Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheese

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    I, much to my husbands disgust, do not like Brie, Camembert or blue cheese.

I do like a nice crisp sharp cheddar, or Edam, Swiss, Gouda or Jarlesberg. I also like a nice cream cheese, and will often use this instead of butter in my sandwich. I love Parmesan, but not that dried stuff that you get in the grocery aisle.
    Here's the real deal.

Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Much more than a fancy way to say “parmesan”, Parmigiano-Reggiano is a cheese that can only be made with extremely precise ingredients, in an extraordinarily particular process, in a 10,000-sq-km geographical area of Italy so carefully defined that you can make Parmigiano on one side of the small city of Bologna but not the other.
    Ahh!

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmbteach View Post
    I, much to my husbands disgust, do not like Brie, Camembert or blue cheese.

I do like a nice crisp sharp cheddar, or Edam, Swiss, Gouda or Jarlesberg. I also like a nice cream cheese, and will often use this instead of butter in my sandwich. I love Parmesan, but not that dried stuff that you get in the grocery aisle.
    Is that husbands plural?

3. Top | #23
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bought a block of creamy blue cheese earlier this week, and that's where my health all went downhill.

(also some jalapeno/garlic stuffed olives)

4. Top | #24
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I do like a nice bit of cheese. In a "you name it, I'll eat it. All of it." kind of way. Ever since I was a boy making grilled cheddar and oregano sandwiches. I had a burger earlier today with some emmenthal in, but here's a lamburger with stilton I had the other week ...

I'm also a fan of gorgonzola, which i regularly add to my ham & tomato baguettes, and for a treat, I'll put together a cheese board for a snack ...

From l to r, that's: A crottin-type goat's cheese, brie, and camembert. Best of the bunch was the goat's, deliciously creamy with a touch of sharpness.

Probably the only cheese I'd hesitate to eat would be casu marzu.

5. Top | #25
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mucius_Scaevola View Post
    Nice snack.

6. Top | #26
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Went out to eat and got an appetizer of cheese toast with a whipped ricotta on the side. I was stunned at how well the cool whipped ricotta paired with the oily baked cheese toast.

It was so good, my wife thought it was great... and she doesn't like cheese a lot.

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Forgot to mention ... I have a brother who doesn't like cheese at all. The rest of the family loves it, but he won't touch it. I don't know what went wrong with him, childhood trauma or something.

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    A simple sandwich I like.

Smear tomato paste on a piece of bread. Season with garlic powder. Add cheese and onions and the other piece of bread . Microwave until cheese melts.Add a few pieces of peperoni and microwave pizza sandwich. Or some ham.

Fast, little cleanup, and tastes good.

9. Top | #29
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The house staple here at the ranch is extra old white cheddar which I find most versatile for snacking and cooking. It pairs nicely with apple or celery for a night lunch and goes well in pasta dishes and grilled sandwiches which are infrequent indulgences for me.

I also like Brie and Camembert on occasion and there is a Mango Stilton at a local Deli that is above my pay grade but delicious for a rare treat, especially with a nice Malbec to accompany.

At the moment, I have a Habanero Cheddar and a Monterey Jack with Jalapeno in the fridge as they were on sale and are both color free cheeses.

Processed slices and Velveeta do not grace my pantry although I can appreciate that the convenience and price point may be an important consideration for others.

10. Top | #30
    Veteran Member
    I'm lactose-intolerant intolerant.