Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suicide machines?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Suicide machines?

Does anyone wish to discuss the legitimacy and propriety of such machines?

Jack Kevorkian
    According to his lawyer Geoffrey Fieger, Kevorkian assisted in the deaths of 130 terminally ill people between 1990 and 1998. In each of these cases, the individuals themselves allegedly took the final action which resulted in their own deaths. Kevorkian allegedly assisted only by attaching the individual to a euthanasia device that he had devised and constructed. The individual then pushed a button which released the drugs or chemicals that would end his or her own life. Two deaths were assisted by means of a device which delivered the euthanizing drugs intravenously. Kevorkian called the device a "Thanatron" ("Death machine", from the Greek thanatos meaning "death").[18] Other people were assisted by a device which employed a gas mask fed by a canister of carbon monoxide, which Kevorkian called the "Mercitron" ("Mercy machine").
    Euthanasia device, Suicide bag, Suicide booth
    A suicide bag, also known as an exit bag or hood,[1][2] is a euthanasia device consisting of a large plastic bag with a drawcord used to commit suicide through inert gas asphyxiation. It is usually used in conjunction with a flow of an inert gas like helium or nitrogen, which prevents the panic, sense of suffocation and struggling before unconsciousness, known as the hypercapnic alarm response [3]:45 caused by the presence of high carbon dioxide concentrations in the blood.[3] This method also makes the direct cause of death difficult to trace if the bag and gas canister are removed before the death is reported.[4][5][6]
    A Doctor Built a Machine That Helps People Die - Tonic
    Literal death machine offers a way to peacefully slip out of existence (The Next Web)

It's a sort of "death pod". One gets inside of it, and it then supplies nitrogen gas. It kills by suffocation, because it isn't oxygen. The pod has windows, so that its user can see outside of it. So one can die as one watches some outdoor scenery, like a sunset.

Other gases could work, especially noble gases. I know of someone who committed suicide by breathing helium. He researched various ways of dying and he decided that breathing helium was the most pleasant way to go.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If you're an asshole who wants to leave a mess, you can always just use a revolver.

3. Top | #3
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    If you're an asshole who wants to leave a mess, you can always just use a revolver.
    To the 95% of us who are not American, revolvers are hard to obtain.

They are also less likely to provide a painless death, unless the individual is both a keen student of human anatomy, and an excellent shot in a difficult situation.

A terminally ill person may well be incapable of lifting a revolver, much less aiming it correctly to ensure death (and it's even more difficult to ensure painless death).

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

They are also less likely to provide a painless death, unless the individual is both a keen student of human anatomy, and an excellent shot in a difficult situation.

A terminally ill person may well be incapable of lifting a revolver, much less aiming it correctly to ensure death (and it's even more difficult to ensure painless death).
    It's a great way to leave a mess, though.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts

It's a great way to leave a mess, though.
    Sure. But if a mess is the sole objective, you could just jump into a wood chipper.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Any short of short gun can substitute, like a semiautomatic pistol. That's the kind that stores its bullets in its handle.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Any short of short gun can substitute, like a semiautomatic pistol. That's the kind that stores its bullets in its handle.
    All kinds of handguns are hard to obtain for civilians outside the USA.

And a 'semiautomatic' is any self-loading gun that requires a separate trigger pull for each shot (as opposed to an automatic, which continues to load and fire as long as the trigger is depressed). The location of the magazine is irrelevant - although the grip is usually the most obvious place for it in the case of semiautomatic pistols.

Any firearm with a barrel shorter than 24" is a prohibited weapon in the UK, other than for police, the military, or licenced firing ranges and firearms dealers (there are also exceptions for historic pistols if you are a museum or collector of such antiquities). Ordinary citizens can only obtain them illegally, and the police and courts are VERY harsh with regards to any illegal possession of such weapons.

Suicide with long arms is even more difficult than with a handgun. But as I said before, even a handgun is a poor choice for anyone who wants a painless death, unless they are both a good shot, and well versed in human anatomy. A surprising number of handgun suicide attempts fail - and non-fatal head injuries are painful.

(I used to work for a gunsmith in the UK, so I am quite familiar with firearms, and with the legal difficulties in obtaining them in places with sane regulations).

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    All kinds of handguns are hard to obtain for civilians outside the USA.
    That could be our next industry... Terminal Tourism.

Handgun and cremation facilities located at various scenic attractions. Blow your brains out while looking at the St. Louis Arch, a Saturn V Rocket, a space shuttle, the Grand Canyon...
    Pre-address the package for your ashes, shipping price included in your termination fee.

An ad campaign, You Can't Come To America To Live, But Come Over To Die!

9. Top | #9
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

If you're able-bodied a shot through the mouth is pretty reliable--a shotgun would be better. The people who commit suicide for medical reasons are likely not able to handle it well enough to aim properly.

I do think a nitrogen pod system would be a good idea. What we have seen from places where euthanasia is legal is that a lot of people don't choose to fight the slow things to the end.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_suicide

Here in Wa state there is assisted suicide damping on what you are afflicted with.

A few years back when I was in ICU with severe heart failure the cardiologists explained my condition, told me survival even with treatment was not certain, and if I wanted they would withhold treatment.

I believe suicide is a right. There is a point beyond which quality of life over rides living. I an DNR and DNI. Do not resuscitate, do not intubate, and no heroic lifesaving measures. I will be getting a bracket that says DNI DNR. If my heart stops I am done. I have seen what the result's of strokes and heart attacks can be. If I ended up like that would use assisted suicide.

A handgun is a machine, as is a noose. Whether you randomize when the machine functions or not is irrelevant.

We execute people when we deem it is right, we kill in war because we deem it right. Suicide to me is no different. With all the killing that goes on in war that we glorify, it is hypocritical to say ending one's own life is immoral.

Recent statistics around 20,000 people in USA suicide by gun every year.