Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake identity in Tinder, should it be a crime

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    This could really clog up the courts. Doesn't everyone sort of lie, or at least withhold information, to some degree when it comes to dating? Its hard to know where you would draw the line....very subjective. If you want to date a blonde, and you find out after 6 months that she's a brunette who dyes her hair blonde, does that count?
    That's not the issue here. The issue is when the person says they are divorced but they are not.
    Yeah, that shouldn't be a crime. And why does it matter that it's on Tinder?

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    The ghost of William F, Buckley just materialized and asked what the government's interest in this particular issue might be.

If a person uses false pretenses to obtain a legally binding contract, there are laws which deal with this problem. If a person lies while under oath, there are laws for that, as well.

Unfortunately, unless information shared over the internet is classified as interstate commerce, the Federal Government has no overriding need to intervene in romantic affairs. There was a time in this country when adultery and other sex acts outside of a legally binding marriage were crimes. We've gotten away from that.

Any person who enters into an intimate relationship with someone, is responsible for the due diligence of determining they are who they present themselves to be.
    I believe the principle is caveat emptor.

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't see how the dating app is even relevant--said cad could do the same thing in person. Thus I would categorically oppose a law restricting lies in dating apps.

While I can see the point of prohibiting certain lies (they would have to be enumerated, otherwise you get too much grey area) in the quest for a romantic relationship I think the downsides outweigh the benefits.

However, I do see the possibility of a dating app that includes a background check as part of signing up.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Shouldn't be a crime. Get over it, move on with life. Better yet, don't use dating apps.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    Shouldn't be a crime. Get over it, move on with life. Better yet, don't use dating apps.
    She was duped into having a sexual relationship and she should just get over it ? Her point of view is that it is (or may be) a form of sexual assault. I think she has a point.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Gun control's not gonna work guys, but telling people not to lie definitely is.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    *sigh* It's not about telling people not to lie. It's more about a case of fraud for which there should be legal ramifications. But I suspect you knew that.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Or more importantly, a guy is technically lying to his spouse by even being ON a dating site, but lying to possible matches is the crime...

9. Top | #19
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    *sigh* It's not about telling people not to lie. It's more about a case of fraud for which there should be legal ramifications. But I suspect you knew that.
    This certainly isn't limited to the Internet. How do you draw a line for lies told while dating?

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    This certainly isn't limited to the Internet. How do you draw a line for lies told while dating?
    Well in this case, so far, it is about online dating and that is where Ms Anna Rowe is fighting the battle.

So, as poster ronburgandy points out;

Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Yeah, being married is a legal status, that legally prevent any other woman from marrying the person and which means the married persons assets are not legally their own.
    Lying about one's legal status and legal commitments that legally impact the other party seems a rather clear cut place to "draw the line".

As to why only on dating app sites, it isn't about it being a dating app per se, but that it is a written public record of the lie, making it easy to prove that the lie was told, unlike a verbal statement.

Alternatively to it being a crime, it could just be made strong grounds for a civil suit, more akin to breach of a legal contract.