Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fake identity in Tinder, should it be a crime

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
    Gun control's not gonna work guys, but telling people not to lie definitely is.
    *sigh* It's not about telling people not to lie. It's more about a case of fraud for which there should be legal ramifications. But I suspect you knew that.
    People can lie on background checks too, which is one of the reasons people put forward for why background checks are useless. According to your proposition all we would have to do is make lying on background checks illegal.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Gun control's not gonna work guys, but telling people not to lie definitely is.
    *sigh* It's not about telling people not to lie. It's more about a case of fraud for which there should be legal ramifications. But I suspect you knew that.
    People can lie on background checks too, which is one of the reasons people put forward for why background checks are useless. According to your proposition all we would have to do is make lying on background checks illegal.
    That's not what I am on about at all and you know that. Thanks for playing, now jog on.

3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

That's not what I am on about at all and you know that. Thanks for playing, now jog on.
    I'm simply pointing out a consequence of your proposition, but okay.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's not about telling people not to lie. It's more about a case of fraud for which there should be legal ramifications.
    But then won't the lawyers go through the plaintiff's online dating profiles with a fine-toothed-comb and point out every single lie, mistruth, omission, and slanted truth, to prove that the defrauded one was 'just as bad' and 'asking for it?'
    At least convince the jury that two lying liars caught each other out, throw the case out?

Or the defendants will roll out the same tired defenses people have been using for forever. "It's not REALLY a lie, we haven't had sex in (weeks/months/years), so we're effectively divorced..."

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    But then won't the lawyers go through the plaintiff's online dating profiles with a fine-toothed-comb and point out every single lie, mistruth, omission, and slanted truth, to prove that the defrauded one was 'just as bad' and 'asking for it?' At least convince the jury that two lying liars caught each other out, throw the case out?
    They could defend it anyway they like I suppose. But right now, it's not a crime and Ms Rowe thinks it should be for various reasons.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    But then won't the lawyers go through the plaintiff's online dating profiles with a fine-toothed-comb and point out every single lie, mistruth, omission, and slanted truth, to prove that the defrauded one was 'just as bad' and 'asking for it?' At least convince the jury that two lying liars caught each other out, throw the case out?
    They could defend it anyway they like I suppose. But right now, it's not a crime and Ms Rowe thinks it should be for various reasons.
    And Ms Rowe is wrong.

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    And Ms Rowe is wrong.
    You may disagree with her and that's cool but I believe she is starting to get some traction on this issue.

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Shouldn't be a crime. Get over it, move on with life. Better yet, don't use dating apps.
    She was duped into having a sexual relationship and she should just get over it ? Her point of view is that it is (or may be) a form of sexual assault. I think she has a point.
    Yes, she should get over it, and be more careful next time. This is not sexual assault by any means.

9. Top | #29
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Shouldn't be a crime. Get over it, move on with life. Better yet, don't use dating apps.
    She was duped into having a sexual relationship and she should just get over it ? Her point of view is that it is (or may be) a form of sexual assault. I think she has a point.
    Yes, she should get over it, and be more careful next time. This is not sexual assault by any means.
    How about douche bags face consequences for their frauds ? Her point of view is that she did not consent to having sex with a married man, she did not get the choice. Fair point I say. You may disagree, fair enough.

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    How about douche bags face consequences for their frauds ?
    Normally by "consequences" in a society it means wielding the power of the State (or Federal) government to prosecute, fine and/or imprison. Are you proposing to establish a State or Federal law against public lying and if so, what are you proposing the penalty should be? Should it be a misdemeanor or a felony? Should it be a small fine or a large one; minimal jail time or maximum? And how do you justify any of it, let alone enforce it?

It's one thing to hold people accountable when testifying in a court of law or to Congress, but quite another to impose a law that requires every citizen to tell the truth at all times when in the public square (however that is defined).

And, of course, what is to prevent someone from falsely accusing someone else of having lied to them and how do you propose that be addressed in regard to a standard of evidence or presumption? Does that mean we would necessarily have to allow everyone to record every conversation they ever have in order to both protect against lies as well as false accusations of lies?

See where this is heading? You are, in very real effect, arguing that we should point the loaded gun of State/Federal punishment at everyone's head all the time so that they only speak "the truth" (whatever that may actually be), while at the same time never have a private conversation with anyone without recording it.

All because some person didn't do a very good job of checking on the background of someone they found on a fucking dating app. Or, rather, a dating fucking app.