Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The listing of awards for films is annoying.

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

The listing of awards for films is annoying.

Awards mean nothing. It doesn't mean the film is any good. It doesn't mean anybody liked it. That it had artistic merit. It means literally nothing. It's got to do with the people involved. I used to be an event manager. For just these sorts of things. An award show is a party. Partly to make the talent happy, and partly for publicity. The award itself is just a fetish. A symbol to hang the party upon. Nobody cares. It certainly doesn't matter a damn who wins the award. The big prize is being nominated. It means you were invited to the party. Which is what it's all about. Winners and losers all share in that glory. But most people invited aren't involved in any of the films up for the award. It's just industry folk. Friends and family. Slutty girls. Rock starts. Tall trannies. Clowns. Well dressed gay stylists. Etc. The cool people. It's only the first time award winners are teary eyed on stage. The next time they've wisened up to the great "honour" they've been bestowed.

Yet, when I look up a movie or a person in the industry the awards it has won is the most prominent feature. On Wikipedia a film makers filmography is an extra click away. Which is always the most interesting thing about them. Yet, their awards is always on the front page, taking up space. I promise that I will never care about any award in history ever. All that "information" can just please go away now. Once the party has come and gone, there is no reason to keep reminding people about the flimsy excuse to throw that party.

Why this obsession about awards on the Internet? I don't get it. If you weren't even at the party why would you ever care? And why annoy me with listing them EVERYWHERE possible?

2. Top | #2
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Why one should not put much stock in awards, in any field:

Do you remember that in classical times when Cicero had finished speaking, the people said, "How well he spoke" but when Demosthenes had finished speaking, they said, "Let us march."

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    I watch the music awards because I like to see performances. Well, I record the shows and usually zoom through the presentations. The movie/tv industry is a strange one, I don't know why anyone would watch that. Unless Ricky Gervais is hosting.

4. Top | #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    I watch the music awards because I like to see performances. Well, I record the shows and usually zoom through the presentations. The movie/tv industry is a strange one, I don't know why anyone would watch that. Unless Ricky Gervais is hosting.
    Ricky Gervais isn't funny. There. I finally fucking said it. After watching many of his standup specials and hearing him speak, and just knowing who he is forever, he's the most popular unfunny comedian on the planet.

Fuck Ricky Gervais.

I feel better now.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post
    Ricky Gervais isn't funny. There. I finally fucking said it. After watching many of his standup specials and hearing him speak, and just knowing who he is forever, he's the most popular unfunny comedian on the planet.

Fuck Ricky Gervais.

I feel better now.
    Ricky Gervais, not funny ? Are you having a laugh ?

Is he having a laugh ?

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The award show is a show in its own right. It's entertainment. There's nothing wrong about watching those. I've been to loads of award shows. I love 'em. But I still don't care who wins.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opoponax View Post

Fuck Ricky Gervais.

I feel better now.
    Ricky Gervais is a comedic genius IMHO. He's just over-exposed. Humour depends upon surprise to work. But when you're so intimate with a man's style that you know what he's going to say before he says it, it's time to take a break. I love that guy. I've even seen him live. But I had to stop watching him, because I was burned out on him. That's not his fault. This happens to all over-exposed comedians. It's standard.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    The award show is a show in its own right. It's entertainment. There's nothing wrong about watching those. I've been to loads of award shows. I love 'em. But I still don't care who wins.
    I never watch the Oscars, that event is not entertaining in the least. Viewing figures for the Oscars has been dwindling because it is pretty crap viewing. And there are still people I know make it an event at their home, an "Oscar Party" and are invested in who wins. I do know quite a few industry people and they do seem to care about who wins.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    I'd agree that music awards are meaningless and of no relation to quality. At most they reflect popularity, which is a product of mindless conformity, and with usually a negative correlation to artistic merit.

However, I think that film awards generally have more relation to artistic merit. It's not about who wins among the nominees, rather more that the nominees overall tend to be of higher quality and worth a look moreso than the average film or performance. IOW, the "hit rate" among Oscar nominees is generally much higher than if you just randomly picked 5 movies released that year. I rarely watch, unless I like the host, and even then I record it and fast forward through all the acceptance speeches. But I do look up the nominees each year and make an effort to watch them. Sometimes there are duds, and certainly there are great films and performances that don't get nominated. But getting nominated seems a better predictor for films I find worthy of watching than Rotten tomatoes, IMBD ratings, or box office.

A caveat to that is "comedy". The nominated comedies are usually still good films, but not really comedies, more like dramas with light hearted comedic moments, such as Oscar winners like The Descendants, Midnight in Paris, or The Artist. If a movie can be described as "poignant", it probably has few major laughs. And great side splitting funny movies get completely ignored b/c they are too "low brow". Anchorman, Dodgeball, SuperTroopers, and 40 year Old Virgin come to mind.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    I never watch the Oscars, that event is not entertaining in the least. Viewing figures for the Oscars has been dwindling because it is pretty crap viewing. And there are still people I know make it an event at their home, an "Oscar Party" and are invested in who wins. I do know quite a few industry people and they do seem to care about who wins.
    It's just a flimsy excuse to have a party. I have no problem with that. Non-retarded people can go to parties like that, have fun, and still not care who wins.