Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheese

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Cheese

I haven't seen a thread on cheese pop up in this section, and given that it's.. well, cheese, I think it deserves one.

I didn't get into the stuff from one of our locals until we bought a car and I could get out to our farmer's market. Back then I tried a bunch of varieties, but these days I pretty much stick to plain, old cheddar, with the occasional block of caramelized onion or habanero mixed in. The cheddar treads that line between flavour/cost nicely. I don't buy much, just enough for some cheese/crackers throughout the week.

Anyway, what do you like?

2. Top | #2
    I also like cheddar cheese. My favourite is Ditcheat cheddar.
    I am actually living very near to Cheddar and Ditcheat; we are spoiled for choice on the cheddar variations(mild, strong, mature extra mature etc).
    I also enjoy Dutch cheese.
    Last edited by Morgan; 02-04-2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling error

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When I have cheese mainly eat

Cheddar
    Brie
    Blue Cheese (mainly Stilton)

Pub I went in yesterday had some cheese out.

4. Top | #4
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Stilton is the food of the Gods.

Fortunately, as there are no Gods, I get to eat it instead.

On our last summertime trip to England, I insisted on staying a night at the Bell Inn, in Stilton. They had a platter with seven different Stilton cheeses on it. It was fantastic.

And there's nowt wrong with a bit of Wensleydale, either.

A nice soft cheese is good too - but these days the bacteriophobes have a stranglehold on decent soft cheese. Brie should be eaten at least four weeks after the 'best before' date as imposed by Australian authorities. The same goes double for rind-washed cheeses.

Not that there's anything wrong with hard cheeses. Samuel Pepys buried a wheel of Parmesan in his garden when the great fire of London threatened his home, and dug it up and consumed it after the fire. I consider it a tragedy that he did so before spaghetti bolognese became a common dish in England.

I can't be having with this so-called 'mild cheddar' the supermarkets stock though. It tastes worse than the plastic it's wrapped in.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Brands. I'm partial to particular brands Tillamook, Dubliner, yeah, cheddar. So different so titillating, so savory, so bright, so sharp. Git the red wine ma. Then there's swiss, munster, any kind of Jarlsberg, goat, herb, pungent, sooooft. Should we mill the parmesan or would you rather shave, perhaps use Romano instead ..... this is getting serious. How about with dills, or on burgers, or with mac, or to dip the cracker or bread?

I can't decide,

Hurry up with that wine.

Bottom lines. If it's cheese I'm in, especially if there's wine.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    I just bought a Camembert at a Farmer's Market (Is that white privilege?). It was so ripe that as soon as I unwrapped it, it began oozing out over the cutting board. It was excellent on a crusty sourdough baguette, with aromas of barnyard funk.

Other cheeses I love are Stilton, goat-milk Gorgonzola, soft funky washed-rind cheeses, cheddar (the sharper the bettter), and Bugarian/Hungarian feta. Most feta you see is domestic or French, and usually dry, crumbly, and salty. Bulgarian/Hungarian is sheep and goat milk based and is much more moist and creamy, but also usually cheaper.

But I'm no snob. Give me a bowl of melted Velveeta with Rotel (canned diced tomatoes with green chilies) and a bag of corn chips and I'm a happy camper. You can take the white boy outta the trash, but you can't take the white trash outta the boy.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    But I'm no snob. Give me a bowl of melted Velveeta with Rotel (canned diced tomatoes with green chilies) and a bag of corn chips and I'm a happy camper. You can take the white boy outta the trash, but you can't take the white trash outta the boy.
    Same, I keep a bottle of Cheeze Whiz on hand most of the time for toast and sesame seed bagels. I don't know that I actually put it in the same category as block cheese, but I like it.

8. Top | #8
    On a low cholestrol diet so I'll eat cheese when it's served, but I can't keep it at home. When I did I liked a glass of merlot along with Havarte with caraway seeds. Grated parmesian over steamed broccoli is like dessert.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When I was a young'un and we had a toaster oven, I used to melt a some muenster and a bit of butter on a slice of crusty Italian bread mom bought every Sunday. That and some of dad's Mogan David, okay, maybe Koolaid, but still excellent.
    Last edited by TV and credit cards; 02-04-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Failing memory
    Dwight

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    I've rarely met a cheese I didn't like. That shit called American though, isn't a proper cheese by any stretch.

I really like soft cheeses, and will often just spread them on a toasted sourdough. Roast beef (home made) with brie on sourdough is the best!

I may make a road trip to Seattle for the Cheese Festival this year. It's only about a 12 hour drive from where I am now.