everything done to them!
    That is irrational. (1) Consequences need to be commensurate in some way with offense such that they are a deterrent but not over the top and (2) a response to a break-in needs to consider risk and cost-benefit--what risk does the perpetrator pose, what are the costs and benefits of various actions against them. So, if someone breaks in because they are starving and need bread which they try to steal, they do not deserve to be raped because that is not commensurate with what they did, nor are they likely a physical risk to your family, nor would raping them be beneficial to society. Meanwhile, if a dangerous person with a weapon is on crack is rummaging through your house, it may be smartest to shoot them, still not rape them though, as that creates more risk with little benefit to the family or society.
    Right wing mentality means fear does the thinking, not rationality.

  3. Top | #263
    Senior Member crazyfingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    860
    Archived
    13,699
    Total Posts
    14,559
    Rep Power
    66
    El Paso county officials rip trump a new one with scathing resolution over his lies. Yes they call them lies.I see no mincing of words.

    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...rime#read-more

  4. Top | #264
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    203
    Archived
    333
    Total Posts
    536
    Rep Power
    42
    The impasse as far as I can see it is this: Trump marketed the Wall initially with a racist tag-line - he referred to Mexicans as rapists, murderers, criminals, he called them animals at one point - and those that oppose racism (conservatives would call libtards) are in no way going to get behind that. The wall was toast from the get go.

    Conservatives don't understand that a wall constructed in the spirit of "Mexican immigrants as rapists, murderers criminals, animals" is not going to fly with non-conservatives.

    If he had said very little, maybe mentioned that he is going to build a structure to dissuade people against dangerous desert treks and help direct them to safe points of crossing - he may have been able to slip it by.

    But what good would that have been as a fear tactic? Obviously the conservatives didn't go that route - even though it may have actually had a chance to get a wall built.

    Nope. It had to be fear tactics.

  5. Top | #265
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    4,349
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    9,388
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    The impasse as far as I can see it is this: Trump marketed the Wall initially with a racist tag-line - he referred to Mexicans as rapists, murderers, criminals, he called them animals at one point - and those that oppose racism (conservatives would call libtards) are in no way going to get behind that. The wall was toast from the get go.

    Conservatives don't understand that a wall constructed in the spirit of "Mexican immigrants as rapists, murderers criminals, animals" is not going to fly with non-conservatives.

    If he had said very little, maybe mentioned that he is going to build a structure to dissuade people against dangerous desert treks and help direct them to safe points of crossing - he may have been able to slip it by.

    But what good would that have been as a fear tactic? Obviously the conservatives didn't go that route - even though it may have actually had a chance to get a wall built.

    Nope. It had to be fear tactics.
    I like the fact that border town folk are speaking up about how safe their communities are. It's not so amazing the lies coming from trump. Even El Paso is safer than it's ever been, and has nothing to do with any barriers.

    Conservatives love fear and having enemies. If you want their support you've got to use those two ingredients everywhere and all the time.

  6. Top | #266
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Layton, UT
    Posts
    868
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    The impasse as far as I can see it is this: Trump marketed the Wall initially with a racist tag-line - he referred to Mexicans as rapists, murderers, criminals, he called them animals at one point - and those that oppose racism (conservatives would call libtards) are in no way going to get behind that. The wall was toast from the get go.

    Conservatives don't understand that a wall constructed in the spirit of "Mexican immigrants as rapists, murderers criminals, animals" is not going to fly with non-conservatives.

    If he had said very little, maybe mentioned that he is going to build a structure to dissuade people against dangerous desert treks and help direct them to safe points of crossing - he may have been able to slip it by.

    But what good would that have been as a fear tactic? Obviously the conservatives didn't go that route - even though it may have actually had a chance to get a wall built.

    Nope. It had to be fear tactics.
    I like the fact that border town folk are speaking up about how safe their communities are. It's not so amazing the lies coming from trump. Even El Paso is safer than it's ever been, and has nothing to do with any barriers.

    Conservatives love fear and having enemies. If you want their support you've got to use those two ingredients everywhere and all the time.
    Agreed. I know many people who live within ~20 minutes of the border, and they loathe ICE and BP. No wonder too, when you have to drive through a BP checkpoint just to go to the grocery store, you're going to start feeling like you're in a police state. A lot of them put signs in the desert and leave water out, even though the BP is trying to persecute people for doing that.

  7. Top | #267
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    The impasse as far as I can see it is this: Trump marketed the Wall initially with a racist tag-line - he referred to Mexicans as rapists, murderers, criminals, he called them animals at one point - and those that oppose racism (conservatives would call libtards) are in no way going to get behind that. The wall was toast from the get go.

    Conservatives don't understand that a wall constructed in the spirit of "Mexican immigrants as rapists, murderers criminals, animals" is not going to fly with non-conservatives.

    If he had said very little, maybe mentioned that he is going to build a structure to dissuade people against dangerous desert treks and help direct them to safe points of crossing - he may have been able to slip it by.

    But what good would that have been as a fear tactic? Obviously the conservatives didn't go that route - even though it may have actually had a chance to get a wall built.

    Nope. It had to be fear tactics.
    I like the fact that border town folk are speaking up about how safe their communities are. It's not so amazing the lies coming from trump. Even El Paso is safer than it's ever been, and has nothing to do with any barriers.

    Conservatives love fear and having enemies. If you want their support you've got to use those two ingredients everywhere and all the time.
    Agreed. I know many people who live within ~20 minutes of the border, and they loathe ICE and BP. No wonder too, when you have to drive through a BP checkpoint just to go to the grocery store, you're going to start feeling like you're in a police state. A lot of them put signs in the desert and leave water out, even though the BP is trying to persecute people for doing that.
    Search youtube for "border patrol checkpoint refuse"

    Thousands of dash-cam videos of American Citizens fed up with being asked for "their papers".. and much instruction on how to be a complete pain in their ass. Quotes such as, "we are 50 miles from the border and I am just trying to travel freely"... and "I don't answer questions, am I free to go"... "Are you detaining me and if so, for suspicion of what crime?"

  8. Top | #268
    Contributor angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    9,068
    Archived
    5,706
    Total Posts
    14,774
    Rep Power
    52
    Any nation that doesn't control it's borders is no longer a nation but is what many on the left aspire to: a globalist fantasy utopia that's not possible for many reasons. One and the main one is independence!

  9. Top | #269
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    4,349
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    9,388
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Any nation that doesn't control it's borders is no longer a nation but is what many on the left aspire to: a globalist fantasy utopia that's not possible for many reasons. One and the main one is independence!
    A wall makes us an independent nation. I don't recall that from my civics classes.

  10. Top | #270
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    9,600
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    10,307
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Any nation that doesn't control it's borders is no longer a nation but is what many on the left aspire to: a globalist fantasy utopia that's not possible for many reasons. One and the main one is independence!
    A wall makes us an independent nation. I don't recall that from my civics classes.
    Obviously you didn't have Donsky Trumpovich as your professor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •