Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-supernatural 'religion' and 'god'

1. Top | #11
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    For the past 10 - 15 years my highest ideal has been knowledge and the pursuit of it. Just living my life has never been enough, I have to know why things are the way they are and why they work the way they do. What I never expected was to get to a point where that curiosity and pursuit felt like it was sated, and I'd be able to go back to just living my life again. But that's where I'm at. I'm not omniscient, but there isn't much that I don't know that I feel I need to learn about.

So now it's less about knowledge, more about enjoying my life within the context of that understanding.
    I have to say that that seems very..... evolved.

Sometimes I wish I could get to that point. It makes so much sense, First, no matter how much we learn, we will never understand anything completely (so it's ultimately pointless). Second, at some stage, if we don't die before our time, we're going to get to a stage of mental decrepitude where we forget it all. Third, we're going to die eventually, at which point it will not matter to us in the slightest what we knew. Fourth, by being inquisitive and pondering and such, we are actually wasting valuable time that could more rewardingly be occupied by trying to have as much fun, pleasure, happiness and enjoyment of the moment as possible while we're alive.

Hey, I think I just found my new god!

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Fourth, by being inquisitive and pondering and such, we are actually wasting valuable time that could more rewardingly be occupied by trying to have as much fun, pleasure, happiness and enjoyment of the moment as possible while we're alive.
    Being inquisitive and pondering is fun for me, though, which is why I do it. A lot of it is a function of where you sit on the extraversion spectrum. For instance, for strong extroverts reading and learning is boring. It's not a conscious choice they make, it's a function of their brain. So you get a lot of extroverts who prize action and excitement over quiet study and reflection. It's just what makes them feel good.

Where for strong introverts like me reading and learning hits the excitement sweet spot. It makes me feel engaged to continuously understand the world and gradually become a better person. I don't do it because I think it's some kind of noble goal to pursue, I do it because it's what I value and enjoy doing.

ETA: the reason I am starting to move away learning is because at some point you start getting diminishing returns. Sure, in terms of pure data you could go on infinitely, but for most fields of study the most relevant facts aren't actually that broad, and given enough time a lot of them are knowable. So at this point I really don't need to go further down the road.
    Last edited by rousseau; 01-12-2019 at 12:18 AM.