Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 85 of 85

Thread: The Liar's paradox

  1. Top | #81
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    5,990
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    I guess i already explained my position so there's no need to repeat. Merely claiming something is dumb isn't good enough with me.
    EB
    Dumb, pointless, useless, however you want to term it. A logical model with no application is really nothing more than just a logical model with no application.

    There's nothing profound about a word game.
    Good, you've made that point already.

    If it's "dumb, pointless, useless", you really don't need to spend time pointing out it is more than once.

    Just relax and let go of it. I heard you.
    EB

  2. Top | #82
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,766
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    38,319
    Rep Power
    72
    Chomsky is a great genius.

    It is foolish to disagree with him.

  3. Top | #83
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,468
    Rep Power
    16

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    The application is the theory of logic. Apparently there's no theory of logic that solves the paradox. As such, this horse can still do some effective work.
    EB
    Because it's a dumb word game made up to have no solution. That's not effective work. That's nothing. We can theorize things that aren't real - whoop-dee-fucking-shit. We can also make up knock-knock jokes and limericks. The difference is that you need to be a little bit clever to create an effective limerick and this thing doesn't rise up to that bar.
    I guess i already explained my position so there's no need to repeat. Merely claiming something is dumb isn't good enough with me.
    EB
    Merely claiming that something IS a paradox isn't good enough for me.

    This sentence is not a sentence. #paradox
    Truth is a lie. #paradox
    Cars have horns. Cows have horns. #paradox


    Save water and waste paper. #paradox


  4. Top | #84
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    5,990
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    I guess i already explained my position so there's no need to repeat. Merely claiming something is dumb isn't good enough with me.
    EB
    Merely claiming that something IS a paradox isn't good enough for me.
    Who cares?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    This sentence is not a sentence. #paradox
    Truth is a lie. #paradox
    Cars have horns. Cows have horns. #paradox


    Save water and waste paper. #paradox

    You'd need to learn to articular your point, Bill.
    EB

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Chomsky is a great genius.

    It is foolish to disagree with him.
    I'm sure all the small geniuses glowing in the night would disagree with that.
    EB

  5. Top | #85
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    21,766
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    38,319
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Chomsky is a great genius.

    It is foolish to disagree with him.
    I'm sure all the small geniuses glowing in the night would disagree with that.
    EB
    He has bested them his whole life.



    If you watch this video to it's end you will see an 80 something Chomsky teaching a room full of small geniuses some lessons.

    It is a masterful demonstration of logic and reason.

    Great geniuses do great things.

    Besides his incredible work in politics Chomsky completely transformed the study of linguistics. There is now pre-Chomskian linguistics and post-Chomskian linguistics.

    Genius is only what genius does.

Similar Threads

  1. Lord, liar or lunatic
    By DrZoidberg in forum Freethought Humor
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM
  2. State News: It is not cool to call a tyrant a liar on global tv
    By Don2 (Don1 Revised) in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-18-2018, 08:53 PM
  3. The Fermi Paradox: where are they?
    By lpetrich in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM
  4. So is Trump just ignorant or is he that bad of a liar? (Child Care)
    By Jimmy Higgins in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-14-2016, 02:40 AM
  5. Paradox!
    By beero1000 in forum Logic and Epistemology
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 09-18-2014, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •