Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did we win?

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    The government would invest more in public education
    Public education? But public education is evil, because that means people would be learning things. And we all know what happens when you learn things! It means... it means... people might move away from religion!
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

2. Top | #22
    That's funny. I thought private (religious) schools had smarter kids.

2018 High School Graduation median grade rankings (VCE /ATAR in Australia)

Here are some words selectively plucked from the names of the top 20 schools.
    Presbyterian
    Saint
    Anglican
    Trinity
    Baptist
    Sacred Heart
    Immaculate
    Adass Israel

...and the highest scoring student?
    She was from Bialik College. A strict Jewish school.

3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post

2018 High School Graduation median grade rankings (VCE /ATAR in Australia)

Here are some words selectively plucked from the names of the top 20 schools.
    Presbyterian
    Saint
    Anglican
    Trinity
    Baptist
    Sacred Heart
    Immaculate
    Adass Israel

...and the highest scoring student?
    She was from Bialik College. A strict Jewish school.
    Jews get that Jesus isn't the Messiah. That's why they're smarter than Christians.

4. Top | #24
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Of course they do: they are also only accessible to people who can afford to pay the fees, which precludes children with poor backgrounds, meaning that the struggling kids are mostly found in the public system. Private schools also poach the best teachers because they can afford to pay them more.

I went to an Anglican school after leaving two piss-poor public high schools. The difference in student quality and teacher quality was astonishing. Personally, I went from a F student to an A student within a year and won academic awards in my senior years. I thrived at the private school because I wasn't the only "bookworm" in my class--I was just one among many. Very few students were actually Anglican.

Public schools simply suffer from endemic anti-intellectualism that could be cured if they had more intellectually-inclined students.

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post

Jews get that Jesus isn't the Messiah. That's why they're smarter than Christians.
    My friend accepts Jesus and now calls himself a "Messianic Jew" ... and He's still very smart.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post

My friend accepts Jesus and now calls himself a "Messianic Jew" ... and He's still very smart.
    That is a thing, but most Jews do not accept Jesus as Messiah.

7. Top | #27
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Of course they do: they are also only accessible to people who can afford to pay the fees, which precludes children with poor backgrounds, meaning that the struggling kids are mostly found in the public system. Private schools also poach the best teachers because they can afford to pay them more.
    Actually, there are two other very important factors:

1) Students in such schools are only there because the parents care. Thus you have eliminated one of the biggest problems public schools face: parents who don't care.

2) Private schools can expel inferior or disruptive students. Once again, students get more time for actual education.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Have to send a big shout-out and thanks to the New Atheism movement for kicking the hornets nest...for not letting sleeping dogs lay. That humongous attack on pedophiles hiding in the clergy and the subsequent exposure of atheists masquerading as priests was epic. Richard Dawkins' great "Come Out" campaign. LOL
    I missed this. There was a huge bust of fake catholics priests?

I remember the "clergy project" about people who had lost their faith but were priests and so deep into it that their livelihood and family and everything depended on it so they kept on pretending.
    There likely are priests in the RCC who do not believe in god, but feign piety so they can maintain their day jobs. On the other hand, Lion's claim that pedophile priests in the RCC are closet atheists is a falsehood; he has been repeating this lie for some time and has not provided evidence to support his claim. Like most things this poster says, it is designed to be provocative and stir the pot; in my opinion, he is just a troll in a bad jester costume.

9. Top | #29
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Pretty soon it becomes obvious that the humiliating pounding has had an effect. I think that is what we are seeing.
    I hope so. I am happy to see the change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    There likely are priests in the RCC who do not believe in god, but feign piety so they can maintain their day jobs. On the other hand, Lion's claim that pedophile priests in the RCC are closet atheists is a falsehood; he has been repeating this lie for some time and has not provided evidence to support his claim. Like most things this poster says, it is designed to be provocative and stir the pot; in my opinion, he is just a troll in a bad jester costume.
    Still waiting for a response from Lion. It was an odd thing to just throw out there with no reference.

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    About a decade ago I was deep in the mix of the Atheist vs Christian debates. I've been an atheist, and anti-religion since childhood, but this was a fevered pitch of it that I hadn't seen until then. Then more recently my focus has switched away from Atheism vs Fundamentalist Christian and more towards Identity Politics of both the left and right. The Sam Harris interview with Cenk Uyger in which Sam had moved from attacking Christianity and onto Islam and Cenk's (and Aflek's) gut reaction to scramble to protect islam/Muslims may have been the transition point for me.

Today I don't meet or see many fundamentalist Christians pushing their religion on others. It hasn't been done to me for a long time now. It seems to have become not just accepted, but almost cool to be an Atheist. We used to get reactions of horror to it. Are we still the "most hated group" and is being an atheist still the one thing that will prevent you from taking office? Or have we won?

Note, I'm talking about the west. Go to many parts of the world and atheism is still something you need to keep secretive about, and I don't only mean in the middle east. Go to the Philippines for example and talk against religion and you won't like the reactions. I have heard it is similar in south america but I haven't been there more than for a few days in Galapagos, so somebody can correct me / inform me on that.
    Don't worry, there will always be someone you can point to as "the enemy".
    and, I gather from this from this meta-post, you too continue to find magnets for your dainty disdainful digit.