Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating short dresses and cleavage on teens

1. Top | #371
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

How did men ever manage to be in charge of anything????
    Women nagged us until we got our lazy asses up off of the couch and built an oppressive patriarchal society like we'd promised to months ago. That can be programmed into the sex bots.

2. Top | #372
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

Women nagged us until we got our lazy asses up off of the couch and built an oppressive patriarchal society like we'd promised to months ago. That can be programmed into the sex bots.
    Yeah, you messed that up, too because you didn't listen: It was supposed to be MATRIARCHAL not PATRIARCHAL. M not P.

3. Top | #373
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

Yeah, you messed that up, too because you didn't listen: It was supposed to be MATRIARCHAL not PATRIARCHAL. M not P.
    I'll be honest - we weren't actually paying attention to whatever it was you were saying and we just nodded politely until you left us alone. Also, we were probably drunk. It's kind of amazing we even got as close as we did, so good job by us.

4. Top | #374
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I'll be honest - we weren't actually paying attention to whatever it was you were saying and we just nodded politely until you left us alone. Also, we were probably drunk. It's kind of amazing we even got as close as we did, so good job by us.
    It is impossible to argue with any of that...

5. Top | #375
    How nice of you to allow me to have an opinion!
    I simply said that something was a matter of opinion. It's the sort of thing I'd say to anyone when something is in fact a matter of opinion. That you read it the way you did is, quick frankly, just weird, and pretty much encapsulates why I can't be bothered to engage with you much, because sooner or later, mostly sooner, you skew what I say.
    Last edited by ruby sparks; 02-11-2019 at 11:43 PM.

6. Top | #376
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    How nice of you to allow me to have an opinion!
    I simply said that something was a matter of opinion. It's the sort of thing I'd say to anyone when something is in fact a matter of opinion. That you read it the way you did is, quick frankly, just weird, and pretty much encapsulates why I can't be bothered to engage with you much, because sooner or later, mostly sooner, you skew what I say.
    The nature of this forum is that people discuss, share ideas and viewpoints, and sometimes argue with each other. Nobody always agrees with anybody else. Nobody is 100% consistent in every discussion. We may or may not read other people’s posts with care and respect every single time.

I get the impression that you want everybody to like you all of the time—or at least the men. I get the impression you think the women should simply accept your viewpoint as the last word and like it.

My take: you may be raising daughters and you may be a great dad. You are not a great expert on how women think. That’s ok. I’m not a great expert on how men think despite my decades of marriage and having raised sons.

Sometimes we will agree. Sometimes we won’t. Deal with it. Or don’t.

7. Top | #377
    But, apart from the fact that you're pretty much doing it again (reading my mind, wrong, while, ironically, telling me I'm supposedly, you think, reading minds, wrong) how on earth did you, actually, seriously, think what I said had anything, anything at all, to do with 'allowing you to have an opinion'?
    Last edited by ruby sparks; 02-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.

8. Top | #378
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    But, apart from the fact that you're pretty much doing it again (reading my mind, wrong, while, ironically, telling me I'm supposedly, you think, reading minds, wrong) how on earth did you, actually, seriously, think what I said had anything, anything at all, to do with 'allowing you to have an opinion'?
    Here's the part of your post that started this particular tiff. I bolded the part that I responded to in a way that you find so offensive:

You:
    That's a matter of opinion. Some would say it was very fast. Humans have been doin' their thing for hundreds of thousands of years and more, and the roots of behaviour go way back before that, possibly millions of years. How long have modern views on gender been taken seriously on a wide scale? I have no problem if you disagree and think progress too slow.
    Now, we live on opposite sides of the pond. I will be frank and say that I know zero Irishmen in real life. Irish Americans? Sure but I know that's not the same thing. I'm an American woman who was raised by a man who taught me to think for myself and who was extremely forthright in stating his views. I'm told I take after him a lot.

So, I think that perhaps you maybe need to consider that there might be some slight cultural differences and perhaps more differences of personality at work here.

That said: this thread has been full of men (not all of you but quite a few) who have gone on for page after page after page, telling women why we think/do what we do and guess what? It's all about trying to get you to have sex with us!

Did I react sharply to the bolded part? I don't think so but you may see it differently. I was being a little arch, a little playful. I'd spent a lot of threads reading about how men were sure we know better than we do about why we dress the way we do. So yes, I was handing it back to you a bit. So what?

You took my words differently. In part, there is no physical/visual cues to help discern tone or implicit meaning.

There is no part where I am claiming to read your mind. Zero. I state my perceptions of what you might be meaning. That's not the same thing.

I'm sorry that you don't understand my humor or my point of view. But again: I'm not the person or gender in this thread who is trying to tell others why they think what they do or think.

In the US, we might say something like: it looks like you have a chip on your shoulder. From my perspective, I think you do have. I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to me.

9. Top | #379
    In the US, we might say something like: it looks like you have a chip on your shoulder. From my perspective, I think you do have. I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to me.
    That tells me what's going on in your head at least. Not that it wasn't obvious. What's up next, asking me when I stopped beating my wife?

Toni, quite honestly, you're very annoying, the presumptions you make.

10. Top | #380
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That tells me what's going on in your head at least. Not that it wasn't obvious. What's up next, asking me when I stopped beating my wife?

Toni, quite honestly, you're very annoying, the presumptions you make.
    That's quite rich, given the posts you've made in this thread.