Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Suicide machines?

1. Top | #51
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    If you have the so-called 'right' to end your own life then you must also have the equivalent right to sell your own body parts to the highest bidder. Folks who make snuff films might be interested.
    So this is the people will marry toasters argument against gay marriage equivalent to allowing to people to end their own lives peacefully.

"Well, if ya allow people who are suffering greatly to end their pain... then you are just going to have to let people be able to sell their organs on eBay! Those people who married toasters will love to be able to get their beloved toasters some internal organs!"

What's wrong with marrying a toaster?

Why can't people sell their kidneys?
    ...or their unborn embryos?

2. Top | #52
    Veteran Member
    See, this is the thing that annoys the crap out of me when folks accuse me of making a slippery slope argument.

They never admit that they can't actually find a place to draw a line on the slope. Neither can they offer a rational moral objection to 'marrying toasters'.

They don't have the honesty to agree that one person's slippery slope is another person's libertarian trail blazing for the rights of people to marry whoever they want, to do what they want with their own body, to enjoy their short life with how ever much hedonism they like.

3. Top | #53
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Why not just buy a motorbike? The result is the same. They're fully legal. And your suicide counts as an accident. So loved one's get money.

4. Top | #54
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    See, this is the thing that annoys the crap out of me when folks accuse me of making a slippery slope argument.

They never admit that they can't actually find a place to draw a line on the slope. Neither can they offer a rational moral objection to 'marrying toasters'.
    So you are upset that people won't put a pin on your slippery slope... and use that as an argument as to why people should have to live within the restrictions of the religion of your choice.

5. Top | #55
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

They don't have the honesty to agree that one person's slippery slope is another person's libertarian trail blazing for the rights of people to marry whoever they want, to do what they want with their own body, to enjoy their short life with how ever much hedonism they like.
    Well, "marrying" someone implies that they provided consent to be married to you. Since inanimate objects can't provide consent, it's the equivalent of saying that you should be able to sue your toaster for breach of contract because it didn't give you the million dollars it promised you if you could stand on one foot for a full minute in front of it. Being inanimate, it can't actually make that promise so it's not a thing that actually happened. It's the same with marrying the toaster. It's like the Princess Bride says:

Buttercup: I got married. I didn't want to. It all happened so fast.
    Westley: It never happened.
    Buttercup: What?
    Buttercup: But it did. I was there. This old man said, "Man and wife."
    Westley: Did you say, "I do"?
    Buttercup: [confused] No. We sort of skipped that part.
    Westley: Then you're not married. If you didn't say it, you didn't do it.
    A toaster will never say it, therefore it will never do it.

And before you ask, the answer is yes - quotes from The Princess Bride do actually form the foundational basis for Western legal systems. It's why all our governments have the official stance that ROUS's don't actually exist.

6. Top | #56
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What's wrong with marrying a toaster?
    Nothing wrong with it at all that wouldn't be fixed if the government simply stopped discriminating against people on the basis of marital status. In our future IOT-enabled kitchens, when you get some eleven-year-old to upload an app into your toaster that hijacks its lame-ass-marketing "Your toast is done now, sir." loudspeaker and makes it say "I do.", that won't actually force any of the rest of us treat you and/or the toaster any differently. So why would it be a moral issue?

Why can't people sell their kidneys?
    Same reason people can't contract to pay 1200% interest on a loan. Nobody would enter a deal like that except out of desperation. So if a market develops, participants are practically guaranteed to resort to illegal enforcement measures. Ounce of prevention/pound of cure.

...or their unborn embryos?
    What's the problem? People already sell their sperm and their ovums and it isn't wrecking civilization. Why anyone would want to buy an already fertilized egg out of somebody's womb instead of just doing in vitro fertilization I don't know, but if that's what floats somebody's boat, why should the rest of us object?

Well, apart from Loren there aren't any libertarians in the thread. Liberals trail blaze for people's rights too; progressives trail blaze for whichever social engineering they're in the mood for; social democrats trail blaze for their own right to vote out old social arrangements and vote in new ones; and so on and so forth and such like...

7. Top | #57
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post

Well, "marrying" someone implies that they provided consent to be married to you. Since inanimate objects can't provide consent, it's the equivalent of saying that you should be able to sue your toaster for breach of contract because....
    Who are you to tell me I can't marry my toaster.
    You're just trying to impose your Puritan ideas about marriage on me and the toaster I love - she consents to whatever I want to do to her.

Being inanimate, it can't actually make that promise so it's not a thing that actually happened. It's the same with marrying the toaster.
    Toaster-phobic hate speech!

It's like the Princess Bride says:

Buttercup: I got married. I didn't want to. It all happened so fast.
    Buttercup: What?
    Buttercup: But it did. I was there. This old man said, "Man and wife."
    Westley: Did you say, "I do"?
    Buttercup: [confused] No. We sort of skipped that part.
    Westley: Then you're not married. If you didn't say it, you didn't do it.
    Man and wife. LOL
    Remember back in the old days when they used to say "...if anyone has a reason why these two should not be married"?

A toaster will never say it, therefore it will never do it.
    I hear pets have difficulty voicing the words "I do"
    http://www.marryyourpet.com/

And before you ask, the answer is yes - quotes from The Princess Bride do actually form the foundational basis for Western legal systems. It's why all our governments have the official stance that ROUS's don't actually exist.

8. Top | #58
    Veteran Member
    A Christian being annoyed? Probqably is not experiencing the true spirit.

No you can not marry a toaster. Firdt you can't get a marriqage license. Second if you are Christian youwill not find a minister to do the ceremony.

While we may think it odd. us atheists here likely would not presume to tell you what you can or can not do with a toaster. We might causation you to unplug during intimate moments and swimming.

9. Top | #59
    Veteran Member
    I have never given a negative rep point to anyone at TFF
    Not even for something as disgraceful as this;

"...I sincerely hope your death takes several years in a forgotten and run-down "home" and you experience nothing but agonizing pain that becomes a severe and devastating emotional and financial burden on your loved ones who will be forced to watch"
    Ok. How about being labeled as inherently bad and immoral destined for an eternal hell for being atheist?

10. Top | #60
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post